I got this guitar a couple of weeks, get alot of squealing from the bridge pickup. even when i mute the strings it still howls. i had the bridge pickup replaced with a duncan distortion. I assumed it would help fix the noise issues as well as improve the sound. but im still having the same problem. i play through a jet city 2212c, stock chinese tubes, i did order a jj replcement set though. i dont really have the problem on the crunch channel, just the overdrive channel with the gain up. my ibanez doesnt have nearly as much noise and will stop with the strings muted. thanks in advance.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
When you have a lot of gain/overdrive/dirt/whatever you want to call it, noise and feedback are very prone to get in the signal. It is possible your Ibanez just does a better job of keeping the signal from feeding back.

How close are you to your amp when you get squeals with the J5? How loud do you have the amp master volume set?
have you tried a different instrument cable?

could be microphonic tubes too.

or just too much gain and too close as WL says
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
master volume is about 2-3 and gain is like 6-7, and i, like 10 feet away. i could buy another cable if that seems to be the problem. tubes should be arriving tomorrow. so i can check that tomorrow.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
after messing around after work ive realized its the boss SD1. without the pedal on i can move around and get the feedback to go away, with it on not chance. turned the gain down to about 5 and the levle on the pedal to about half way and its alot better.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 22, 2016,
ah right yeah there's your problem yeah if you run the gain on the pedal too high in combination with too much amp distortion that'll do that. a lot of people set the level high and the drive low (so level at max, drive at or near minimum), though that only works if the amp is already fairly distorted (if it's clean it'll be way too loud and kill your ears), but you don't have to do it that way if you prefer the sound with a bit more dirt from the pedal and less from the boosting. so it's up to you. just as long as you aren't getting the unwanted feedback it's all good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ohh i had the level all the way up and the drive all the way down. i turned the volume(level) down to about half way and its better now.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
oh ok. yeah in that case it's just a matter of setting it so you don't get feedback. or if you prefer the tone with the level all the way up turn the amp gain down a bit to compensate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a noise gate to throw right before the amps input after the OD pedals. hot pickups and a signal boost seems to be the issue and a noise gate will help.

My amps do the same thing when using a OD as a boost. I put a MXR Smart Gate at the end of the chain then I plug into the amp input and it works with no issues now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 24, 2016,
yeah and all the chrome on the guitar doesnt help im sure. but ill look into getting a noise gate to help.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah and all the chrome on the guitar doesnt help im sure. but ill look into getting a noise gate to help.
Fun stuff those metal parts are, they do nothing to solve feedback but do quite a lot to keep buzz and noise out the signal. All the metal is (or should be) grounded so that the buzz that would get in your signal from electro magnetic interference is actually highly reduced.
i was mostly referring to the chrome pickguard. i saw a mod where a guy put felt cloth under the pickguard and behind the nut. and screwed down the bridge extra tight with two extra screws, looked to solve the problem. pretty sure its an issue with this model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdWHeX4As0
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by romeozdistress

the pick-guard is plastic, and at most may have a metallic backing, but I'm not sure on that

Get a noise gate
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i will when i can, until then ill just have to deal with it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
You are overdriving the preamp on the amp. My guess is that the Distortion pickup is really high output, and it is hitting the pedal hard, which is then hitting the amp hard. Turn the volume and gain on the pedal down, or turn the pedal off, and you will have a sound you can work with.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan