Hello all,

I just bought a used Hot Rod Deluxe amp, and while the clean channel is pretty spot on Fendery clean, lots of people say that the drive sounds suck and are too harsh to use. I have a 2000's Boss DS-1, but it doesn't really cut it. Do you guys have any recommendations for a better OD or distortion pedal that works with the Hot Rod Deluxe pretty well? I'm looking to spend less than $100 USD on the used market. My favorite artists are Robben Ford, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Van Halen. From this, I'm kinda thinking that I would be best off with a Marshall in a box pedal, like the MI Audio Crunch Box, but do you guys have any other suggestions? It's important that the pedal works well with a Hot Rod Deluxe and isn't just a drive pedal that complements a Marshall because it is a lot harder to achieve the Marshall eq curve from a Fender amp (as far as I know).

Also, people recommend that when you use a drive pedal, especially with an overdrive, your base tone of your amp should already be breaking up a bit so that the pedal boosts the amp into overdriving. However, I find the Hot Rod Deluxe clean channel has too much headroom to get into the edge of breakup sounds without being earsplitting, and the general opinion of people with experience of more amps than me is that the drive channel is not usable. When using a drive pedal on my HRDx, do you think I should crank the pedal's drive knob more and use it on the clean channel, or should I use a bit less gain on the pedal with more on the level in order to boost the amp's drive channel and just deal with the amp's drive tone?

Thanks!
The crunchbox is awesome, I'd also check out a fulltone GT500, similar kind of sound, but way more options.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I rarely get my HRD over 3-4.

And yes, the drive channel sucks. Using a drive pedal on the clean channel will get you better sounding results.

Given your artist list, I'll suggest the Visual Sound Double Trouble (dual OD) or Jekyll & Hyde (OD/Dist)- V2 versions of either one- both of which should be available used for @$80-110.

New, I'd look at the Keeley Katana Blues Drive, which is over $150, but is a great pedal for that kind of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WN_o5OAYXI&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 20, 2016,
If you're looking for just a overdrive then I'd recommend the Wylde Overdrive or the OCD. When I had my HRD I used a Wylde Overdrive and a Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde for my heavier dirstortions
EH Soul Food or Earthquaker White Light will get you there if it's OD you want

As for Marshall in a box.. Diamond 'cornerstone' is bang on.
Hopefully though, you'll have some situations where it justifies cranking the clean channel up past half volume.. that's when she shines
i do like my GT500 quite a bit for an OD/dist combo. i have the old version (my preference), the serial number is like 510, so its pretty early. its pretty solid overall. i also have a VS double trouble as well and it is stupid convenient, well at least to having two tubescreamers. one thing i like about VS pedals is that they tend to have good buffers.

i have had an OCD for seven or eight years and i am NOT a huge fan of it. i don't know why i don't like it, but it doesn't seem to fit me right. it is in my closet in hope that it will work for me someday.

i have played a jekyl and hyde, but i like the GT500 more.

i would also recommend a fulldrive, extremely versatile, and you can find the FD-2 for under 80USD all day. its basically an OD and a boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Husker_Dude
EH Soul Food or Earthquaker White Light will get you there if it's OD you want

The HRD and a Soul Food is probably the best combination I've found for overdrive with this amp. I put the Soul Food after a Dunlop Wah. I also have a cheap Joyo OD pedal in front of the Wah for a bit different sound.

To be honest, though I love my HRD, when I want an OD sound, I usually plug into my Peavey VK112's drive channel. I've never gotten the pedal / HRD combination to equal the VK112 tonewise (at least to my ears).
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i do like my GT500 quite a bit for an OD/dist combo. i have the old version (my preference), the serial number is like 510, so its pretty early. its pretty solid overall. i also have a VS double trouble as well and it is stupid convenient, well at least to having two tubescreamers. one thing i like about VS pedals is that they tend to have good buffers.

i have had an OCD for seven or eight years and i am NOT a huge fan of it. i don't know why i don't like it, but it doesn't seem to fit me right. it is in my closet in hope that it will work for me someday.

i have played a jekyl and hyde, but i like the GT500 more.

i would also recommend a fulldrive, extremely versatile, and you can find the FD-2 for under 80USD all day. its basically an OD and a boost.

I've always felt the same way about the OCD, just never appealed to me.
I gigged my HRD for 5 years, and my TS808 never left the board. There's just something about a Fender that lends itself to and old-style tubescreamer.
Quote by JustRooster
I gigged my HRD for 5 years, and my TS808 never left the board. There's just something about a Fender that lends itself to and old-style tubescreamer.

It's the mid bump, in my opinion. Fender's are scooped so a mid boost is very valuable.