Hello everyone, i have a band for some years now, and since we constantly failed to find a proper singer i decided to do them myself since i've written all the melodies/lyrics. We recorded a demo and my vocals were ok but when we rehearse my voice is simply too weak and can hardly be heard (we play heavy/doom so there's a certain amount of volume). I tried to use a bass guitar distortion/compression pedal to boost my voice's volume but there was just too much feedback that kept ringing. Would a guitar pedal work better? I don't really use distortion for my voice, i just find an EQ combination which really helps the way i sound but the volume is my main problem...Any help and/or suggestions are welcome.
If you can't get enough volume, you do not need effects, you need either a better singing technique or better equipment. What kind of mic, amplification and speakers are you using?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
If you can't get enough volume, you do not need effects, you need either a better singing technique or better equipment. What kind of mic, amplification and speakers are you using?

well when we rehearse at my place i sing through an ibanez bass guitar amplifier with a cheap mic with a jack (no XLR). But that's not the thing, i know it's shitty equipment, the thing is when we go to the studio where there is a decent piece of equipment (don't know exactly what they've got though) i tell the guy to put the mic's volume as high as it can go and my voice still sounds lower than it should...
I had a similar situation when I started singing, but when I figured out proper singing technique, al lot of those problems were gone. You should find a teacher.
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112