Hey guys I know this question is asked a ton and I did search the forums for similar posts. Here is the situation. I have a peavey 6505 MH, tubescreamer, guitar with emg and guitar with dissonant aggressors. With no playing I get a crazy bad squeal. Muting the string solves it fine and if i mute the strings at the bridge and then take my hand off of it , the squeal comes backs small at first then builds into a shitstorm. Now i saw on a post that the squeal i get is just something i have to deal with if i wanna play high gain stuff and ill have to mute the strings while not playing. Is this the only solution? The way i see it is and tell me if i'm wrong here, is that since the noise can be muted with my palm and only starts up if I even gently touch the string, the decimator will stop it from building up because it will essentially cut out the sensitivity of my strings. So if i accidentally brush against up against a string there will be no noise. Kind of confusing i know. If you guys need more info lemme know. Thanks to all who answer.
A gate will probably help you. You can set the threshold so that you don't choke out the sound too much. I have mine just barely set so that I can get feedback if I want it, but if my hands are muting the strings, my amp is very quiet. Another thing you can try is backing away from the amp. Sometimes getting some distance between you and your amp is all you need to keep it from squealing out of control.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Thanks sludge! Yeah i also left my room with the guitar and the squeal did get much much better. My room is very tiny id say 12 ft between me and my guitar if that. Would you know how I should set the dec. up with my current setup? or do you know any good post that has a how to setup with a screamer? thanks again
Quote by dosamwolfso
Thanks sludge! Yeah i also left my room with the guitar and the squeal did get much much better. My room is very tiny id say 12 ft between me and my guitar if that. Would you know how I should set the dec. up with my current setup? or do you know any good post that has a how to setup with a screamer? thanks again

It's personal preference. Some people like to put the gate before their OD, and other people like it after the OD. I would say try it both ways to see what works best for you. There really are no wrong answers when it comes to pedal chains, as long as it sounds good, go with it.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Sorry I meant like the actual wiring with it. I only have ever used one pedal so hooking things up right to me might be hard. Would I set it up liek this guy in the video does ( different pedals I know) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV76RdTiIUA . For the last bit I would just put the output from the decimator to the amp b/c im not using delay or reverb right?
If you are only using an OD pedal, then you don't really have to do all of that. Just plug guitar into the gate, and patch to the OD, then to amp. You can also do it vice versa depending on your preference. Guitar>OD>Gate>Amp. The method in the video is good for using modulation effects when you don't have an effects loop.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
you could get a planetwaves guitar cable that has a kill switch built into the jack.mutes all sound till you press it again.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Alright thanks man, I realized that the g string model would be a more comparable setup to the one in that video. Thanks for all the help.
It sounds like you are too close to the amp at the volume and gain level you are playing with. Moving away from the amp so that the sound is not directly hitting the guitar's body will help. And turning the amp down some will help too. Feedback can be useful with heavy guitars though, it helps with sustain as well as the actual noise can be desirable for some parts.

A noise gate can help but it is not the solution. It may cut some feedback but other times it will not, and you can also loose some of your pick attack and some notes entirely if you have the gate set too high. If I am correct in your scenario, which is common, is that the very latent vibrations in the strings that happen right after you take your hand off from muting, is sending just enough signal that it causes feedback. So move away from the amp and/or turn it down.

Noise Gates do not work by cutting the sensitivity of your strings. No, they work by cutting the sensitivity of themselves: a "circuit gate" I guess. When the signal from your guitar reaches below a certain volume level, the gate will close so that no sound comes from the units before the gate (your guitar and whatever units you have plugging into the noise gate). When the signal from your guitar then breaches above that volume level, the gate re-opens. So noise is not eliminated, it is just hidden. It is still there when you are playing, but cut out when you are not playing.

Now a noise gate is especially useful for high-gain tones because they high-gain tones are noisy, even with humbuckers. If you can, place the noise gate in the effects loop of your amp. There, you will not only cut down on noise from your guitar and whatever pedals you are using, but you will also cut down on noise from the preamp of your guitar amp, which is where most of the distortion happens.