Hey dude, not sure I understand your video, but I think you may be mixing up your shapes or positions.

The major shape you are doing is fine. The minor shapes do not share the same notes as the major - you are not playing minor scales. More like dorian.

With the proper "minor shapes", are you still running into the same issue?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Infinite401
Please see attached video, I'm having difficulty seeing how shapes for scales move together...if you have any questions to clarify what I'm asking feel free to ask away.

Thanks, Nick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=udbTugcJCA0&feature=youtu.be

Various issues here.

1/ The first scale is D maj pentatonic (B min pentatonic)

2/ The "Minor" scale you're playing is a mix of Aeolian and Dorian.

Main thing to appreciate is that a given shape has more than one musical application/interpretation. Within a shape, all the pitches are at various musical distances (semitones) from each other ... but when applying the shape, the important question is the musical distances from these to some specific pitch.

There are 5 different back-to-back shapes (regions) for the major pentatonic, that cover a 12 fret chunk of the guitar. In your case, that chunk runs from A at the 5th fret to A at the 17th fret.

One of those shapes has the same visual appearance as what you know as the "minor pentatonic".

But your also using 3 note-per-string shapes (your major scale). 3 nps blurs these regions, and makes it harder to know where the scale root is. While you're getting to grips with the fretboard, I suggest you avoid 3 nps, an dthen realise that these 3 nps shapes can be found within any two regions back to back.

I think your use of 3 nps has led you to think of one shape as the "A major scale", and the next 3 nps pattern as the "B minor scale", and so on. Yes, they can be, but they are also different expressions of A major along the neck.

You should be asking yourself how do I find the 5 A major pentatonic shapes alomng the neck, or how do I find the 5 A major scale shapes along the neck. (BTW: the top "edge" of one shape is always the same as the bottom "edge" of its adjacent region.

Any scale, any chord, can similarly be found in 5 regions.

This will take a lot of words to explain this, but I have software where I can take a few screen shots which will let me explain it visually very quickly. It's a pain to get this onto UG, so if you want to send me a message with your email, I'll send you some stuff.
Yeah... First you are playing the D/Bm pentatonic scale. Then you play the A major scale. Then you play the D/Bm pentatonic scale again. The minor scale you play is B minor with an added chromatic note (you have both the major and minor 6th in it).

A major and B minor don't have the same notes in them and shouldn't have the same notes in them. I think where your problem comes from is that you have learned your A major pentatonic scale wrong. Well, you have also learned your B minor scale wrong.

But why the scales have a different "ending" is because of that - they shouldn't even have the same notes in them. Bm has G natural in it, A major has G#.

If you want the relative minor of A major, start from A and move three frets down. That's F# and that's your relative minor.

But yeah, you may want to relearn those scales. I would suggest learning how the scales are constructed. That way you don't need to wonder why a shape doesn't seem to work. You just look at the intervals and see if you got them right.

Major scale is root, major 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, major 6th, major 7th.

Minor scale is root, major 2nd, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 6th, minor 7th (when compared to the major scale, the 3rd, 6th and 7th are minor instead of major).

Major pentatonic is the major scale without the 4th and 7th note.

Minor pentatonic is the minor scale without the 2nd and 6th note.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115