This is super frustrating!

look at this for example:

how do I know the names of the chords? I don't know which fingers to use. It's so frustrating!
I do not know what the chord is either, but I would suggest barring at the third fret and moving everything that is on a lower fret on the tab to a lower string. The fingering would be more intuitive in my opinion.
If you look at what key you're in (C) you should be able to work it out from there.
So try by starting with your hand in a C major positing and go from there.
At the end of the day, the specific fingering doesn't ~really~ matter, as long as you can get a good sound out of it.
Just do what feels comfortable.
Just add up the notes and see what they spell. Nearly all of the downbeats are chord tones. The pieces is also pretty much entirely C Dm and G.

As for the fingering, you'll just have to experiment and see what allows you the most fluid movement and creates the smoothest sound. In classical music, melodic contour is of utmost importance.
I tried to do finger positions that make it easier to get to the next part. How I figure that out? Trial and error and sometimes asking someone really experienced and showing them my issue. Hence why I now have a teacher.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Ya, for me it would be whatever is "easiest", and I'd figure that out from trial and error. The reason I put that in quotes, is because sometimes your hands suck at doing some given fingering, and are better at some other one, but in the long run, if your hands were equally good at both , then the currently harder one would be easier. Less hand movement, sort of thing. So, I put the effort into making the harder way easier, because once I can do that, I'll be that much better at guitar. I will have more dexterity, and would be able to do whatever it is I learned to do, more quickly, and relaxed, and easily, in the long run.

What comes before and after also influence my decision for fingering. There are a number of chords where I have multiple go-to grips for the same inversion, that I use depending on what makes most sense at the time.

I want to be able to do everything as easily as possible. Which again, is not what was easy for me to begin with, but that is easiest once I get my dexterity up to whatever level I need it to be.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Feb 24, 2016,
For fingering, I usually try a few alternatives and try to find something that works and flows nicely with the note(s) and fingerings before and after the chord.

As for naming chords, learn the notes of the fretboard, and learn some music theory.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.