I am just starting to solo and taking all the suggestions in other threads, but I am wondering which players to study. I guess what I am saying is who are the guys that a newbie could make reasonable progress with? I am challenging myself but there are a lot of players I am years away from. I listen to and take from many places, but old school rock up to modern metal are my true loves.

I can riff fairly well and am a bassist so my timing and rhythm is there. I just can't play lead yet. Thank you guys! Open can of worms!
Last edited by baddarryl at Feb 19, 2016,
It'll probably be easier for people to make recommendations if you list what you can already play to get a grasp of where you are. Or even better, maybe just list bands you'd like to play and we can recommend around them, some of them might not even be that many years away as you would think.
If you've just gotten into soloing:

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
AC/DC - Can I Sit Next To You Girl
Kiss - Firehouse (Really good one to learn some cool phrasing)
Jimi Hendrix - Foxy Lady
Twisted Sister - We're not gonna take it

Those are a couple of good ones to start with. There are plenty of others. You just have to find solo's in the music you listen to that don't sound that fast. If they don't sound really fast, you can master them easily most of the time.
Pretty much anything from 70s Kiss. It's basic rock soloing and shouldn't be too difficult to figure out by ear and play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Arron_Zacx
It'll probably be easier for people to make recommendations if you list what you can already play to get a grasp of where you are. Or even better, maybe just list bands you'd like to play and we can recommend around them, some of them might not even be that many years away as you would think.

This is good, thanks! On that note though I am a metal head when I play I seem to hark back to all the old 70's and 80's hard rock stuff. I am currently working on Black Magic Woman by Santana. Once complete it will be the only one I actually know.

Most of the bands you guys have mentioned all ready are right up my alley. As far as songs I already know that I can't solo to yet are stuff like Ozzy with Randy, Dio, Priest, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Van Halen, Ratt etc. Nothing modern. All that stuff I learned before picking up bass. Open to anything though. Thanks again everyone.