Hi all. I have a paid for version that I haven't used in a long time. I can upgrade for $29.00 I think. Is it still a useful program or should I look elsewhere. Not look to spend anymore money and I liked the previous version.
I still use it, but depending on what version you have, it may not be necessary to upgrade. Many people prefer V5 over V6 for it's simplicity, although you can do a great many more things with V6.

If all you want to do is open tabs and use it to play them as you learn, V5 is perfectly satisfactory.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 19, 2016,
yeah helps out.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I prefer gp5. I tried 6 for a while and it was cool, but I found all the amp and pedal sims and such to be more annoying than useful and tabbing drums in gp5 is much easier to me - mostly because I already knew how to do it that way - so I went back to 5. The only problem now is that I can't open .gpx files.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I prefer gp5. I tried 6 for a while and it was cool, but I found all the amp and pedal sims and such to be more annoying than useful and tabbing drums in gp5 is much easier to me - mostly because I already knew how to do it that way - so I went back to 5. The only problem now is that I can't open .gpx files.

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-.GPX-to-GP5-%28with-Tuxguitar-1.2%29

Or save them as gp5 in v6 using the "Export" function.
Charles Darwin
Quote by negativefx
TuxGuitar works great and it's free.

Yeah, I agree that it functions well, but it's sterile as shit on playback.

GP, while still less-than-ideal, is at least usable as a decent play-along backing track.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, I agree that it functions well, but it's sterile as shit on playback.

GP, while still less-than-ideal, is at least usable as a decent play-along backing track.

GP5 is far from perfect in that regard, but it can actually be a useful tool in mapping out not only the riffs and beats and such in your songs, but also the general layout for the production. You can pan and mix the tracks, and if you put some time into it you can effectively plan out recording sessions for songs with it. It's also useful as a quick drum machine.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Op Here:
The reason I am thinking of upgrading is I got a new computer and though I have the license I couldn't down load to the new computer without the key. That key is long gone. Maybe I'll try to email for a new key before paying for the upgrade. Like others all I use it for is to learn tracks with the looping and slow down features. For that V5 is pretty good for me.
If you are just using it for tabs, look at Tux Guitar. It is free, and is pretty good for using the tab part of Guitar Pro. It's fully capable of opening Guitar Pro tabs.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by baddarryl
Op Here:
The reason I am thinking of upgrading is I got a new computer and though I have the license I couldn't down load to the new computer without the key. That key is long gone. Maybe I'll try to email for a new key before paying for the upgrade. Like others all I use it for is to learn tracks with the looping and slow down features. For that V5 is pretty good for me.

Go to the website or give them a call. Retrieving a license key is easy.
Charles Darwin