Hi guys,

Let’s see and hope that this post doesn’t get banned.

My short story:

I was loosing all my picks, many times happened that I needed a pick and couldn’t find one.
Searched online for pick cases and all of them just looked too plastic, bulky, ugly.
I decided to design one.
The idea came to me, design a pick case that would look great and would stick to the essential - having a pick that doesn’t get lost.
Fast forward, I came up with what you can see in the pictures bellow.

The pick case locks in your key ring and it’s just there.
House keys is something that you carry with you all the time which makes it perfect.
It’s made of solid brass - handmade through lost wax casting method. Manufactured in Rio Tinto in the north of Portugal.

I’m looking for some genuine feedback.
Feel free to say whatever pops in your mind, how do you feel about this?

Thank you guys,
Raul

P.S. Forum rules stated no advertising so I covered the brand name and website, hope it’s ok.
My answer was I started buying picks by the gross (much cheaper) years ago and when ever I take out one my guitars to go to a gig I put about a dozen picks in the case and after a few months most of cases had extra picks inside. That way when I forget to grab a few before leaving home I know there are some in my case. I also gave a small pill bottle with about 20 picks in it to my drummer that he keeps in his trap case as a backup.

I already have to much crap on my keychain but good luck with your idea.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 19, 2016,
Nifty!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
How much did you plan on selling them and who are you marketing this product to? I mean, it's cool and looks well done but I can't see how this is something that is super useful for somebody outside of "I don't like the aesthetics of a cheapo plastic one". I don't see that being a particularly large market either.

Personally, I just buy plastic pick holders because looks don't really matter to me when I just need something to hold picks. I also just tape them to the side of my amp on the bottom of my guitars. I also have a fishbowl that I throw loose guitar picks in as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Gotta admit, I kinda like it!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It is far from practical, but it nonetheless a cool thing.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I keep two picks on my keyring. I just melt a hole in the picks and stick them directly onto the ring.
This does look a lot cooler though. If it was cheap enough, I'd buy one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Good call, I didn't notice that. That makes it no better than mounting your picks directly onto the ring like I do.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's very nice, now you need to offer custom engraving.

I used to buy picks with a hole in them for better grip (Star picks?) until I discovered that you can use office hole puncher to do the same and stick loop them through my key holder, so as long as I have my keys, I have a pick.
I just heat up a piece of wire on the gas stove and melt a hole into them. Takes no time really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by diabolical

I used to buy picks with a hole in them for better grip (Star picks?) until I discovered that you can use office hole puncher to do the same and stick loop them through my key holder, so as long as I have my keys, I have a pick.

Wow, what picks do you use that you can holepunch? I break holepunches with too much paper, I can't imagine trying to put a punch through a Jazz 3? I mean, it's a great idea if it works, I've wasted too long with razor blades and gorilla snot.
The Delrin/Tortex type up to 1mm, you can make them like these with office paper perforator (the hole punch for office paper):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HNE622/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456012458&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=star+guitar+picks

Or just buy the Everly I linked, they're great.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 20, 2016,
I have two kinds of picks. The ones I want to keep and the ones my friends steal.

I have a Pick Punch (there's a website) and punch hundreds of picks out of old credit cards and the material that the website will sell you. Those I leave lying around. I'll also have a few in my pocket when I go somewhere.

My most-used picks are Gravity picks and too expensive to lose, so they get hidden away. I use 2-3mm thick Gravity picks, so I'm not at all sure they'd fit into that brass gizmo (or that I could get them out) and I'd prefer not to have something like that adding to the junk I already have in my pocket.

It's pretty, though.
its pretty, but i already have too much shit on my keys. also i use jazz iii picks, so i don't think it would fit.

i keep a couple of picks behind my ID in my wallet in case i need one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think it's a cool idea. And I'm sure a number of people would like something like that.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Or just keep a pick in the back pocket of your trousers.

