S I recently got the spring sweetwater catalog in the mail and the PRS ad talks about them bringing back the ce24. The thing is I don't get all the hype about it being a bolt on; they advertise it as offering a new array of tones but would that not be the choice of wood they use rather than the construction?
There's also those who say bolt-ons offer greater sustain but I digress, the only benefit I see is ease of production, yet the guitar is listed for $2k
A little pricey for a bolt on if you ask me, but that's why I'm making this thread.
Any idea why they're praising this construction and not putting bolt-on's on the SE models instead?
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Quote by WildMiles96
The thing is I don't get all the hype about it being a bolt on; they advertise it as offering a new array of tones but would that not be the choice of wood they use rather than the construction?

Yes, which is why they do that. You're reading the ad wrong.
"Get the snappy attack, woody tones, and authentic American twang you expect from maple, all at an appealing new PRS price point that makes this instrument incredibly accessible."

They're saying that the maple makes it sound different, and that the bolt-on neck makes it cheaper than the comparable Custom 22/24.
I am not a believer in the tonal differences of wood in electric solid body guitars. The bolt on may have minor changes in tone, if so, why not. I Think it would be good to offer the bolt on design if there were different neck profile/radius types, as it would allow for greater choices for the consumer.

I don't fault PRS for the bolt on at that price as there are more important aspects such as build quality, hardware, electronics, etc. Also, many very high quality guitars (and more expensive guitars) have bolt ons. However, I am surprised that they didn't provide color matching headstocks for $2000. At first glance and from a distance, looks like the SE line.
From what I have read, Alex Lifeson of Rush used a CE for many years. I recall him commenting that it was one of his favorite guitars. That said, $2000 is a lot of cash for sure.

I recently also got the Sweetwater Pro Gear Catalog. There are many guitars in there that are over $2000. In fact, I was remarking to my son this morning that the brand name guitars are getting very expensive. Even the price of the Schecters is nothing to sneeze at.

So I suppose we can complain about the price of the CE bolt on. But when I look at the competition, the price is not that far out of the ball park.

I think Fender American Standard products are very well priced. The quality is also pretty consistent. I own two American made Fenders, and both are excellent instruments. Moreover, Fender offers many different configurations of bolt-ons to choose from, across both the Strat and Tele design. I would certainly review those if you were thinking about a bolt-on but were not willing to shell out $2000.
the CE 22/24 was originally discontinued because they cost so much to produce but were sold cheap (when compared to the other PRS offerings of the time).

They were made to the exact spec's of the custom 22/24 except for the bolt-thru maple neck (which is different than a bolt on) and PRS was not making much profit on them.

I have had a CE22 for 12+ years and it is hands down the best guitar I have ever owned or played. My CE22 had a list price of $2600 I didn't pay that, but that was the MSRP for a 2002 CE22 maple top
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 21, 2016,
Plenty of excellent guitars are bolt-on.

Plenty of crap guitars are bolt on.

PRS tend not to make crap guitars, though. So, assuming the rest of the spec is in the ballpark for what you're shopping for, and your wallet will stand it, it would be daft not to try it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
there's a reason the older ones still sell for between $1000 and $1500.

bolt on does not mean cheap.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Fuck the bolt-ons, they've just made their first 8 string guitar, and Tosin Abasi has it.
2k for a bolt on isn't really that odd if it utilizes great construction and high quality woods. Ibanez, Jackson, Ernie Ball Music Man all have bolt on models that are over 2k and some over 3k.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Used PRS CEs with the standard PRS curve and American parts are better value. If I want to spend $2000 on a PRS bolt-on, I'd go for the discontinued Johnny Hiland model.