Hi

I'm looking for an affordable gigging amp to play a show. I've gigged before but not a gig of this size. I'm playing a smallish festival in an auditorium for about 1200 people. I need something that will cut through a band with a very loud drummer, a bass player, and another guitarist without the benefit of a mic.

I want something with really good cleans and good high end and that is around $1000, give or take around $200. I have no preference to brand but, I am more familiar with fender amps. I've looked all around the internet and though I've seen some good stuff I would like some first hand opinions. I play a Jackson JS-22, '82 Fender American Standard Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul studio, and a Squier Strat. I use a lot of pedals: delay, reverb, distortion, cry baby wah, overdrive, flanger, compression, fuzz, and chorus. Pretty standard stuff over all. I'm on leads so I need something that won't get too fucked up by all my pedals and enough control to fix it if it does. I don't need anything special, I would like a tube amp but it's not that important.

I play a very wide selection of music so versatility is a must. PEARL JAM, Metallica, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, The Ramones, The White Stripes, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, 50's Doo Wop shit, Motown shit, 40's and 50's Frank Sinatra type stuff, Slayer, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Lady Gaga, Avenged Sevenfold, Alice In Chains, Led Zeppelin, and Guns N' fuckin' Roses, Eminem, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, Sublime, and Rage Against The Machine are what get me off so if you know of something that can handle that much shit then let me know.

If you read all that then you are a generous person. Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated.
Blackstar, Carvin, Peavey ... all seem to make relatively high gain affordable amps. I play Carvin V3Ms myself. They're 50 watts and cut through very well. Street price is about $500 for the head and you can get a decent cab for less than that, so the whole package would run you less than $800.
See this other post unless you're adverse to diving into the technology.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Mesa. Great Fender clean tone and world class OD that can always run with a drummer. If you are playing a festival to 1200 people I do hope the drums and guitar amps will be mic'd for balance and coverage.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 21, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Mesa. Great Fender clean tone and world class OD that can always run with a drummer. If you are playing a festival to 1200 people I do hope the drums and guitar amps will be mic'd for balance and coverage.

+1 for MESA they are extremely versatile amps I love my 2X12 Roadster combo it goes from crystal Fender cleans to brutal modern high gain and everything in between, although not entirely affordable for every budget. If you can afford one it is definitely a worthwhile investment.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 23, 2016,
If you are playing a show that large, your amp should be mic'd. so really, its not size that you need, its tone. If you have a grand to play with, I would suggest a Jet City 333. They are amazing little tube amps at a great price. I have a single channel, 20w head that I play mid range shows with all the time and it only ran me 200 bucks used. pair that up with a decent cab and you are good to go for around 600 bucks. As always, just my opinion and I could always be wrong.
depends on music style and how loud everything else is. if your being miced up into the PA anything would work. but talkin inde/rock maybe 50 to 75 watts minimum, 212s are pretty good, a bit to haul around but good enough. Iv played shows just with a crate 2x12 but if you every need metal with just sheer loud drums and guitars yea your gonna need a kick of a 4x12 and a 50 to 100 watt head of some sort. you arent gona turn up as loud as you think you need to because its a large space but something with larger or more speakers is the way to go to spread the sound rather than volume. hope I helped Cheers!