It looks nice, but as with 90% of guitar accessory products out there, it's trying to solve a problem that just doesn't exist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Cathbard
I just heat up a piece of wire on the gas stove and melt a hole into them. Takes no time really.

I've always used an old soldering iron tip to do this.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It looks nice, but as with 90% of guitar accessory products out there, it's trying to solve a problem that just doesn't exist.

You could remove the "guitar accessory" part of that statement, and it would still be true.

Can't knock the guy for trying to cash in on an idea, though. I keep my picks in my wallet. But, someone somewhere might buy what he's selling... and if that means he can buy more sweet gear, then who am I to tell him not to do it?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It's a pretty cool little item. More of a fashion accessory than a guitarist's necessity. But cool.

I don't use picks very often, somewhere less than "rarely". But what I used to do, if I knew I'd be somewhere that I might need one or two, was just toss them into the acoustic. They're easy enough to extract and there ain't no losin' 'em that way.

Oh, and hey raul.arfwedson . . . if the little hoop at the top of the holder was only on one side of the pick opening instead of both, it could still be put on a key ring or necklace and the picks could be accessed without having to take it off of the chain. Would also be nice if it could hold more than one pick.

My two cents.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How much did you plan on selling them and who are you marketing this product to? I mean, it's cool and looks well done but I can't see how this is something that is super useful for somebody outside of "I don't like the aesthetics of a cheapo plastic one". I don't see that being a particularly large market either.

Personally, I just buy plastic pick holders because looks don't really matter to me when I just need something to hold picks. I also just tape them to the side of my amp on the bottom of my guitars. I also have a fishbowl that I throw loose guitar picks in as well.

Hi,

It is not meant to be super useful, it could work out for some people though. I'm selling them at 29€. I totally get your point. Yes, as far for marketing, I also feel the same way. I just happen to love the way it works and look, and maybe some people will like it too. That's it.
Thanks for your feedback!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It is far from practical, but it nonetheless a cool thing.

That is correct!
Quote by Cathbard
I keep two picks on my keyring. I just melt a hole in the picks and stick them directly onto the ring.
This does look a lot cooler though. If it was cheap enough, I'd buy one.

Thank you. It costs 29€. You might consider it expensive but if you think about the manufacture process, material quality, it's weigh, you might has well come to the conclusion that it is a very reasonable price. That is for you to decide, of course.
Quote by Tony Done
I like the idea, but it looks heavy and you would need to take it off the keyring to get the pick out. I would go with a little leather keyring pouch if I used picks.

Hey. It looks, and it is kind of heavy, more or less 18 grams. Which in my perspective is good thing, it means that it will last, it can fall to floor and it won't break and it is that kind of heavy feels good in the hand but won't make much difference in your pocket.
The idea is more about having a pick with you all the time, that you'll not loose or forget. If you happen to forget to put your picks in your pocket you know you'll have that extra one right there.
Quote by diabolical

Thanks! I do offer custom engraving.
That is also a good practical solution.
I prefer my picks with no holes.
Quote by dspellman
I have two kinds of picks. The ones I want to keep and the ones my friends steal.

I have a Pick Punch (there's a website) and punch hundreds of picks out of old credit cards and the material that the website will sell you. Those I leave lying around. I'll also have a few in my pocket when I go somewhere.

My most-used picks are Gravity picks and too expensive to lose, so they get hidden away. I use 2-3mm thick Gravity picks, so I'm not at all sure they'd fit into that brass gizmo (or that I could get them out) and I'd prefer not to have something like that adding to the junk I already have in my pocket.

It's pretty, though.

Hi,
Nice. They wouldn't fit. I made these for standard 1mm picks.
Thanks for the feedback.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its pretty, but i already have too much shit on my keys. also i use jazz iii picks, so i don't think it would fit.

Yup, they wouldn't.
I did that at times, but they would fall or I would forget to put them back.
Thanks!
Quote by ThunderPunk
I think it's a cool idea. And I'm sure a number of people would like something like that.

