i am using a focusrite 2i4 into reaper, and i want to know how to set my microkorg up as a controller. i am also not totally sure i know what it does .

what i would like to do is use the keyboard so it can be able to use different keys for different drums for a synth (right word?) drumset for recording on reaper.

i am sorry i am not a big computer guy, so keep it simple if you can.

thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/104/

Maybe the midi implementation and quick start guide will help.
If it has USB driver you can use that, if not via midi out into your interface via standard 5 pin midi cable. You can set the DAW to receive on all midi channels until you're sure you got it working.
Then you'll have to read or watch videos on how to add a new synth in your DAW. First you have to specify the instrument, the Chanel's it sends and receives on in the DAW, then add to the project as you would a vsti.
It is a pain the first time, midi is still something that appears to be a black art.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 22, 2016,
Okay, this is what I'd do if I was trying to get this to work.
Go into Reaper
Click Options
Go to preferences
Click MIDI Devices
There should be 2i4 MIDI in the first box
Right click and select enable input
Your MIDI in on your device should be working and with your Microkorg hooked up via midi to your 2i4 should transfer the midi info to your computer.

Now when you select a VSTI in Reaper make sure that the input is saying MIDI Input:All Channels

Let me know if this works for you, if you have difficulty I can supply screen shots.

But let me give you some advice, just look into an inexpensive midi keyboard like a Line 6 mobilekeys49. I got mine for $20 at Guitarcenter and it has more range and options than the Microkorg is going to offer as a midi device.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
i can necrobump my own threads lol.

what cables do i need to run from the synth to the interface? am i running it in the in? or out? i have absolutely no clue, i am sorry.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
5-Pin Midi cable
on the korg plug into the out

on the interface plug into the in
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
It's a 5-pin din cable, also called midi cable.
If you look for them on ebay, the ones called 5-pin din will be generally cheaper.

Out from the controller, in on the interface.
If you also want to send info to the controller, so to make lights light up and show you info (if the controller supports it, that is) then you also need another cable just like the other one, going from the output on the interface to the in on the controller.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Some Microkorgs seem to also have MIDI over USB. Korg's USB MIDI installer might seem sketchy, but the driver itself works very well with REAPER