Back story- I picked up a used Ibanez Prestige for a pretty decent price. The pickups have been replaced by the previous owner and, to my ear, sound off. The neck pickup is very bassy when playing clean blues type stuff and the bridge pickup sounds just like a 80s shred guitar- full of treble. Almost screechy. They are Dimarzio pickups but I forget which ones they are.

My playing style is general hard rock, classic metal and blues. From classic blues to Metallica, Ozzy, Slayer, and plenty of 80's-90's era rock and metal.

Looking to replace the pickups. These look like a pretty good match for my playing style at a pretty reasonable price. What is everyone's thought on this set, or another?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan/Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-Black-1274034493585.gc?source=4GOA5EIBA&CAWELAID=420003230004021248&gclid=CJ6to4rqk8sCFQcLaQodOdUF1A#productDetail
Last edited by Jeffh40 at Feb 26, 2016,
What amp do you have?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
XXX 212

It is worth noting that my other guitars don't sound bad at all through this amp playing all various types of music.
So is it the fact there's too much treble that's an issue? If so I'd suggest a warmer pickup like a Custom Custom. Don't worry about the slightly lower output, that amp has more than enough gain to comp for it,
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
So is it the fact there's too much treble that's an issue?

In the bridge pickup it is, in the neck it is too bassy.

I just got home and popped the pickups out to see what they were.

Dimarzio DP 151 in the bridge and 155 in the neck. After a little reading on them, it Seems like these pickups might be better suited to be swapped positions than replaced. Anyone have experience with these?
i like the tone zone in the bridge. i am not a huge fan of the PAF in the neck. as far as my preferences regarding pickups in my prestiges, that i really like the liquifire in the neck position. the air norton is OK too, but the liquifire is a little more sweet.

i am not really a fan of the JB, however that is just me, as tons of people do like them. the jazz is pretty nice, but i have very little experience with them compared to other pickups.

super distortions are awesome for 80's rock metal though (but that doesn't solve your issue regarding the neck pickup).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I might look at the Custom for the bridge. The JB is great, but not as tight as the Custom- the JB does 80s hard rock really well, but the Custom does 90s and metal better. For the neck, I'd look at something like the Alnico II Pro, which has a more bluesy sound than the Jazz. The Jazz is good for very open, clean, and tight distorted sounds, but lacks the warmth for blues.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I have a custom (Sh-5) in my LP and love it. I have had a JB in a couple of guitars before, but honestly prefer the Custom.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
i love the distortion in my tele.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I have the JB/Jazz set in my Jackson Kelly, which is an alder body. They're great pickups, pretty versatile. The JB has been used by players in many different genres, and the Jazz is also a great tone both clean (hence the name) and distorted. Some people have found that the JB requires a bit of pole piece adjustment to sound its best; I agree but YMMV. How they'll compare to the PUs in your guitar now or to some of those mentioned by others here, I don't know, but I know it's not hard to get a good sound out of them.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Thanks for the input guys. After some more reading, it seems to me that I would like the pickups in the guitar as long as they were swapped positions.

That was tonight's job. After the swap, DP 155 in the bridge and DP 151 in the neck.

Still working on setting it back up but so far, the bridge pickup seems to be much better. No more excessive treble and the little I played on the neck sounds better without the booming bass.

Almost sounds to me like the person who put them in the guitar got them in the wrong spot...
Quote by Jeffh40
In the bridge pickup it is, in the neck it is too bassy.

I just got home and popped the pickups out to see what they were.

Dimarzio DP 151 in the bridge and 155 in the neck. After a little reading on them, it Seems like these pickups might be better suited to be swapped positions than replaced. Anyone have experience with these?

yeah swap them, there's your problem

that being said I like the paf pro in the bridge- but with another paf pro in the neck or even something lower in output, not with a TZ in the neck!

EDIT: ah you've done it already, good call
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?