Guys. Recently, I started a search for some 15w to 30w cheap digital amp for some practice in apartment and primitive recording. After I'd spent some time on the internet, I came with one theory.
For example: You have Peavy Vypyr VIP 1 for 200 EUR (225 USD) . Loaded with extreme amount effects. Recording throught USB and PC software. Sounds great. But there's one thing that haunts me.
How the hell I'm gonna pratically use those effects,without Sanpera pedal (or any other- depends on modelling amp manufacturer), and without constant tapping and turning the knobs. They call it a cheap amp. But then you forced to buy pedal which costs half of the combo...
It's just ridiculous how the companies trying to kick out the biggest income from the people.
If I'm wrong please tell me.
Quote by jozef2451
But then you forced to buy pedal

No you're not.

You don't strictly need to use the pedal to use the effects. For practicing, that's fine.

I don't think its unreasonable to demand more money if you want a foot controller as an optional extra. All companies are there to make money in the end.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 20, 2016,
The footswitch isn't necessary for anything to function and is completely optional. You don't need to buy it to use the amp and they don't force you to do anything. Even more so, you don't need the footswitch to save patches. You can save settings you like within the amp.

Does it make switching effects and stuff easier, sure? But you aren't entitled to something for free just cause it's slightly inconvenient for you to turn a knob. Really, how often are you changing patches to the point where you need to make drastic adjustments after each song? Especially if it's just for practice.

Pretty sure the Vypyr responds to any midi controller anyway so you could probably find a cheap one that would work. Either way, nobody is forcing you to buy anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I meant it like you can use that amp. But only on 50 percent. Those numbers sound great. 20 of this. 10 of this. Phlanger here, wah here or violin- ish sound. But when it comes down for practical use, it's totally useless... With the pedal, it's another story.
The footswitch adds a nice benefit in that you can change your patches easier but by no means does it restrict what you can do with the amp nor do they force you to buy it.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE at #33844526
I don't think its unreasonable to demand more money if you want a foot controller as an optional extra. All companies are there to make money in the end.

Exactly.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by jozef2451
I meant it like you can use that amp. But only on 50 percent. Those numbers sound great. 20 of this. 10 of this. Phlanger here, wah here or violin- ish sound. But when it comes down for practical use, it's totally useless... With the pedal, it's another story.

It ought to be another story, or else the pedal would be a pointless thing to buy.

This is like complaining that you want a guitar that sounds like a les paul and you only have a strat, and then complaining to Fender on why that isn't something you get for free.

Welcome to capitalism, my Slovakian friend.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 20, 2016,
In low end modelling amps the "effects" are basically thrown in for free. They give you the basics and these amps aren't intended for professional use anyway. Home and hobby use for the most part. They are fun, flexible and give you a chance for a low cost to try some different amp sounds and effects without investing tons of money. I mean complaining about an amp that costs say $200 that has some limitations???? Let's be realistic.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
In low end modelling amps the "effects" are basically thrown in for free. They give you the basics and these amps aren't intended for professional use anyway. Home and hobby use for the most part. They are fun, flexible and give you a chance for a low cost to try some different amp sounds and effects without investing tons of money. I mean complaining about an amp that costs say $200 that has some limitations???? Let's be realistic.

Did you get the Axe-FX?
Quote by Ippon
Did you get the Axe-FX?

Naw I went mid-range as well as low end.
For the low end I currently own an IDCore10 ($110) that is a cute little thing for the bedroom, a VOT VT30 ($240 now discontinued) that has some decent sounds in it but is really just a loud home or garage/jamming amp.
For the mid range I have a Blackstar ID60 TVP ($529 plus I bought the foot controller [$85] to be able to access all the features) thats giggable IMO and a POD HD500 that I use with M-Audio powered 60W Studio Monitors that would certainly be gig worthy with a good sized FRFR (heck Steve Howe uses them live for his entire amp effects chain after all).

Right now the Canadian $$ is really low, if it wasn't I'd only be looking at a Helix or AX8 (both under $1500 USD) anyway. The extra $1000 for Axe FX II would pay for a really decent FRFR setup instead.
Moving on.....
And in the US, the amp is 130 and the cheap pedal 120. For most users the amp by itself will do just fine and is not "totally useless", for those users who need a pedal, well, they'll have to get one. Even some expensive amp don't include a pedal.

The thing is, once you get the Vypyr, sure at first you're going to try every sound, but eventually you'll settle on a few and don't end up turning knobs, or pressing pedal buttons all day.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Feb 20, 2016,
Exactly. The Vypyr line is wonderful for getting a feel for certain settings. Having said that, I'm generally using the 6505 or JSX amps and maybe distortion. I like what it offers in that respect. I'm not sure how much benefit I may get from the footswitch. In this case less is more.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
The problem is that including the pedal would increase the base price of the amp and they are trying to keep it as low as possible. I think it gives more choice for the beginning guitar player - at a lower price point.

Also, it is not just Peavey, my old Vox amp was the same. I never bothered to buy the pedal.
Same basic thing with the Line 6 Pods. The "bean" version is the least expensive of the three available models (bean, Live (or pedal version), rack). The bean is offered as a "desktop" with the option to use a pedal. For practice and recording use, there's often not much need for foot switchery. My first use for a used Pod XT was quiet practice with a headphone. Later when I wanted to use it live, I picked up a new FBV Express pedal. It doesn't do everything, but it was only $99 new, and had what I needed. Later, I found a used FBV Shortboard ($199 new, $99 used) that was capable of running pretty much anything the Pod could do from up near the mike position, with only an ethernet cable running up front. For me that was a lot more preferable to having AC bricks and the like up in the danger zone (bouncing bass players, inebriated dancers, etc.) because it left the electronics in the backline.

There are simply a lot of people who don't need a foot switch. And if you don't need it, why pay for it?
Quote by dspellman
Same basic thing with the Line 6 Pods. The "bean" version is the least expensive of the three available models (bean, Live (or pedal version), rack). The bean is offered as a "desktop" with the option to use a pedal. For practice and recording use, there's often not much need for foot switchery. My first use for a used Pod XT was quiet practice with a headphone. Later when I wanted to use it live, I picked up a new FBV Express pedal. It doesn't do everything, but it was only $99 new, and had what I needed. Later, I found a used FBV Shortboard ($199 new, $99 used) that was capable of running pretty much anything the Pod could do from up near the mike position, with only an ethernet cable running up front. For me that was a lot more preferable to having AC bricks and the like up in the danger zone (bouncing bass players, inebriated dancers, etc.) because it left the electronics in the backline.

There are simply a lot of people who don't need a foot switch. And if you don't need it, why pay for it?

i use my bean for recording and it works fine for that purpose. can i change settings while playing, no but not a big deal with a little planning. vypyr amps fine for sitting around to practice. ok again you can't change settings quickly but most of the time that shouldn't be that big a deal. as has been pointed out for $200 what do you expect. if such a big deal get a regualr amp and some pedals that you can kick on or off or a multi-fx unit that has switching options.