Hey everyone.

I am considering a pickup experiment: I have a set of Duncan AHB1s in my LP-style mahogany Michael Kelly guitar with 24.75 scale, set mahogany neck, fixed bridge, string thru, ebony board....

And I would like to try them out in my B. C. Rich flying V, basswood body, bolt on maple neck, 25.5 scale, rosewood board, Kahler trem (locked most of the time).

And since I do not posess the manual talent to do it myself, I need to pay my luthier, for experiments like these. That´s why, prior to paying him, I´m trying to find people who already have experience with st. like this, or at least enough general experience to give me a qualified estimation.

So how would those AHB1s sound in that basswood B.C. Rich, compared to the original magogany LP style MK? In terms of more or less bite/attack, darker/brighter tone, more muddy/more articulate, etc. etc....

Thank you very much in advance for all your views!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 21, 2016,
The scale length will make a bigger difference but it will move the tone in the same direction anyway - it will sound a bit brighter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The scale length will make a bigger difference but it will move the tone in the same direction anyway - it will sound a bit brighter.

....and do you think there is a good chance to achieve at least a tiny bit more articulate and less muddy tone, with more attack and bite?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Yes - but because of the scale length, not the type of wood. Most "tonewood" discussions regarding solid bodied guitars are full of shit IMO. Sure it makes a tiny bit of difference - but only a tiny bit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes - but because of the scale length, not the type of wood. Most "tonewood" discussions regarding solid bodied guitars are full of shit IMO. Sure it makes a tiny bit of difference - but only a tiny bit.

OK, thanks. I definitely do not overestimate that tone wood topic. That´s why I also mentioned all the other features of both guitars. Maybe I should change the title of the thread, I definitely do not intend to start one of them bloody tonewood fights....
I think the real thing to address here is that installing pickups is really quite easy, and for the price of paying your tech to do one installation, you could buy all the stuff you need to do it yourself as many times as you please, and half an hour of soldering in front of a youtube tutorial will have you up and running in no time.

I strongly, strongly suggest that you give it a shot.

As to the tonal difference, there's more variation between individual guitars than there tends to be between body woods. So there's really no saying exactly what one particular instrument will sound like - there are bright and dark basswood guitars, even though they tend to be brighter. The scale length as mentioned is a better indicator.
Agreed. However just a hint. The hardest part to do is the earth to the back of the pots. You need an iron with plenty of grunt to melt the solder on the pot without getting everything too hot. I find that 60W is too low, go up from there and you should be ok. 60W is heaps for most things but pots are a big heatsink.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^+1
it would be cheaper to buy the soldering iron and solder than to have a tech do it.
you can literally get a soldering iron and solder for <$10

Here a whole setup for $9
www.ebay.com/itm/New-14in1-60W-110V-Electric-Soldering-Tools-Kit-Set-Iron-Stand-Desoldering-Pump-/381141494434?hash=item58bdcdaaa2:g:7D8AAOSw~gRV3mhD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gentlemen, dear Lords of the Solder, thank you kindly, but please do not tempt me to enter your realm. You can not imagine the butter my fingers are made of....

Plus I am also having my tech to do other things on the guitar, like fretwork and stuff, so I am not paying just for the electronics.... And thank goodness the guy has a very reasonable price policy....
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 22, 2016,
You should certainly notice a bump in the clarity and articulation in the V.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
ok i'm interested in why you would yank good pickups out of a good guitar to put into a cheap guitar. what is going into the Kelly? sure those pickups will be a big improvement over the stock ones in your BCR (and i'm not bashing as i play BCR myself) so they will be an improvement regardless. just curious
Quote by monwobobbo
ok i'm interested in why you would yank good pickups out of a good guitar to put into a cheap guitar. what is going into the Kelly? sure those pickups will be a big improvement over the stock ones in your BCR (and i'm not bashing as i play BCR myself) so they will be an improvement regardless. just curious

Ay no problemo with your question, dude.... It´s a good one, so I´ll try to answer.

Originally I purchased those AHBs to go into my 28-inch scale baritone Ibanez. But I didn´t like them in that one, OK, tons of gain and low end, but they were lacking the bite and attack of the EMGs I had in that baritone as stock. So I put EMGs back to the baritone.

Then I put the AHBs to the Kelly. The stock pickups in the Kelly was the classic 81/85 EMG combo, which did not sound bad, but I already have EMGs all over my place, so I just wanted to try st. else. In the Kelly the AHBs sound much better than in the baritone, but still a bit muddy with a slightly loose low end.

So then I figured they could sound even better in the BCR, which is longer scale, different wood, different body style.... theoretically. But practically I haven´t done this step yet and I started this thread to ask wiser folks´opinion, before I do.

As for the Kelly.... should the AHBs "fail to sound good" in the BCR, they will go back to the Kelly. And if I decide to keep them in the BCR, then I will start thinking what to put into the Kelly. But I´m not there yet, first I need to hear the AHBs in the BCR.

Oh, and I don´t have stock PUs in the BCR anymore, right after purchase, like 5-6 years ago, I changed them for EMG - the reversed order of the classic combo, i.e. 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck.

So that´s about it.

Complicated bastard.... am I not?
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 23, 2016,
Further ideas/opinions, please?
Quote by Airfish
Further ideas/opinions, please?

They will probably sound very similar in both guitars Not much else can be said. The one with shorter scale length will sound a bit brighter. But the pickups make the most difference, and between two solid bodies they will sound the same.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
They will probably sound very similar in both guitars Not much else can be said. The one with shorter scale length will sound a bit brighter. But the pickups make the most difference, and between two solid bodies they will sound the same.

Shorter scale will be brighter? So according to this in my case the PUs would sound darker, after moving them to the longer scale guitar? Even if that longer scale one is basswood, which tends to be brighter than mahogany, according to some people?
No. The longer scale is brighter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh damn, that was a brainfart from my side, sorry.

Regardless, the wood itself has very, very little to do with tone.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Oh damn, that was a brainfart from my side, sorry.

Regardless, the wood itself has very, very little to do with tone.

Say what? "Brainfart"?! Hahahaha.... what a cute new English word I just learned, from a guy whose first language is probably not English either....

And thanks for "unfarting" also to Cathbard.
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 24, 2016,
My comparison was comparing the V's stock pickups to the SDs. The SDs will certainly sound brighter. Comparing it to the original guitar, it might not sound much difference. I have found that wood types don't matter as much with actives. Wood matters, but active pickups (especially with active eq) can effectively eq the 'wood' out of the equation.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan