For those of you who know I have had a Krank 1980 Jr for several years and that has filled my small amp needs for a while and I intend to keep it. That being said I want something more modern and versatile. I like the Rectoverbs, but I have also wanted a 5150III 50watt.

I play a variety of mostly punk, hardcore, metal and prog. I have a variety of cabs with V12's, G12h30's and GB128's. so what would you guys do? I really like the rectoverb, but the 5150III mini seems really nice also.

I do play in a band, so I would like to keep any other suggestions at least 50watts for the headroom
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 24, 2016,
If you have never owned a Mesa you probably should, at least once. Great amps for working musicians.
Quote by Cajundaddy
If you have never owned a Mesa you probably should, at least once. Great amps for working musicians.

+1

Love my Rectoverb (even without the verb part )

Rob - I am assuming you need cleans. When you say 'smaller' head are you saying you want a 'mini' or small box head?

There is the Mini Rectifier 25.

There is the 5153 15 LBX (but now clean channel). I would personally love to own a 5153 some day - specifically the Stealth.

Then there is this:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/msd/5410053668.html

or this:
I would like to have both of those amps , Rectoverb and 5150 III ..... I been eyeing some Rectoverbs heads on the local CL for 700.00 ish , the 5150 III aren't showing up as much used yet as you about have to ebay to find them
I actually just got a rectoverb, and so far it is exactly what I was hoping for. I used to have a single rec and for some reason just prefer that sound to my old 3 channel dual rec.

I have heard that the 5153 has a jump in volume from channels 1 to 2 FWIW.

Do you want wattage to be under 50?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
well a smaller head shell would be nice, but not 100% necessary. but if it is a smaller head shell I would like at least 50watts or a 20/30 watt power section that stays clean like the 2x 6l6 power section in my krank jr

The 5150III 50watter ticks all the boxes as does the rectoverb. I need to find a store with both so I can side by side them, maybe even the mini mark

I'm trying to keep it under $650-$700. I have a lot of car projects going right now and the ol lady is already kinda pissed about that, but that is a whole other story.

I want to get something not Marshally in tone this time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 24, 2016,
Mesa has a new 35 watt version of it's mini head coming out. guessing that would be over budget for you though.
Quote by monwobobbo
Mesa has a new 35 watt version of it's mini head coming out. guessing that would be over budget for you though.

yeah, the same with the mini mark. very cool amps, but over my budget

I have even thought about a different Krank Jr head, but I just want something different
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Instead of trying to find a smaller head, wouldn't it be easier to just look for a larger hat?

Or you could just piss off a witch doctor:

But serously you can't go wrong with MESA!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 25, 2016,
Is there anything you wanna know about the 5150 III 50? Have you played one?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I have played one, but it was a few years ago. So I would like to test drive one again.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I didn't know Splawn had mini heads, if they made one with a DI that didn't need a load, like my Hughes and Kettner, I'd be sold before I even had the money.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Oh my God. I live in Memphis and am tempted to drive to Houston for that. That is such a good deal. You need to buy that.

hoping to stop off our tour in memphis this weekend. It's out of the way, but Memphis is pretty cool.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
hoping to stop off our tour in memphis this weekend. It's out of the way, but Memphis is pretty cool.

If it's really out of the way, I wouldn't recommend it. We have a Gibson Factory, a Guitar Center with a pitiful amp and pedal selection. Other than that, we have three small but great local music shops. We do have incredible BBQ, though. Oh, and a high violent crime rate. Uh, the Midtown strip is great if you like dive bars (who doesn't?). Beale Street blows. We have a pretty large bridge if you wanna go to Arkansas or just look at a pretty large bridge. The Bass Pro that used to be the Pyramid has live alligators if you wanna...look at live alligators without going to the zoo. Our zoo is neat, but I've been to better. We have Graceland, but I can't speak for it because locals don't visit it. We recently got a new Hardee's. Haven't had one here in years. We have two indoor malls and one outlet mall. We used to have the Mall of Memphis, which was huge and had a massive ice rink. They closed it down after too many shootings/stabbings. The Oakcourt mall has yet to be closed down over the shootings/stabbings, but it's lame anyway. One of our three comic book stores is actually neat. That's Memphis in a nutshell.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Arby911

That is neat. If I wasn't already ripping a the seams with gear that would've been nice but one thing I really don't like in this amp is the "Hecho En Mexico". The earlier models were a fiery smoky bunch, but that's maybe referring to the 2012 amps. Anyway, with Mexican made, I think you have to get lucky that it was made from Tuesday to Thursday in the factory, hopefully after 10am and before 3pm, cause Monday and Friday we know they're "muy burracho"
I found a local Mark III short head for $675 I am going to go test tomorrow. Only issue I can see I might have with it is it has no graphic EQ. I don't know what version it is either.

Anything I should be looking for, I haven't played a Mark III with out the EQ
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Haven't tried the Mark 3, but the Mark series are my favorite Mesas for their versatility and tight bass response. Here's a good deal on a MXR 10 band I found on reverb
https://reverb.com/item/1729273-mxr-ten-band-eq-2010-black
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.