It seems with the internet this should be easy but I'm having a tough time finding someone. Ironically enough I live in New York City so I know there are great guys around, I'm just not sure where to look.

I'm looking for a teacher who's good with late intermediate/early advanced students mostly.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Funkfish at Feb 21, 2016,
I was in a similar situation to you about a year ago when I moved to a new town. In my case I was in a small town, which carried a different set of difficulties. On the one hand, there are fewer musicians, but on the other everyone knows each other. I think that a good advanced teacher is one that specializes in the type of music that you want to learn (don't just accept that "I play everything" bs). I would suggest trying to get in touch with gigging musicians who play the kind of music that you like and talking to them. Some of them may be teaching (it's hard to make a living out of gigging) or may know someone who does. It took me a year, but it was worth it.
Yelp has been helpful to me. Listing of studio's and instructors pops right up (along with their reviews).
Take an hour or so, phone a dozen reputable music stores and ask for three or four names of solid advanced teachers. You'll start to get a pretty good idea of who and what to look for, especially when you start hearing the same names or same schools coming up multiple times.

I can't speak for NYC but I can tell you that in my town (Vancouver), sites like Craigslist would be a waste of your time if you are looking for an instructor. What the locals do (and it is kind of comedic) is post ads in sections like "Services" or "Community" offering various levels of instruction and then they flag each others' posts like mad, resulting in all of them having their posts deleted. And that laughable little war has been going on for years; anyone with any actual merit walks around that squabble like it is a swamp.

Try get them chatting beyond the price, times and lesson conditions on your enquiry call. See if their strengths and musical background meet your needs.
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
It depends on what you want to study. If your near NY you should make a list of your 10 favorite guitarists (or guys who do exactly what you want to do) in town, find their websites and get in touch; most guys teach. If I had to give you names out of nowhere--Jonathan Kreisberg and Miles Okazaki both teach and live in NY and are both monstrous players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btAQuLSIug4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBj02IScL64
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by Funkfish
It seems with the internet this should be easy but I'm having a tough time finding someone. Ironically enough I live in New York City so I know there are great guys around, I'm just not sure where to look.

I'm looking for a teacher who's good with late intermediate/early advanced students mostly.

Any ideas?

Find someone who teaches jazz
I am friends with some of the greatest guitar teachers all over the world. I'll contact them to see if any of them live in NY. Keep in touch so I can get back to you on this lol.