I got issues..I know this....but you only live once

I have for awhile now a Taylor 314c. Then during the summer of 2015 I got myself a Martin LX1 for toting around or just sitting on the couch.

But for some damn reason the Taylor GS Mini (not the Baby Taylor mind you) has really gotten my attention.

I am seriously going to try it out this Saturday at GC, and possibly leave with it.

Am I nuts?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
not at all. the GS mini smokes the LX1 or the taylor baby.

let us know how you like it when you try it
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
not at all. the GS mini smokes the LX1 or the taylor baby.

let us know how you like it when you try it

Patticake I know you are the go to person for acoustics on the internet (I see you around a lot and not in a bad way). Do you think if I really like it should I just turn in the LX1?
whether you should turn in your LX1 depends on why you play it. it has a smaller lower bout than the GS mini, so if you have shoulder injuries (doesn't sound like you do), it's a better choice. also easier to fit into small spaces, and for some it might make a better couch guitar as it has such a compact body.

otherwise i'm with stepchildusmc - bye, LX1!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have the GS Mini spruce top. Really like it, though a lot of people say the mahogany top is more preferable (more mellow tone compared to the brightness of the spruce). I played both in the shop and didn't notice a significant difference and the spruce top had the in-built electronics.

PROS:
- Travel size.
- BIG SOUND! Like seriously, louder than most of the full size acoustics I tried.
- Smaller scale length if that's your thing.

CONS:
- The natural resonance of my guitar is around G/G# so those notes tend to lose sustain, especially G @ 5th fret on the 3rd string.
- The smaller size can make it hard to sit up straight and hold, but maybe that's just me. I normally stand instead.
- Clip on capo's that use a simple spring to apply pressure tend to throw the guitar out of tune after a while. I've heard more expensive capo's don't cause this to happen.
the GS mini has a 14 3/8" lower bout - smaller than a dread but about the width of an 00 sized guitar. the little martin has a 12 1/2" lower bout, almost 2 inches smaller so easier to travel with.

i hear a hint of laminate boxiness from the GS mini, but just a touch, and i like the tone far better than the taylor baby, although that's personal preference.

for the same price as a GS mini you can get an all-solid recording king, but the GS mini is nice, and i hope you really like it when you try it out.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by gweddle.nz
...Clip on capo's that use a simple spring to apply pressure tend to throw the guitar out of tune after a while. I've heard more expensive capo's don't cause this to happen.

I only tried in terms of spring loaded the Kyser capo and I HATED IT! 99% of the time the guitar would be completely out of tune as soon as it was put on, and at times I had to fiddle with the tuning just to get it to sound right. Then there is my G7th capo: that is da bomb.

Also, I posted this topic on FB in the Taylor forum and someone said to also try (assuming they have one) Martin Dreadnought Jr. Thoughts on that?
Yeah I've heard the G7th is amazing. I will probably grab one at some point, but money is tight atm. Funny, on my old crappy Fender acoustic it didn't matter, that thing almost never went out of tune regardless of capo use.
Guys...and ladies...if I do this I think I am just going to go for broke and get the Koa for it's just a sexy looking guitar. The wood is just beautiful!!!

Jealous? :-D
I like all Tyalors because of their fully-bolt-on neck joints, but I'm not sure how I would like a GS mini compared with a 314. It might be OK though, completely different kind of sounds. FWIW, I liked the mahogany-topped GSM better than the spruce-topped version, a bit mellower. I haven't tried the koa, bu tkoa has a reputation for acoustic variability, so it might depend on individual guitars.

I like screw capos best, eg the Dunlop Victor and the Planet Waves NS Mini. Shubb is OK, Kyser not so good. The thing about screw caopos is that you can adjust the pressure according to guitar and fret position, so they cause less tuning problems.
good luck on the Koa mini. I had one once( had every one of 'em matter of fact). nice choice. only one I kept was my HV GS mini(s).
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by Tony Done
I like all Tyalors because of their fully-bolt-on neck joints, but I'm not sure how I would like a GS mini compared with a 314. It might be OK though, completely different kind of sounds. FWIW, I liked the mahogany-topped GSM better than the spruce-topped version, a bit mellower. I haven't tried the koa, bu tkoa has a reputation for acoustic variability, so it might depend on individual guitars.

