I finished recording this song just a short while ago. Wrote it in the weekend. I'm not the tightest player in the world, but I'm fairly happy with the result anyway. Also, I have no clue how to mix things, so it might be terrible!

Let me know what you think though.

https://benjamin-storm.bandcamp.com/releases
Last edited by Caelumamittendu at Feb 25, 2016,
Thanks for checking out my tune

'Space Metal' is totally the right tag for this track!! Even when the song isn't relying on ambient effects, it still has a lot of atmosphere.

I'm gonna guess you're at least a casual fan of Dream Theater? The motif at 0:44 and 1:30 gives off that vibe. I'm not sure how you did it, but that guitar lead reminds me of Petrucci just as much as the synth lead reminds me of Rudess. However you accomplished that, word.

The clean break at 1:44 was a cool twist, and although I would have loved that section to be just a tad bit longer, I also believe that you cut it back to the distorted guitars at the perfect moment. The listener has enough time to appreciate that section, but it doesn't go on any longer than it needs to, especially since it comes back at 2:50. But again, you kept it short and sweet.

I wish the rhythm guitars at 2:14 were a bit louder and thicker, but that's just how I would have gone about that part. The guitar sounds like it's playing a heavy riff that's begging to just pop out a little bit more.

My favorite part of the track was easily the harmonized guitars at 3:01 and the piano break that it leads into. It's such a wonderfully orchestrated part and I had to rewind to that point a few times because of how much I was digging it.

The syncopation at 3:25 felt a little off the first two times I listened to it, but as I give it a few more times I'm starting to see what you're getting at there. But I like when a song makes me go back and re-evaluate how I'm seeing it.

The final section starting at 4:12 is a brilliant way to end this track. It seems like it's going to go off somewhere for a second, but then it brings the song down to the planet and ends the mission.

Really, really dug this track, and I know I'll be listening to it a lot in my free time
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
Thanks for checking out my tune

'Space Metal' is totally the right tag for this track!! Even when the song isn't relying on ambient effects, it still has a lot of atmosphere.

I'm gonna guess you're at least a casual fan of Dream Theater? The motif at 0:44 and 1:30 gives off that vibe. I'm not sure how you did it, but that guitar lead reminds me of Petrucci just as much as the synth lead reminds me of Rudess. However you accomplished that, word.

The clean break at 1:44 was a cool twist, and although I would have loved that section to be just a tad bit longer, I also believe that you cut it back to the distorted guitars at the perfect moment. The listener has enough time to appreciate that section, but it doesn't go on any longer than it needs to, especially since it comes back at 2:50. But again, you kept it short and sweet.

I wish the rhythm guitars at 2:14 were a bit louder and thicker, but that's just how I would have gone about that part. The guitar sounds like it's playing a heavy riff that's begging to just pop out a little bit more.

My favorite part of the track was easily the harmonized guitars at 3:01 and the piano break that it leads into. It's such a wonderfully orchestrated part and I had to rewind to that point a few times because of how much I was digging it.

The syncopation at 3:25 felt a little off the first two times I listened to it, but as I give it a few more times I'm starting to see what you're getting at there. But I like when a song makes me go back and re-evaluate how I'm seeing it.

The final section starting at 4:12 is a brilliant way to end this track. It seems like it's going to go off somewhere for a second, but then it brings the song down to the planet and ends the mission.

Really, really dug this track, and I know I'll be listening to it a lot in my free time

Wow! Thanks for the awesome comment, it's really appreciated!

I am indeed a fan of Dream Theater, and especially their early albums. So compositionally I took huge inspiration from Images and Words, but I couldn't quite find the sounds to match it, which might be a good thing, as it might have been too much Dream Theater.

About 2:14, now that I'm listening to it again I agree with you!

I'm really glad you liked the track and that you took your time to write such a wonderful comment. It's really appreciated.
I like your photo on the track haha

The track opens nicely, it sets the quirky/proggy mood. The drums are mixed pretty nice, but the kick does sound quite fake, it doesnt have quite enough low end. The guitar tones are nice and the playing is tight. The melody instrument is kinda thin, doesnt really grab attention, it probably needs to be a bit fatter if its gunna be leading the track. The modulation is cool, haha, very fun. Your playing is good, but the track feels a little bit unstructured and like its sort of gone on a tangent. You have your idea, which sounds nice and is developed, but the track as an entity feels a tad aimless. Unless youre going for a jam sort of thing, you gotta recycle material in more of a sense than just developing the main idea. Have your sections yo

The mix is nice, tones are nice, other than structure its a good job man

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1697255
Fantastic man really reminded me of dream theater read up above you were a fan and it definelty showed. whats to say the playing was tight I like how you used a very spaced drum beat nothing to over the top I felt it help compliment what you were doing on the guitar as well as the synths I love where you took this song if I had one critique I want that synth to be a little less high frequency don't get me wrong it played a huge part in what made this song good but it was the quality of that one instrument that put any sort of damper on what is a nice track!!! heres a prog metal song of mine....c4c?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1697689