We are talking about guitar soloing.

To me phrasing and articulation are not only more important but vital.

Phrasing is making a simple musical statement with a few notes then answering that statement with another and it goes on and on like that.

If you can play one single solitary note nice and clear right on time and play it as loudly or as softly as the sound you have in your mind and hold it for the length of time you're going for that's what I call articulation.

I don't have anything against learning modes and scales and practicing them over backing tracks. ,if that's how you get your pleasure from playing the guitar.

I have just heard this too much: a guitar user has learned pentatonic. Now he's at a jam session. just taking a dump on the music.

Playing a string of notes that say nothing. Completely out of sync with the band, just totally ignoring them and playing those notes he's learned. The bent notes are flat, all notes are out of time, phrasing and articulation are not bad,... They are nonexistent.

No feeling for the music no expression. You know what I'm talking about.

If you've learned a lot of scales and modes I'm not saying that's bad, it's a good thing. Just don't be like that guy I described.
One of the best guitar players ever knew all those modes and scales and used them but he said he did not think of them when he was playing. In other words he didn't think"hey this scale would work great here" . He said it clouded up his thinking or something like that.

I think it was like he couldn't access the creative artistic side of his brain using the analytical logical side so he combined the two. Maybe that's what you have to do.
Why cant you have both?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
modes and scales are dumb and useless
stop learning them
no, seriously
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
In before a certain BMW driver.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why cant you have both?

you can't ~feel~ the music if you have a basic idea what you're doing
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
you can't ~feel~ the music if you have a basic idea what you're doing

Yeah I remember when I used to jerk off to Freddie King too
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
as far as I know, it isn't a matter of using scales or not. It's using them intentionally or not. you use them not matter what
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by EndTheRapture51
solos are for old men in 80s hair metal bands

Stay focused on Kesha, please.
Quote by BladeSlinger
as far as I know, it isn't a matter of using scales or not. It's using them intentionally or not. you use them not matter what

Exactly, even if you're just playing gibberish, it's all chromatic baby.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by whywefight
Can we reopen this debate cuz I feel like I should learn more theory

Yes

but not in this forum

go to Musicians Talk, yope

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why cant you have both?

The last sentence in my post addressed this. You can have both. All great sounding guitar players use scales and modes. Some of them don't know the names of them and have not studied them in the scholarly way. That doesn't mean they aren't using them. They have learned from studying other guitar players and learning songs.

Hydroxy-I listened to that song posted not long ago. I thought it was good.the Scale mode backing track routine is important to you I accept that. There's no reason to get sarcastic about it. Maybe broaden your horizons a little if you want.

I'm just going by that little piece of music I heard. Maybe you are a bamf when you rock out with the band .
srsly