Nice!
Thanks!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Thanks for your input! I get your point, we don't really need this, but allow me to disagree. Have you ever been in a situation where you couldn't find your pick/picks? Or you forgot them someplace?
I believe that to be some kind of problem. The idea behind this, is more about having a pick with you all the time that doesn't get lost than to be a case to carry your pick.
Quote by Standard_A440
It's a pretty cool little item. More of a fashion accessory than a guitarist's necessity. But cool.

I don't use picks very often, somewhere less than "rarely". But what I used to do, if I knew I'd be somewhere that I might need one or two, was just toss them into the acoustic. They're easy enough to extract and there ain't no losin' 'em that way.

Oh, and hey raul.arfwedson . . . if the little hoop at the top of the holder was only on one side of the pick opening instead of both, it could still be put on a key ring or necklace and the picks could be accessed without having to take it off of the chain. Would also be nice if it could hold more than one pick.

My two cents.

Hey,
I get your point. The problem is, if it were to be one sided the picks would slide and fall.
This way the pick will go no way. More people have talked about it holding more than one pick. My thought about it is that it would become to bulky.
Thanks for the input!
Quote by raul.arfwedson
Thanks for your input! I get your point, we don't really need this, but allow me to disagree. Have you ever been in a situation where you couldn't find your pick/picks? Or you forgot them someplace?
I believe that to be some kind of problem. The idea behind this, is more about having a pick with you all the time that doesn't get lost than to be a case to carry your pick.

I always leave them in my back pocket and be sure to put them back in my pocket when I've finished using them. So not really, no.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by raul.arfwedson at #33851138
Have you ever been in a situation where you couldn't find your pick/picks? Or you forgot them someplace? I believe that to be some kind of problem. The idea behind this, is more about having a pick with you all the time that doesn't get lost than to be a case to carry your pick.

And what if I forgot the chain that held the picks? Then I forgot all the picks I had in the container no? I mean you can't really prepare to accidentally forget something.

Also, it might be a bit more beneficial next time to just add replies to a single post instead of a bunch of double posting.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I do that as well. I hate seeing a new guitar in a shop and not being able to "test" it properly because I don't have a damn pick!

I think the keyfob connector for the device in question should be on the other end, to ease getting the pick in and out. A simple flat spring inside could hold the pick securely enough, as there's next to no weight.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 24, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I always leave them in my back pocket and be sure to put them back in my pocket when I've finished using them. So not really, no.

Great for you then.
I 'm the guy that leaves picks everywhere.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
And what if I forgot the chain that held the picks? Then I forgot all the picks I had in the container no? I mean you can't really prepare to accidentally forget something.

Also, it might be a bit more beneficial next time to just add replies to a single post instead of a bunch of double posting.

You're absolutely right, didn't know how to do that.
The idea is to attach it to your key ring. I guess you can forget your keys someplace, but usually you don't.
Thanks for the posting advice.

Quote by Arby911
I do that as well. I hate seeing a new guitar in a shop and not being able to "test" it properly because I don't have a damn pick!

I think the keyfob connector for the device in question should be on the other end, to ease getting the pick in and out. A simple flat spring inside could hold the pick securely enough, as there's next to no weight.

That is an interesting solution. I wanted to make it a one piece object, with no parts that could break over time. The fact that it is not so easy to get it out, might also be seen as an advantage - You use it when you forgot all of your other picks. If it would be easier you would be more tempted to use it and probably forget to put it back on. Doesn't have to be seen this way, but that's how I see it.
Thanks!
Quote by raul.arfwedson
Great for you then.

Thank you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by raul.arfwedson

That is an interesting solution. I wanted to make it a one piece object, with no parts that could break over time. The fact that it is not so easy to get it out, might also be seen as an advantage - You use it when you forgot all of your other picks. If it would be easier you would be more tempted to use it and probably forget to put it back on. Doesn't have to be seen this way, but that's how I see it.
Thanks!

I don't think that inconvenience is ever a selling point. I buy things because they make my life easier and more convenient. If they don't I don't buy them.
Charles Darwin