Hey guys, I'm doing a little bit of turd polishing on a Ibanez Gio RG. New knobs and hopefully pickup covers, nothing fancy. The pickup covers are a stretch due to shoddy sizing, but i found a pair cheap enough that i won't be crushingly disappointed if they don't fit. My only problem is, when i came to looking up proper installation techniques, i found everyone talks about adjustable bobbins and mine are flush with the pickup, no screws just the metal dots...
So are the covers really even an option? Can i still put them onour well then only work with screw style bobbins?
Quote by gratefulduck
Hey guys, I'm doing a little bit of turd polishing on a Ibanez Gio RG. New knobs and hopefully pickup covers, nothing fancy. The pickup covers are a stretch due to shoddy sizing, but i found a pair cheap enough that i won't be crushingly disappointed if they don't fit. My only problem is, when i came to looking up proper installation techniques, i found everyone talks about adjustable bobbins and mine are flush with the pickup, no screws just the metal dots...
So are the covers really even an option? Can i still put them onour well then only work with screw style bobbins?

probably not. gio pu's are flush mount and you need to solder the covers down to the pu base plate. but, gio pu's don't have adjustable pole pieces so it's a bit pointless. you'll end up with empty holes in the cover.

i might suggest throwing your money into a decent set of pu's -at least the bridge to start.
would The pickups still work if i went ahead with it though? Pointless or not I'm really just dressing it up anyway
you can always go with the no hole style that everyone who really knows their guitar parts would be like "are those emgs!!" I'm suggesting them as they save you the hassle.

guitarheads.net for the no hole kind in america
chinese ebay sellers have them but chances are they'll arrive with a dent or two

in the end think of the tony iommi sg model like this for the pickup covers, black gold and chrome exist, flat black plastic ones is on ebay
Quote by Tallwood13
you can always go with the no hole style that everyone who really knows their guitar parts would be like "are those emgs!!" I'm suggesting them as they save you the hassle.

guitarheads.net for the no hole kind in america
chinese ebay sellers have them but chances are they'll arrive with a dent or two

in the end think of the tony iommi sg model like this for the pickup covers, black gold and chrome exist, flat black plastic ones is on ebay

I was looking for those! I'll check out the site, was having a hell of a time finding them
^yes, if you use metal covers then they have to be soldered in. The holes and spacing are strictly cosmetic for the TS because there are no adjustable poles. Covers with no holes will look the best but if you got pickups covers with holes they wouldn't have any negative impact on tone. The best news is that it doesn't matter if you have traditional (AKA Gibson), F (AKA trem), or 50mm spacing on your covers because if the slug doesn't line up with the hole in the cover it doesn't matter so just about any pickup cover will work.
Not taking any online orders.
I hope you like them. Metal covers are tone killers, IMO. I don't think you need to solder them on if they are there purely for cosmetic reasons*, a bit of poster putty should do it.

*They are typically used to defeat rf noise, and should be earthed for that.
Last edited by Tony Done at Feb 26, 2016,
your better off solder them on. otherwise if they are not a snug fit to begin with they will slip off and touch the strings if your moving around.since they are metal, it may cause some feedback, so thats another reason to solder them on you only need 2 globs on either side to hold it in place, only takes 5 minutes and you dont need to be neat at it as no one will see it. who wants to remove strings just for a 5 minute job that could have been prevented if you just followed the steps in the first place lol

you will NOT notice any difference in sound/tone or anything like that, i thought the same before i installed them, no difference at all in tone, dont listen to anyone who says otherwise. covers are nothing more then a cosmetic thing

btw if you do get the covers with the holes, be carefull which ones you get as there are 2 different hole spacings, normal and F spacing both will fit but the holes wont line up with the pole screws...
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by Tony Done
I hope you like them. Metal covers are tone killers, IMO.

Sort of true. Chrome plated covers filter off a lot of top end and many people will say putting them on your guitar is like putting a heavy blanket over your amp. Not always a bad thing but it's usually considered undesirable. Nickel plated covers are significantly brighter than chrome, and raw nickel covers are brighter still. I frequently use nickel and raw nickel on pickups specifically for the darkening effect.

I don't think you need to solder them on if they are there purely for cosmetic reasons*, a bit of poster putty should do it.

This is wrong. Soldering the cover to the base is important for a couple reasons. The most important, which you actually touched on,is that if you don't solder the covers to the base then instead of removing the rf noise they will do the opposite. The cover acts like an antenna and attracts rf noise and having the cover grounded sends the noise away from your hot signal. Not grounding it means you are attracting noise but not sending it anywhere which results in pickups that are noisier than they would be with no covers. If the cover is not soldered to the base then it will still ground to the basseplate some of the time but it isn't a solid connection so your covers will only be grounded sometimes. As you play part vibrate and if you don't a solid solder joint for the ground it can cause of microphonic feedback, intermittent buzzing, and it can even cause a crackling noise sounds similar to a cable going bad.

[*They are typically used to defeat rf noise, and should be earthed for that.

this bit is 100% correct
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 1, 2016,
^The good feedback comes from the wires in the coil vibrating in sympathy with the sound from the amp. This is not usually the type of feedback you get from a poorly connected cover. The feedback from a poorly connected cover is the sudden wild screeching feedback that damages amps and blows speakers.
^^^ I was thinking more about the ability of the pickups to "hear" body vibrations and the like, rather than feedback effects. The Baggs soundhole pickup, for example, seems to use some kind of moving coil technology, so that it is very sensitive to body sounds, like a piezo. I imagine something similar might go on in electric guitars with some pickups. By pure luck I made a microphone-like magnetic pickup for my resos. - A strat single coil sits under the brass cover plate, with RE buttons above it, which act as a bridge between the pickup and the strings. The output has a lot of acoustic quality in it, and, as a bonus, string-to-string is excellent. I might try something similar with solidbody electrics, magnets attached to the body itself, within range of the pickups.