Hey all, I just received my 6505MH and I'm really on the fence about which cab to get.

A little back story if anyone's interested, but I do a lot of bedroom playing with regular bedroom volumes (I'm in a house not an apartment so I can let it go a bit louder, loud enough where if it was an apartment it'd be totally unacceptable but not over the top where my neighbors are going to call the cops), and all I've got in my bedroom is an old Line 6 Spider III that's served me well as a practice amp for the last 6+ years. With that said, I've got a 5150 2x12 combo in my basement that I've had for a while that I'll crank up to jam with my brother every once and a while who plays drums but I honestly don't play it as much to make that amp worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love that 5150, but it's not the most practical thing to be lugging around. Unfortunately the 6505MH didn't exist when I grabbed the 5150 combo and my current situation is a little different as well, and that amp, it's volume, and how physically large it is, just isn't right for me anymore.

So, with that said, I've got my 6505MH just sitting on top of my Line 6 waiting for a cab at this point. I'm not really trying to go 2x12, even though I know the benefits of one over a 1x12, but I'm really just interested in having the amp for bedroom use, practicing, and recording at my desktop, and when the odd occasional time calls for it, jamming with my brother in the basement. With that said, I've really honed it to a couple options.

Right now, I'm down to the Mesa Widebody 1x12 closed back, the Orange PPC112, and the Mesa Rectifier 1x12. I'm looking for tight bass response (I do a lot of Lamb of God, August Burns Red, and Killswitch Engage type of metal that demands the clarity and tightness but low end punch). That said, I'm on the fence if a closed back cab is really something that makes sense for a bedroom or if an open back would help with a lower volume situation when you're not really driving the amp. Really, I'm leaning towards the Mesa Widebody 1x12, and the only reason I haven't jumped is because the Mesa Rectifier has a V30 instead of the C90 and I know how everyone feels about a 6505 and a V30'd cab. The PPC112 is kind of the compromise here as it has a V30 as well and is cheaper than the Rectifier, but I'm not really sure if the added size and front porting of the Mesa Widebody would really be beneficial for a bedroom amp for some more sound output/low end.

So yeah, sorry for rambling, but I've been out of the amp/cab game for a while and I'm sort of rediscovering this stuff. For what I'm looking for which of those makes the most sense, and by all means, if there's anything else anyone recommends, please let me know. I'm all ears!

TL;DR - Mesa Rectifier 1x12, Mesa Widebody 1x12 Closed Back, Orange PPC112, or screw that, get something else!

Thanks guys, cheers!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Open backs are but 'softer', and lack the raw punch that you'd be looking for.

As to make, it really depends on the speakers within. If they all have V30s or G12, you probably could get any of them and it should sound good.

I'm partial to Mesa because

1) Orange is not a color I like
2) Cheaper than Orange around here

So it really comes down to personal prefs.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Also the Mesa V30 is actually different than the Orange V30.

I'd go Mesa Rectifier 112 and you can always just take the back off the cab if you want it open.

Or that new 6505 300W powered speaker may work well, at least the demos are cool and you could tell us about it!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Feb 23, 2016,
Quote by metalmingee
Also the Mesa V30 is actually different than the Orange V30.

I'd go Mesa Rectifier 112 and you can always just take the back off the cab if you want it open.

Or that new 6505 300W powered speaker may work well, at least the demos are cool and you could tell us about it!

I use actual Celestion branded V30s....
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by the chemist
I use actual Celestion branded V30s....

I think what he was trying to point out is that the Mesa Vintage 30 (made by Celestion) is not made for anyone else and is guaranteed to be made in the UK. Some argue they sound better too. Some claim they are also closer to 70 watts. I couldn't compare the two directly but I do love all 4 in my Mesa slant cab.

My vote goes to Mesa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-IGBhdkk8w
I think I'm gonna go with the Mesa. So now the question is the Rectifier 1x12 or the Widebody 1x12. Besides just the size, it appears that the widebody has a ported front to the right of the speaker. Not sure how much of a difference this would actually make. That said, I'd imagine the bigger difference is between the V30 and the C90. I've never had experience with the C90 personally.
Taylor 214CE

Me either. I've been a V30/Greenback guy for years.
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by Cajundaddy
For low end punch... Mesa closed back 1x12.

Which one would be punchier at lower practice volumes for start/stop staccato riffing, the Mesa Rectifier 1x12 with the V30 or the Mesa Widebody 1x12 with the C90? I'm torn between either. Leaning the rectifier due to the v30 but also the Widebody for the larger size and front port.
Taylor 214CE

A Carvin 2x12 horizontal is $270 with their GT12 speakers. Add $130 for a pair of V30's.
Poplar plywood (no particle board), open or closed back. Your choice of a fairly wide array of tolex colors.
Quote by Krauser
Which one would be punchier at lower practice volumes for start/stop staccato riffing, the Mesa Rectifier 1x12 with the V30 or the Mesa Widebody 1x12 with the C90? I'm torn between either. Leaning the rectifier due to the v30 but also the Widebody for the larger size and front port.

