https://soundcloud.com/borealia/anaerobia-instrumental-version

So I ended up buying a cheap interface a while ago with some Christmas tips from my clients at work, and I finally got it set up along with Reaper on my laptop tonight. I decided to try just plugging everything in direct and using a song I wrote a couple years back to test everything out, and I ended up just recording it all. I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I know it's a little rough around the edges, but I banged everything out in like two hours (pretty much everything you're hearing was a first take) and I used my cheapest guitar (a no-name Strat copy) and stock Reaper VSTs for distortion and delay and EQ. I'm still working on getting Bias FX for guitars and maybe upgrading from EZ Drummer to Superior Drummer for my drum tracks. But for what it is, a quick and dirty demo, it sounds pretty damn good to me! I can't wait to start actually working on music in a more serious way. I bet it'll sound a million times better than this!

Guitar: some Strat copy I bought off a friend for $50
Bass: Douglas WOB 826 fretless 6-string
Drums: EZ Drummer, just a default kit and nothing really done to edit
Synth: some free Minimoog style synth VST I downloaded because I needed a monophonic synth for the pre-solo bit.

It needs vocals still, but I'm no singer...

(for fans of: the last two Opeth albums, Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Karnivool)
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Last edited by travislausch at Feb 23, 2016,
It sounds good for a demo, but that's it. Not bad though for two hours of work. There are issues like the drums sounding really, really unrealistic, you can tell right away that it's not a real drummer. The bass is also too much in your face imo. But hey, that's all a nonissue considering how fast you put this together

As for the music itself, I like it. Needs vocals, sure, but all of the guitar and bass work is pretty nice, there are great riffs and cool clean parts as well. I especially like that part first heard at 2:08, it has a great vibe.

I'd like to hear a better quality version with vocals, this has a lot of potential. Really cool ideas.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
There are issues like the drums sounding really, really unrealistic, you can tell right away that it's not a real drummer.

Hahahaha yeah... when I first got EZ Drummer, this was the first track I tested it on like a year or two ago, and I have to say, I've figured out how to make my fake drums sound a bit better since. Most of that is just playing with dynamics.

The bass is also too much in your face imo.

I was kind of going for it being very bass-driven, but yeah that's probably going to change once I start using my better gear. Basically, I'm using a fairly decent bass against a plywood Strat copy and stock Reaper amp and effect plugins If I ever re-do this track, I'm using my Ibanezes and waiting until I've bought Positive Grid's Bias FX, at the very least. Funny enough, going into it, I was worried about the bass work not being audible enough, because it's a fretless with very dull-sounding flatwounds for the first 5 strings and a roundwound low B.

As for the music itself, I like it. Needs vocals, sure, but all of the guitar and bass work is pretty nice, there are great riffs and cool clean parts as well. I especially like that part first heard at 2:08, it has a great vibe.

I like that part too. It's just two simple chords, but they wouldn't normally go together under most circumstances, and they have a pretty cool way they rub together.

I'd like to hear a better quality version with vocals, this has a lot of potential. Really cool ideas.

I'm not a singer, so vocals are less likely to happen any time soon

But thanks for all the feedback! The next few tracks I'll end up working on are likely going to sound much better. More experience with my new setup and using better instruments and software will lead to some much better results. For a test, I'm still really happy with how this came out
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.