Hopefully the colorful title got your attention.lol

Anyway, I'm working on a labor of love project from some odds and ends I've had kicking around. I'm reshaping a strat style Hamer Slammer body with standard trem and attatching a D shape Jackson style neck I picked up for 30 bucks unfinished.

So, here comes the fun stuff...

The neck has a shelf style nut to house a Floyd style nut. This paired with a regular strat bridge is, well, useless... Thus, I'm trying to find a non-locking alternative that would fit the standard route.

I've read up on an Ebonol replacement that would be ideal, but it seems they're out of production. I've looked into roller nuts, but they all will generally effect the "zero" point of contact and screw the intonation. I'm wondering if maybe a Wilkinson style nut might work...

If anyone has a recommendation, i'd love some input.
I've considered this, obviously for simplicities sake, but the nagging idea of tone loss bothers me. Not to mention, I'm a completist and having something on it that's void of functionality would permanently bug me. :/
go get a new graph tech nut blank and make a new nut. add a rosewood/ebony whatever wood your jackson neck has, insert it into the space between the new nut and the tuners forming a slot for the nut. make it match the rest of the fretboard. this will cover the holes too. glue, shape, sand and you're done.

fwiw, a locking nut on a strat trem isn't entirely useless. it's 50% more then you have now.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 22, 2016,
Quote by DethCouture5150
I've considered this, obviously for simplicities sake, but the nagging idea of tone loss bothers me. Not to mention, I'm a completist and having something on it that's void of functionality would permanently bug me. :/

You arnt going to lose a single bit of tone. The nut only affects open strings. And the top part being locked doesnt add or subtract any tone whatsoever.