Hi Mitrak!

Thank you very much for your review.

I've listened to two songs by you. Creep and Captive.

What I really liked is the way you can instantly set the atmosphere for a track. it comes across in your playing and your singing. And the timbre of your voice is really mellow but you need to train it a bit to hold off notes better.

Things you can improve:

MIXING
Your mixes are too too too quiet. And the volume levels of different parts (are they played simultaneously or layered over one another?) don't match.
That said your intros are inaudible on most speakers. You will have to use headphones to just hear them.

As far as mixing, try listening to the same track on different speakers. Mixing (setting the volume levels right) is A LOOOONg process unless you are a professional sound engineer and even they sometimes mess this thing up!

The key here is that the whole song should be the same volume level!!!! (pretty much) Try using the volume indicator on your computer. You need a compressor (most recording programs have free compression plugins) to make your whole track the same volume level.

SONG STRUCTURE

The individual parts in your song sound cool but there are too few of them, hence the song gets repetitive. To make a song less repetitive you need backing vocals or another melody played on an instrument, or maybe add some kind of bass/percussion. Or you can change your main melody to go high and low to change things up, if you don't want to add any more parts to your songs (like bridges or instrumentals).

VOCAL PERFORMANCE

Looks like you've made this mistake of thinking that singing is easy. Well, it's easy for people who sing 10 hours a day. To sing quiet parts on key with emotion might just be the most difficult part for an artist (but it sounds on records as if it's easy as pie). Because you need to strain your body to hold the note but your voice should remain mellow - that's freaking difficult!!! Sing every day a variety of songs, with quiet and loud parts to train your voice to go up and down and stay level for a few seconds (long high or low notes work best here). Some people can do it naturally but you need to learn how to do this (George Harrison also had to learn to do this and you can see where it got him ).

Cheers, man! Keep making music!
First of all, thanks a for a really great and detailed crit. Most people don't take the time to give that much detail.

My mixing definitely needs some work, I've only been toying with my interface for a couple months. I'm aware of the low volume, but I'm working on increasing volume without increasing background noise too much. The information about the compressor is really helpful, obviously Studio One has one, but I didn't even know what it did.

About the song structure, I'm working on getting the drums on Studio One to import. I don't have a bass, but I'm looking into MIDI or lowering my guitar an octave.

By the way, Creep is a Radiohead cover, so the song structure is on them.

And finally, my vocals. Singing is hard, much harder than playing guitar or piano. I've really just gotten into it, but I'm getting lessons and practicing everyday, so I see myself improving soon.

Overall, thanks, that was an extremely helpful crit.
No problem man. Keep going! Sky is the limit.

People will be much easier on you if you learn how to record your own music properly.

P.S. My own mixes suck balls and non-music people ignore them altogether. So, it's a very good idea to either learn how to do this properly or to pay smb to do it for you (if you can find a person like that).

I once made this mistake of thinking that mixing is 'not so important' and was way off because it actually is the most important part. Mixing is what makes a song sink or swim in the end. No one cares how well you can sing or play if the whole thing is difficult to listen to.

Cheers!