I like screw capos best, eg the Dunlop Victor and the Planet Waves NS Mini. Shubb is OK, Kyser not so good. The thing about screw caopos is that you can adjust the pressure according to guitar and fret position, so they cause less tuning problems.

Well the Mini to my 314 will be apples and oranges. Note it's not going to replace my 314. My 314 was my first owned Taylor (I played the higher ends that belong to my brother-inlaw) and can't just part with my 314 unless I have very good reason.

No sir, this baby or I should say Mini is going to replace the LX1 as my traveling guitar and quite frankly sexiest guitar for I am going Koa. I already put the down payment on her, and even if it isn't as bright as the Spruce, it's a fucking KOA! That shit isn't as easy to get.

Thanks for the input on the capos. I will see if they will let me take any out of the package and if not and not sure on any of them then I am going back to old faithful the G7th.
Last edited by fingerguy at Feb 26, 2016,
Quote by fingerguy
I already put the down payment on her, and even if it isn't as bright as the Spruce, it's a fucking KOA! That shit isn't as easy to get.
Unfortunately, it does carry a bit of stigma for its being used to make ukuleles.
Quote by fingerguy
Guys...and ladies...if I do this I think I am just going to go for broke and get the Koa for it's just a sexy looking guitar. The wood is just beautiful!!!

Jealous? :-D

Those are gorgeous guitars. Congratulations.
It's Sunday...and yes on Saturday I picked up my kid from her mothers, drove to Sam Ash first to get some picks (yes I know I am a fingerpicker) because my guitar teacher is having me work on a Led Zeppelin tune that is much easier and sounds better on pick. Anyway from there we drove to Brian's Guitars in Hamden CT and he brought her out and I almost came in my pants. I fingered her for a bit, she loved it by the way....THE GUITAR PEOPLE! Pretty much bought her on the spot.

However a few bad things:
1. The offer on my LX1 was $50 and he claims he can get it new about that price which bothers me considering what I paid at GC to get her.
2. For some reason my credit card did not allow me to make the purchase so I had to switch to my AE card. But later I look on my cell phone asking me via text if I am at this store making this purchase. I thought that was pretty cool.

Aside from all that and when the day was over and my kid was back at her mom's house I fingered the Koa a bit and then put the rest of the time into the new song using a pick. It's been years since I even touched a pick and it was like riding a bike. Go figure!

ME HAPPY!

Thanks all for the input and etc. Mr. Cranky, my guitar teacher plays that instrument quite a lot so IMHO there is nothing wrong with the stigma. He also plays guitar, bass, harmonica, and keyboard and I am certain if pushed he could play the drums.

Lastly, I am keeping the LX1 in the living room as my beater guitar. While it still looks new it's no Taylor!
Last edited by fingerguy at Feb 28, 2016,
Wow, $50 for a new Martin LX1? They sell for about $350 on GC! That's an insane markup.
congrats on your koa GS mini! i hope you enjoy it like crazy. btw, i've never heard this stigma - in my neck of the woods (los angeles), solid koa is considered a prestige wood. i know it sounds great.

the guy at your store is talking stupid. i've never seen an LX1 sell for less than $300, and my buddy with a guitar store and a great relationship with martin pays more than $50, so A) i'm doubting that $50 price he told you he pays and B) he may have just told you that to get you to take less money. GC would have given you $75 to $80 for it plus 10% or 15% off the GS mini as a trade in incentive.

but none of that matters now - what matters is you got your ax

btw, the first time i ever went to buy an electric guitar (at the now-defunct west l.a. music), my card declined. while i was trying to figure out what went wrong, my beeper went off (it was the early '90s), and turns out that the bank was trying to protect me just in case the purchase was fraud. a phone call and my card was working again, and i guess i'm glad that they were protecting me...
Quote by Skeet UK