Total newbie, I want to start singing and be able to record it onto my computer machine and upload it to youtube or whatever.

I'm going to buy Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone

What else do I need to plug it into my PC?

Will this cable do the trick? Stagg 6m High Quality XLR to Phono Plug Microphone Cable

Or do I need to buy an audio interface and plug the mic into that and that into my PC?

(I use a Rocksmith cable to record my guitar so never got an audio interface and they're real expensive so I'd like to avoid it if I can. My PC soundcard is very old and cheap so no special slots there just the usual FYI)

Thanks....

so far i have this stuff in the shopping list...
£15 Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone
£14 Pulse Boom Mic Stand Black
£6 Stagg 6m High Quality XLR to Phono Plug Microphone Cable (not sure if this is what i need)
£no audio interface....?

EDIT
looks like I just need one of these and I can plug straight into my PC?

Ex-Pro® Professional Quality Gold Plated STEREO Audio Adaptor 6.35mm (1/4 INCH) Jack Socket to 3.5mm Jack Plug - for Headphones

EDIT:
ok i've ordered the following (can cancel still but looks OK to me...!)
Pulse Boom Mic Stand Black
Ex-Pro® Professional Quality Gold Plated STEREO Audio Adaptor 6.35mm (1/4 INCH) Jack Socket to 3.5mm Jack Plug - for Headphones
Stagg 6m High Quality XLR to Phono Plug Microphone Cable
Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone
Last edited by percydw at Feb 23, 2016,
Read this
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658707

You need an interface if you want good quality, don't get one of those Jack adapter things. There are a few really good usb microphones which will get you decent quality without an interface though, look at the Blue Yeti.
Most folk avoid Behringer products for a reason, they sound as cheap as they are usually. I'd suggest saving a bit more money and doing a bit more research. That link I posted has all the info you need to get started.
ok thanks buddy
im not really interested in quality or anything, just a bit of fun for a hermit who's getting into home kareoke...
i went and added these to the order, i'm guessing that's all the bits I need to get something going lol

Behringer 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer
Stagg Audio Cable 2m 3.5mm Mini Stereo Jack - 2 X 6.3 Jack - SYC2/MPS2P E
For the beginner I would look at:

Shure SM58

You will then need to make it talk to your computer (digitize it). Plenty of devices can do it, but higher price is higher quality, generally.

I'd look at used because there has been quality gear for 30 years for this purpose. I always say this, and of course there is the risk of buying something broken...

I like Midiman's stuff. I got a used Midiman Delta 1010 LT for $70. Works brilliantly, and simply plug a mic in and go. I can even have one on my guitar amp and one for me to sing in!

Plus it's more quality (192 kbps/24 bit) than you'll probably need anyway, so always a good thing. Recording at 192/24 can't hurt, then mix down to CD quality (44.1 kHz/16 bit).

Only downside is harddrive space. So? Buy a bigger hard drive!

Good luck, man. Glad you enjoy singing!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

ty for the help i've bought the behringer 802 interface, it seems to have enough buttons and holes in it, and behringer XM8500 mic just because it has good reviews whilst being is insanely cheap, since i am way way way way below novice level like 3 years below a novice singer (yes it is possible to be THAT bad at singing!) i'm not looking to spend any money .

hopefully catch up on friday after i give them a whirl !
Last edited by percydw at Feb 23, 2016,
for vocals condenser microphones or an sm58 would be best. I would reccomend an audio interface. if you plug a mic into your pc mic input its really noisey, especially for dynamic mics.
i got the dynamic mic coz i fancied the idea of holding it like a rock star lol. also its 15 bucks. interface is coming too as i wrote above
hi, my equipment arrived, i've managed to set it up in various ways, but i have a question

is it possible to send your computer System Sounds (ie youtube video sounds) to your audio interface and listen to them by plugging your headphones into your audio interface?

right now i have my speakers unplugged, my audio interface plugged into computer red socket, microphone plugged into audio interface mic socket, and headphones plugged into audio interface phones socket. i can hear my vocals when i talk into microphone but i can't seem to get system sounds to come out aswell.

is it possible to get both my vocals from the microphone AND my system sounds to go into my headphones by plugging into the audio interface?

i can (obviously) get system sounds by plugging in my speakers to the computer, but then my headphones plugged into the audio interface are noise cancelling so can't really hear my PC speakers very well.

or i can plug my headphones into my PC speakers green socket and listen to both my system sounds and my vocals (through audiocity), but the vocals have terrible latency

so i want both my vocals and my computer sounds to come directly to my headphones without latency/processing .

like i said i'm using audiocity, fiddling with the latency settings there didn't seem to do anything so i'm just plugging the mic and my headphones straight into the interface and playing music through my PC speakers socket to speakers

if i set my sound card as default sound device in windows 7 then i dont hear anything from it. i click the Test button and the green indicator moves to show its testing volume but i cant figure out how to get that sound into my headphones

thankyou
basically when i set my sound card to be the default device, i can see activity when sound plays on my system, but cant get that sound to come out of anything

edit

i ordered 2 of these "Cable Mountain 3m Gold Plated 3.5mm Jack to 2x Phono Plugs Cable" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001KEVSX8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 to see if you're supposed to plug these in to their 2x corresponding slots in order to get 2x channels of audio from your ssystem (ie plug both into the interface and then 1 into the red socket in your PC and one into the green socket) (i am currently using 1x of Stagg Audio Cable 2m 3.5mm Mini Stereo Jack - 2 X 6.3 Jack http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003SOSUX4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 whilst my behlinger audio interface also has 2x slots for 2x of the previously mentioned cables - presumebly allowing you to do 2 of something)

if that doesn't work then i might look at a new (cheap) sound card for my PC since my one is, well it says 1996 when i open device properties, of course its not that old really.

other than that, maybe it isn't possible to send both microphone input and system sounds output directly through your audio interface to your headphones? thats probably not the case tho

i couldn't google for much on this so i'm guessing its just a dumb lack of cables or out crap sound card thats giving me the issue. what i did see is a some people saying they dont bother to feed their microphone output to their system or headphones audio output because of latency issues , which does make me question if what i'm trying to do is possible.... on the other hand some people said they don't listen to their vocal output because the "only reason" to use headphones in the first place is to more clearly hear the backing tracks and NOT because it allows them to hear their own voice. but this doesn't sound right - surely being able to hear your voice well (and not muffled by studio headphones) is extremely important
Last edited by percydw at Feb 26, 2016,
update looks like the "audio interface" that i bought is actually "just a mixer" , whatever the fuck that means

update
looks like i will send my mixer thing back and get this instead and everything should work
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Musical-Instruments-Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-Computer-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Last edited by percydw at Feb 27, 2016,