Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar for more than 17 years now and I've never been concerned about guitar tech and a lot more stuff. I was used to just plug the guitar and start playing, learning tabs and not a lot of tech stuff. Nonetheless, nowadays I want to learn and be awared about my guitar since I made a decent investment on a RGIT20FE Ibanez guitar and I'm taking care of it as if it was my child.

I usually play high distorted genres such as djent, deathcore, death metal, grindcore and tune in between Drop A - Drop C tunning. I love 6 strings guitars, I'm not so much into 7 or 8 strings guitars. Recently I decided to buy some .12 gauge strings (DDT-12) and I've been reading reviews and stuff and everyone always take into account the scale of the neck, that's the reason I'm here, I don't know what is it about. According to Ibanez site, my guitar has a 648mm/25.5" Scale but still I don't understand what does it have to do with the strings gauge. Can someone explain me why is it important?

Thanks!
When people say things like that, it's because they are trying to replicate the tension of the strings in regular tuning when they downtune. The scale of the neck matters because different measurements will provide different tension so a guitar with a 24 3/4" scale neck and 10s will not feel the same as a guitar with a 25.5" scale neck with 10s. Because the scale lengths are different, it requires either more or less turns to get the guitars in a similar pitch so the actual slackness of the string will vary between gauges and scale lengths. So for instance, to have your guitar feeling like it does in standard tuning with 10s in a 24 3/4" scale in a lower C tuning, you would have to bump your gauge up to 12s to get a similar feel kind of deal (those numbers might be off). Otherwise, if you kept the 10s and down-tuned, you might find the strings are too loose to play comfortably.

I probably messed something up there, but I think that is the gist of it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
When people say things like that, it's because they are trying to replicate the tension of the strings in regular tuning when they downtune. The scale of the neck matters because different measurements will provide different tension so a guitar with a 24 3/4" scale neck and 10s will not feel the same as a guitar with a 25.5" scale neck with 10s. Because the scale lengths are different, it requires either more or less turns to get the guitars in a similar pitch so the actual slackness of the string will vary between gauges and scale lengths. So for instance, to have your guitar feeling like it does in standard tuning with 10s in a 24 3/4" scale in a lower C tuning, you would have to bump your gauge up to 12s to get a similar feel kind of deal (those numbers might be off). Otherwise, if you kept the 10s and down-tuned, you might find the strings are too loose to play comfortably.

I probably messed something up there, but I think that is the gist of it.

Wow, great explanation thank you.