On my high e string;

6th fret is a# -10 cent, 7th fret is b -20 cent.
Even to a degree that 17th fret is now a g# and 18th is a !!

Saddle is all the way down. Strings are 3 months old 9-46 nickel Dunlop.
What can be the problem? Thank you guys.

EDIT: CHANGED THE STRINGS: PROBLEM IS GONE. IT IS REALLY AMAZING HOW A STRING CAN GO THAT BAD IN 3 MONTHS.
Last edited by Aeternal at Feb 27, 2016,
Replace your strings.

I'd also be sure that none of the frets on the fretboard are so high that it's causing neighbouring fret to be fretted rather than the one that's meant to be fretted.

If that's not the problem and the problem only persists on those frets and those frets only, and you have restrung the guitar, then there's not much else you can do.

You may also need to accept that to some extent, no guitar can perfectly intonate, as all guitars require a certain amount of string height to be playable. Which inherently affects intonation the higher the action is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by Aeternal
On my high e string;

6th fret is a# -10 cent, 7th fret is b -20 cent.
Even to a degree that 17th fret is now a g# and 18th is a !!

Saddle is all the way down. Strings are 3 months old 9-46 nickel Dunlop.
What can be the problem? Thank you guys.

given one small picture, an ibanez gio? the neck is a bolt on, make sure the screws are tight and the neck isn't loose. then level and balance that trem. then set the intonation by moving the saddles forward or backward as needed. i can see that you still have fore and aft room for adjustment.

saddle height up or down sets your action and unless it is very high, this isn't going to effect intonation by as much as you are describing.

tune correctly, do this stuff and report back. fresh but broken in strings couldn't hurt.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Replace your strings.

I'd also be sure that none of the frets on the fretboard are so high that it's causing neighbouring fret to be fretted rather than the one that's meant to be fretted.

If that's not the problem and the problem only persists on those frets and those frets only, and you have restrung the guitar, then there's not much else you can do.

You may also need to accept that to some extent, no guitar can perfectly intonate, as all guitars require a certain amount of string height to be playable. Which inherently affects intonation the higher the action is.

apart from the first 5 one, all the frets are effected (they go increasingly flatter), also on the b string but not much as the high e.
Quote by Aeternal
apart from the first 5 one, all the frets are effected (they go increasingly flatter), also on the b string but not much as the high e.

How have you intonated the guitar?

If you play the 12th fret, it should be perfectly in tune if you've adjusted the intonation correctly. If it isn't, then you haven't.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How have you intonated the guitar?

If you play the 12th fret, it should be perfectly in tune if you've adjusted the intonation correctly. If it isn't, then you haven't.

can't intonate. 12th fret is d# (fretted) and moving the saddle all the way back or forward only changes about 10 cent. it doesn't help.
Last edited by Aeternal at Feb 25, 2016,
Quote by Aeternal
can't intonate. 12th fret is d# (fretted) and moving the saddle all the way back or forward only changes about 10 cent. it doesn't help.

Have you replaced the strings yet?
I think the real cause of your problem is that the bridge was installed too far back on the guitar relative to the neck for the guitar to ever intonate right. Being an entire semitone flat at the 12th fret suggests that something is seriously wrong with the guitar.

One last thing to try is to experiment with heavier gauges of strings, something like 11-48. Generally, the heavier the gauge of strings that you use, the further back the saddles move to achieve the correct intonation point. It looks to me from the pic that the saddles have been moved all the way forwards, so moving the saddles back as far as you possibly can is what you want.

If that doesn't work either, and nothing else is wrong with the guitar such as the bridge not being level etc. then I think you're shit out of luck. Repositioning a bridge on a guitar equipped with a tremolo is a costly repair job, probably costing more than the guitar itself in this case.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by DanyFS
Have you replaced the strings yet?

will do that first thing tomorrow. neck bolts are really tight btw.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think the real cause of your problem is that the bridge was installed too far back on the guitar relative to the neck for the guitar to ever intonate right. Being an entire semitone flat at the 12th fret suggests that something is seriously wrong with the guitar.

One last thing to try is to experiment with heavier gauges of strings, something like 11-48. Generally, the heavier the gauge of strings that you use, the further back the saddles move to achieve the correct intonation point. It looks to me from the pic that the saddles have been moved all the way forwards, so moving the saddles back as far as you possibly can is what you want.

If that doesn't work either, and nothing else is wrong with the guitar such as the bridge not being level etc. then I think you're shit out of luck. Repositioning a bridge on a guitar equipped with a tremolo is a costly repair job, probably costing more than the guitar itself in this case.

First of all thank you for the help. Am I not supposed to move the saddles towards the headstock if the 12th fret is flat(like in my case). I will try 10-46 tomorrow.
Quote by Aeternal
First of all thank you for the help. Am I not supposed to move the saddles towards the headstock if the 12th fret is flat(like in my case).

No, you are right.

I don't think 10-46 is going to be enough of a jump in gauge to help you.

I'd try 11's, or maybe even 12's.

It sucks to play with 12's in E standard, but I'd rather have my guitar be in tune.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Aeternal
will do that first thing tomorrow. neck bolts are really tight btw.

Rule number one when intonating a guitar is always use fresh strings!

Other than that, follow the good advice given by DeepBlue.
is that a GSA60BK?
just gotta ask, but is this the first time for this problem? has it always been like this? you didn't notice when you bought it? are you new to guitars? or?....
something seems wrong here.
I think you need a new amp.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It sucks to play with 12's in E standard, but I'd rather have my guitar be in tune.

You get used to it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
ok so i saved the op's pic and blew up the crap out of it. it seems that the knife edges of your trem might not be sitting in the correct spots on the studs. the base plate doesn't appear to be parallel to the pu bezel nor the pu itself esp the base side.

could be an optical illusion on my behalf but check it. were this the case your intonation would def be outta whack.
Quote by ad_works
ok so i saved the op's pic and blew up the crap out of it. it seems that the knife edges of your trem might not be sitting in the correct spots on the studs. the base plate doesn't appear to be parallel to the pu bezel nor the pu itself.

could be an optical illusion on my behalf but check it. were this the case your intonation would def be outta whack.

I think you may be right, the trem doesn't look parallel to the pickup ring to me either.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by ad_works
is that a GSA60BK?
just gotta ask, but is this the first time for this problem? has it always been like this? you didn't notice when you bought it? are you new to guitars? or?....
something seems wrong here.

Ibanez GRG170dx and yeah unfortunately, i was new to the guitar when i bought it. Taking pictures of it from different angles right now.

Probably it was always there and I didn't notice.

I can confirm that the high e string side of the bridge is 2-3 millimeters closer to the pickup ring than the low e side.
Last edited by Aeternal at Feb 25, 2016,
The high e saddle is very low as you can see. Can the problem be related to that? Or is that how it should supposed to be.
Quote by Aeternal
The high e saddle is very low as you can see. Can the problem be related to that? Or is that how it should supposed to be.

the saddle seated low isn't the problem. the crooked trem probably is. i can see that your treble e saddle is too far back because the trem is sitting at an angle. sort that out first.

dwnld the manual from ibanez. it'll get you started on set up:

ibanez manual link
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 26, 2016,
I changed the strings and bam the intonation problem is gone. All the strings are intonated. They just need little tweaks. One Question though, the back of the tremolo was seated on the guitar, i couldnt make the notes sharper with tremolo. But now the back stand up there is gap between the case and tremolo. I can both push and pull the tremolo bar. Is that normal?

It is fat-10 tremolo i think.
Last edited by Aeternal at Feb 26, 2016,