I would choose the Recto V30 but it's purely personal preference. Some guys prefer the C90 cab.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Here's also something to consider. I've got 100 bucks off amazon right now and can grab an Orange PPC112 V30 cab for 280 or the Mesa Rectifier 1X12 for 450. If the Mesa is really worth it, I'll do it but I'm not sure if it's almost 200 dollars more worth it at that point. I know I'm going in circles here, but if I'm gonna settle on a V30 cab, both seem very similar (same woods, roughly the same weight and dimensions though the Rec is taller and the Orange wider). I hear the Orange is a little darker which is fine by me, could help with some of the mid heavy focus of the 6505 anyway. For that price, is the Orange worth a shot over the Mesa? Totally forgot I've got some discounts there and I unfortunately can't get Mesa stuff on Amazon.
Taylor 214CE

at that price range i would go orange.

i have both mesa and orange cabinets, i find no fault in either of them.

avatar may be worth a look if you are in the us. i would still go with the orange though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Honestly - with that price difference I'd consider the Orange as long as they are not Chinese V30s.

Do you have to buy from Amazon?

If not, used cabs can actually be a great deal. If so, what's on your craigslist?

I don't have to buy from Amazon necessarily, i just have a gift card I got from work and figure I can snag one with free shipping to boot and take a hundred right off the top. And I'm in the philly area so there's options. Didn't really look into the Orange stuff around me but there's not really much Mesa stuff that catches my eye. There's a lad selling a Mesa 4x12 but that's gonna be a bit too much for me haha
Taylor 214CE

Don't rule out a 4x12 unless you have to. Don't get me a wrong. A 2x12 is pretty much just as loud. I'd look for a 2x12. Avatar makes great 212 cabs and you have a long list of speakers and accessories to chose from. That said, a 4x12 at a good price is great too. Basically better projection. Don't think of them as louder though.

Here is some stuff I saw in no particular order. Notice, there are other cabs available that I did NOT list.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/5450623325.html Ampeg 4x12 (find out what Eminence)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/5427206174.html Make offer those are great speakers
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/5440636556.html Example of what great speakers might cost
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/5396443615.html Carvin Legacy cab

But yeah, figuring out the right speakers/speaker cab is almost just as difficult and just as important as the amp itself. If you want to be absolutely sure and are not sure what to do otherwise - you can't go wrong with that Mesa cab. But for reference - I got my Mesa Rectifier (Traditional) 4x12 slant cab with Vintage 30s from Guitar Center for $450. No reason to pay that much for a new 1x12. Also keep in mind that speaker usually sound better as they get older or at least broken in.

Go used if you can man.

PS: ninja'd by trashedlostfdup
For the price I think I'm gonna go with the Orange PPC. A 4x12 is just way too much for what I'm trying to do which is bedroom jam and occasionally record. I've heard V30s are meh at bedroom/practice volumes. Would something like the EVH 5150 1x12 with the G12H30's be better for a bedroom?
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
For the price I think I'm gonna go with the Orange PPC. A 4x12 is just way too much for what I'm trying to do which is bedroom jam and occasionally record. I've heard V30s are meh at bedroom/practice volumes. Would something like the EVH 5150 1x12 with the G12H30's be better for a bedroom?

i don't know where you got that from. yes they are a little louder than some speakers as far as the sensitivity goes, but its not going to make or break an amp .

H30's are nice too. just different. just like a T75 or a K100 or a greenback.

i would just go for the orange ppc 1x12 in your shoes. mainly partially because of price, but Orange does make killer cabs. mesa isn't worth the price difference IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't know where you got that from. yes they are a little louder than some speakers as far as the sensitivity goes, but its not going to make or break an amp .

H30's are nice too. just different. just like a T75 or a K100 or a greenback.

i would just go for the orange ppc 1x12 in your shoes. mainly partially because of price, but Orange does make killer cabs. mesa isn't worth the price difference IMO.

Yeah I'm overthinking it as usual haha I went with the orange. At that price I really couldn't justify pulling the trigger on the Mesa and it ended up being the same price as an Avatar 112 with a V30 too. No shipping and no tax. Was gonna go black but figured if I'm going orange I've gotta actually get the orange tolex too haha. We'll see how she sounds when she shows up! Thanks for all the input guys, I'll make a formal NAD for it with some sound bites when it shows up. Cheers!
Taylor 214CE