Hey guys, so I'm starting Uni in a week or so and I'm having trouble getting a Jazz tone out of my AC30C2. I don't really think any pedals will do much, but if there is something out there that would help that I'm unaware of then I'm willing to invest in it/them.

In the mean-time, I'm running straight into the AC30 with an Eastman T386 (really beauitufl guitar btw, definetely recommend)! I'm not sure if I should be going into the low or high input, they both have a very different sound. Do you guys have an recommendations on how I should try and voice this on an AC30? Boost the Bass and Trebs and use the tone cut? Drop the trebs (resulting in higher high-mids) and boost the bass and use tone-cut?

I don't quite understand the warm, round jazz tone, is it low mids, high bass, mid treble?

Very confused, any help on how I could achieve this would be gladly appreicated!

PS: nope, I'm not selling the AC30.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Feb 20, 2016,
The consensus here:
http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/32194-vox-ac30-suitable-amp-thick-jazz-tones.html

...seems to be that the Vox AC30 isn't the best voiced amp for jazz. I believe a few posters mentioned not having enough low end. Don't know that you can fix that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you're using the top boost channel you're not off to a great start. The interactive EQ is all wrong for traditional jazz tones anyway, so it wouldn't do you much good even if that were the channel to use.

I'd use the normal channel, an EQ pedal out front to boost the bass and treble, tone cut knob on the amp to darken it. I usually have a compressor going too, just a little bit to round things out.

You can press an AC30 into doing jazz in a pinch but I don't think using the top boost channel with more high mids is the key. Pretty much the exact opposite.
I can't believe I'm saying this but..this might be a job for a solid state amp
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 20, 2016,
You may be in for a real battle to get that Vox to behave appropriately for a real full-bodied jazz sound. You might want to consider the Roland Cube 60 if possible. I see more jazz guys using that than any other amp. Super easy to dial in and get a very rich articulated sound.
IMO it shouldn't be too difficult to get a workable jazz tone out of the normal channel on an AC30 with just the guitar direct into the amp. The top boost channel is just not the right channel to use. use the normal channel with the master volume up high, and lower the guitar volume a couple of notches, and the tone too if you feel it's too bright.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.