I have direct mounted pickups on my Washburn Parallaxe a Duncan JB/59 set, my issue is the pickups are too far away from the strings. The guitar sounds good but when I A/B it with my other guitars with JB/JM and JB/59 sets the volume is lower especially on the unwound strings and the tone sounds weaker as well, it may just be me nit picking but I think my RR3 and Dean Spilt Tail sound much better with similar pickup sets and it bugs me

I definitely think they need to be raised a bit and I have no desire to take a drill to her quilted maple top to add mounting rings. I was considering adding some washers under the mounting tabs to act as spacers and raise my pickup height. I know from P90 and Jazzmaster style pickups that a chunk of foam is used but I don't necessarily care if the pups are adjustable, once I get them where I want them they will stay. I also thought of using some semi hard rubber grommets instead of metal washers.

Any suggestions or tips on the best route to accomplish my goal? Is there another method I haven't thought of?

Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated, I' m in no hurry and would like to know what all of the options are before I make the adjustments!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 19, 2016,
Can you get us a photo of how far away from the strings your pickups are right now? Is your Tremolo set to flat with the body? I assume it's a floating one...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i am curious too.

i have driect mount pickups on a pair of ibanez prestiges that are lower than i would like them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Both of my custom guitars are direct mounts. Both have small light springs under the pickups between the wood and pickups and it allows me to adjust the height as much or as little as I want. I would suggest simply buying some small springs and putting them under the pickups.
What I always did with J bass or Jazzmaster pickups was to cut Styrofoam and put it underneath the pickups at a height that was just barely too high, then used the screws to pull it down and compact the foam. Keeps the pickups rather solid.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I can never get pics posted from my tablet and my computer is being repaired at the moment, but yes it is a Floyd 1000 and it's nice and level although the action could stand to be lower. I still don't think the pickups will be quite close enough even after I get a better set up on it.

I did find some rubber like foam lying around that I have used under my CD changer to keep the bass from making it skip. It is fairly firm and about 1/4 inch thick and springs back pretty good I think if I cut some pieces to size I should be able to make the pickups adjustable. Any way I have a lot going on right now so it may be a week or two before I get around to doing it but I'll report back once I have some results.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 21, 2016,
Could you use springs under the screws, and possibly some foam under the pickups to raise them and keep them stable?
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I did this last weekend to my 8 string with a deathbar. whoever had put it in did a pretty shabby job, and the pickup was a mile away from the string. As as been mentioned here a few times, any foam like substance that has a decent level of resistance is usually the best. I used some multifibre stuff i found in our garage, but i've heard about people using beer stubbies ect.
Quote by Mincer
Could you use springs under the screws, and possibly some foam under the pickups to raise them and keep them stable?

I thought about that too, I am definitely going to use the foam rubber I have but I was considering using some springs under the mounting tabs as well, JosephFeagin8 suggested the springs and it sounds like a good idea although it seems that adding the foam under the pickup as well will give it more stability.

Like I mentioned above I have a lot going on right now so it will be a week or two until I can make time to do this, but when I am finished I will post the results.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Yeah, the screws and foam should work just fine. Let us know how this turns out.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan