Looking for some help identifying and a ballpark value on this one.

My In-Laws dropped this off today to see if I could get it working with no back story.

From what I can tell it's a 1967 - 1969.

The Serial Number is 208826.

Maybe a replacement neck?

It's sitting in an old Fender Hardshell case as well.

I'll have this for a few days if you guys need additional pictures of anything.

I appreciate the help!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
No logo on the headstock and that nasty body modification mean that if anything besides the hardware is genuine Fender I doubt it's worth very much. The finish doesn't look like anything I've seen on real Fenders, and as far as I know, six saddle ashtray bridges weren't around in the 60s. I could be totally wrong but I'd suspect a partscaster type thing.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
If the neck is genuine IIRC (if its an actual CBS guitar) the serial number should be at the butt of the neck where you would adjust the truss rod. The neck plate serial would probably put it into 1967-1968 BUT neck plates are easy to come across. Bridge is a replacement as well. Bridge should have the Fender writing AND a Pat number under it for 60s Teles as well as it should be a 3 saddle.

That body has been fucking destroyed too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3 at #33852878
No logo on the headstock and that nasty body modification mean that if anything besides the hardware is genuine Fender I doubt it's worth very much. The finish doesn't look like anything I've seen on real Fenders, and as far as I know, six saddle ashtray bridges weren't around in the 60s. I could be totally wrong but I'd suspect a partscaster type thing.

That's a common finish I see on telecasters.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's a common finish I see on telecasters.

I have a blonde Tele I mean that it looks pretty iffy on the closeups of the jack cup and the neck joint I can't say I know a huge amount about how those finishes age, though.

Would be happy to be totally wrong, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3 at #33852897
I have a blonde Tele I mean that it looks pretty iffy on the closeups of the jack cup and the neck joint

Would be happy to be totally wrong, though.

I have a blonde tele too.

Well the finish being "iffy in certain areas" isn't the same as "this isn't a finish I have seen on a Fender before" so sorry for misinterpreting it.

I mean it's possible that it could be a refin but at the same time, it could just be wear (especially if this guitar had a lot of neck swaps done). Pre 68 Fenders IIRC were still done in Nitro so that could explain some of the weirdness. MIND YOU, the thing was hacked to shit so I doubt they did that without a refin.

The finish isn't really a good way to identify it either way. The body still could be genuine despite all the mods. Would need some cavity shots though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well the finish being "iffy in certain areas" isn't the same as "this isn't a finish I have seen on a Fender before" so sorry for misinterpreting it.

It was indeed a poor wording, sorry.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I mean it's possible that it could be a refin but at the same time, it could just be wear (especially if this guitar had a lot of neck swaps done). Pre 68 Fenders IIRC were still done in Nitro so that could explain some of the weirdness. MIND YOU, the thing was hacked to shit so I doubt they did that without a refin.

The finish isn't really a good way to identify it either way. The body still could be genuine despite all the mods. Would need some cavity shots though.

All true to the best of my knowledge, so I may well have been too hasty in my initial judgement.

Another "for what it's worth", the slab maple fretboard neck without the skunk stripe is pretty firmly a '60s feature, I think.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3 at #33852931
It was indeed a poor wording, sorry.

All true to the best of my knowledge, so I may well have been too hasty in my initial judgement.

Another "for what it's worth", the slab maple fretboard neck without the skunk stripe is pretty firmly a '60s feature, I think.

Yeah it is a 60s feature but a somewhat rare one. Entirely maple necks were special order for Fender from 1960ish up until about late 68-69ish IIRC. They fully reintroduced them in late 69-70 to a more traditional 1 piece construction IIRC.

Either way, if its genuine, it'll have the stamp on the butt.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
This looks like a HS wood shop special with vintage hardware. The body is all wrong with the wrong neck joint, wrong edge routing, wrong pick guard spacing and the neck looks like a knockoff. Zero vintage value and only worth is as a poorly made partscaster.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
This looks like a HS wood shop special with vintage hardware. The body is all wrong with the wrong neck joint, wrong edge routing, wrong pick guard spacing and the neck looks like a knockoff. Zero vintage value and only worth is as a poorly made partscaster.

agree. this isn't a fender model at all. it does resemble one of those squier models that combined features of strats and teles that came out a few years back (can't remember model). some of the parts might be vintage but the pickups certainly aren't and those would likely be worth something. i highly doubt the neck is fender.
Do you guys mind giving any specifics on what's off on it? I know literally nothing about Teles. They are pointy enough for my likes.

I need to give the feedback back to folks that know even less than me.

I thought it may have been a double cut Tele
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
And here are a few picks of the switch cavity and wiring hack job.

You can see copper wire - didn't come out too well in the pic.

Truss Rod

Switch Cavity

Capacitor

Switch
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Do you guys mind giving any specifics on what's off on it? I know literally nothing about Teles. They are pointy enough for my likes.

I need to give the feedback back to folks that know even less than me.

I thought it may have been a double cut Tele

well for one, those didn't exist in the 60s or the 70s and 80s for that matter. Pretty sure they only made a DC telecaster in 2015.

What is off was mentioned. The body is either custom or has been modified to crud, looks like from your new pictures the guitar was originally black as well. I don't think the bridge is original for a 60s Telecaster because they didn't have a 6 saddle (it was a 3 saddle) and under the engraved Fender logo should be a Patent No. , the pickguard is cut all wonky and so is the upper body and horn. The neck doesn't have the Fender logo anymore so I think the only way to verify it would be to take it off and check the butt to ID it.

The pots should have date codes on the bottom as well. That capacitor looks like a Luxe you would see in a 60s telecaster but it could possibly be a repro.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
the list of what's right might be shorter. the tuners appear to be fender. the bridge plate is fender but those saddles aren't 60s. the body isn't fender. the neck is really suspect. the truss rod adjust is correct for older model fenders but other things suggest it's not a fender neck. the neck pickup is totally wrong for a tele. guitar just seems to be a hodge podge of parts put together rather sloppy.
Quote by monwobobbo
the list of what's right might be shorter. the tuners appear to be fender. the bridge plate is fender but those saddles aren't 60s. the body isn't fender. the neck is really suspect. the truss rod adjust is correct for older model fenders but other things suggest it's not a fender neck. the neck pickup is totally wrong for a tele. guitar just seems to be a hodge podge of parts put together rather sloppy.

The bridge looks like an aged MIM or 90s California bridge. Fender logo is in the right place for that and they were 6 saddle. Looks like you can still buy a similar style bridge new as well.

The neck pickup is for sure funky. Might be a strat one or something.

Either way that last line is probably spot on. Its a hodge podge of parts and its done super sloppy
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
This is a pretty good guide to vintage Fender guitars so you have an idea what to look for:
http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html#specs

Peruse their entire site for useful info for collectors and players of vintage instruments.

I supect some of the hardware on this guitar may be vintage and some appears to be relic'd to appear vintage. One thing you never find is a vintage guitar with all this aged, non-period correct hardware full of dings, scratches, and corrosion, but the neck and body look virtually untouched. Even a refinish will have scratches and dings under the finish or wood repairs showing but this guitar neck looks un-played and the body is clearly not Fender production quality.

It's a rough HS woodshop partscaster.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
What you have there is, sadly, a bunch of spare parts. The finish on the neck doesn't look right, the finish on the body DEFINITELY doesn't look right. A neckplate does not a telecaster make.

Take the neck off. You'll probably find that the stamps on the neck heel and the heel of the body are absent or totally wrong.

An old control plate and tuners doesn't make profit, unfortunately.
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let them know that they have a good player that should be enjoyed. If it is a Fender, the modifications have stripped all vintage value from the guitar.

Again I appreciate it!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims