Hi there I've been playing guitar for around 4 years but in the past couple of years I've lost motivation to play and progress as a player so I don't feel as excited when I pick up the guitar. I've tried getting a new guitar as a bit of motivation but that soon fades

Can anybody recommend some ways for me to get back into playing and feel excited about playing again?

Thanks
Yes ... study harmony, and study rhythm. There are literally limitless ideas available. Choose a technique weakness (if you have one or more) and make that your strongest technique. Then move to the next. Challenge ypurself. If your ear is poor, work on that (in fact, do that anyway).

Try other genres maybe.
Check out some new genres! Gospel, jazz, fusion, prog, shred whatever, something you haven't played before..
Check out some new guitarists too, get some new influences..
Here's a list of some artists to go check out now:
Chon
Julian Lage
Eric Gales
Rick Graham
Mateus Asato
Alex Hutchings
Mika Tyyskä (Mr FastFinger)

I'm not sure of your technical ability, but maybe check out some new technical exercises or work on some harder licks..

Check out some theory stuff if you haven't already.. If you have a good basic knowledge of theory challenge yourself and move onto some harder things, modes of the major scale, modes of the harmonic minor and melodic minor scales... Study harmony..

There's soooo much out their for us guitarists, there's no excuse to stop studying and progressing! There's always something else you can work on..

Even start writing some of your own stuff! That could be what you need to do to highlight more areas where you need to develop with your playing, as well as develop some new skills with regards to composition.

Good luck!
I assume you're playing electric guitar and maybe rock or county ?

If it's a solid body electric, try a semi hollow arch top, and try playing some jazz tunes.
After messing with rock and country stuff for awhile, I got tired of the same old routine and tried jazz, and got more interested in chord voicing relationship.
Some of those old jazz standards have some very interesting chord patterns, which can be very challenging, at least for me it was.

If your main instrument is an electric guitar
try an acoustic for awhile, either steel string or nylon string.
I have both steel string and nylon sting acoustics plus solid body electrics and an arch top hollow body with a P90, just having a little bit of a change from time to time, helps to keeps things fresh and interesting.
Quote by alexriffs
Hi there I've been playing guitar for around 4 years but in the past couple of years I've lost motivation to play and progress as a player so I don't feel as excited when I pick up the guitar. I've tried getting a new guitar as a bit of motivation but that soon fades

Can anybody recommend some ways for me to get back into playing and feel excited about playing again?

Thanks
1. Find some songs you want to learn;
2. Visit some open mics;
3. Join a band.

All 3 would be ideal! - but any one of them ought to work.

Forget about "progressing" as a player. At least, don't make that part of your motivation. Enjoyment of playing should be motivation enough, without caring whether you're "progressing" or not.
As long as you're playing, you're improving. You can't help it. It might not feel like it, but you're better than you were.
Last edited by jongtr at Feb 20, 2016,
I agree with joining a band or at least getting a partner to think about starting a band. You will motivate each other and learn a lot from each other.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Take a week off and see and listen to as much music as you can or want to. Go outside and see your friends, maybe read a book or two, or watch a movie you've been meaning to check out.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by alexriffs

Thanks

What are you presently learning that's new?

Best,

Sean
Some suggestions:

Identify clearly your goals. Where do you want your guitar playing to take you? Something must be motivating you or else you wouldn't have posted this post. What do you want to achieve? Think big! Then, fantasize that you have achieved your goals. The crowds cheering, or whatever stimulates your emotions.

After some fantasizing go back to practice, keeping in mind practice is the one thing that will lead you to achieve your goals.

Also, try to learn something new every time you practice. Even if it's a small thing. It's how you improve and remain motivated.

Hope this helps.