I have a solo recording project in mind that will involve a laptop, interface and DAW. So far I have been recording on my phone using garageband which has been great for getting ideas down but I want to move into some more serious recording in the near future. My biggest obstacle to getting down some of the ideas in my head, aside from learning how to use a DAW/engineer/edit/mix etc. , will be what I do about the drums.

It seems that drum software gets recommended around here a lot but I am interested to know what other alternatives you gals and guys have tried when recording. I had an idea of putting a contact microphone on objects like a table and recording patterns on this - no idea if this would work but I like the idea of this perhaps being more organic-sounding than a software drummer. Though possibly horrendous too. Anyone tried this?

Otherwise, I'm all set in terms of guitars, bass, amp and an sm58 and would like to know what I can create for percussion myself (drumkit is out of the question unfortunately ).

I don't know if it would be helpful to mention, but I'm really digging the recordings and aesthetics (wrong word, probably) of Phil Elverum (https://pwelverumandsun.bandcamp.com/album/the-glow-pt-2) though I don't think the music i'll be making will sound exactly along those lines and I certainly won't be recording to tape...

It would be great if you could share some of your ideas with me, it would be greatly appreciated questions also welcome if you want to know more.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Feb 20, 2016,
Get midi controller.
Find samples of drum sounds you like.
Use basic drum vst to play drums.

The contact/piezo idea is okay but it's gonna be a bit more complicated than you think to do that.
You'd need some kind of device (ex. e-drum brain) to transform the raw info to midi.
I did that same thing with a practice drum pad and a piezo to upload para-diddle variations into Superior but I just program them now.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
If you don't want to go the drum software route, get a midi controller or e-drum kit. I use a hybrid approach, where I program my drums or use preprogrammed midi packs, then tweak them further and play the fills on my e-kit for more realistic feel.
I thought I might get good on drums but it is unlikely
They have Korg tambourine pads that are midi compatible, it is like one drum that you play with your fingers that has certain areas that generate different sounds, or myabe try one of these, they're cheap used:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Yamaha-DD65-Portable-Drum-Set-Package/15048526?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=15048526&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=27e97e0d-900f-4020-ab27-5ec6a6068eb6&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=17655991&parent_anchor_item_id=17655991&guid=279b2bb6-9bd5-449c-aa80-1936771585db&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

For the contact piezo idea to work you'd need a drum brain, there are a lot of Alesis older drum brains like the DM5 that are great for triggering but have outdated sounds. Or you can buy one of the newer brains too, the triggers themselves are not very complex.

Personally I'd rather get a used e-kit from Simmons or Alesis, somewhere around $300-$400.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 21, 2016,
@Kyleisthename Hey thanks for that, man

Have you ever messed around with the raw 'data' from the piezo without introducing software to transform the info into a more traditional drum sound? Like the way I imagine it is putting a mic on a big wooden table and thumping it to emulate a bass drum sound.

^ cheers buddy, i'll look into an e-kit! do you find you can get a traditional sound from these or something more suited to electronic music? Or do you use it as a controller for software that has its own sounds?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Feb 21, 2016,
So you're talking about making your own samples?

That's actually not very hard if you know the eq characteristics of the instruments/drums you're trying to emulate.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab