Technophile
19 79%
Luddite
5 21%
Voters: 24.
Page 1 of 3
they're so mean to that robot
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Jackintehbox
explain to me the purpose of making a robot that's human shaped.

sacrificing efficiency for aesthetic anthropomorphism
Si
My job is being useless and pontificating can a robot do that?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
So when will I get to have sex with one?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by BladeSlinger

Yeah man no wonder they all want to kill us.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by stratkat
What's stopping you from doing it now?

There aren't any around?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
With my ability to destroy technology I wish the robots luck. I'll have them riddled with strange errors and worn down in a week.
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by Neo Evil11
So when will I get to have sex with one?

Bloop
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Jackintehbox

Something to do with being bipedal maybe
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
so scary man - the way it chases around that box on the floor?

our kids are going to see policemen replaced by robots
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
Thank god I studied Electronics in college. I'll still have employment opportunities fixing these bad boys. #GoodbyeUnskilledLabor
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Cardbored
Something to do with being bipedal maybe

No there are more efficient and better ways a robot can get around. As I explained already it's to do with aesthetic anthropomorphism. We attribute human characteristics and to some extent empathy on account of it looking human like.

It's why these jokes work...
Quote by BladeSlinger
Quote by TheChaz
basically fuck that guy with the hockey stick.

...because it's human form invokes empathy.
Si
Being bipedal means it can carry stuff and move them places. It's not just about getting around.

Also the one with the dog was just as sad
Quote by DisarmGoliath
A forklift can carry stuff and move it places more efficiently with wheels than with bipedal legs. This was a demonstration in inefficiency if their goal was to build a robot that could carry and move things places.
Si
Just think though, when the robot uprising occurs and all biological life is dead, the robots will have pet robot dogs to keep them company, and robot cattle to domesticate and the whole cycle will start anew
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Jokes aside though, forklifts can't drive through snowy forests. Mostly though these humanoid robots are supposed to capture attention. When was the last time you had news stories about assembly robots and shiz. they're boring these are cool
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
No a standard forklift probably couldn't drive through snowy fields. But it would be easier to enable a forklift kind of robot to do that through modification than building a bipedal robot and it would be far more efficient...it is less likely to be knocked over, if it powers down it won't fall over etc.

But yeah the humanoid form is something that we find more engaging and more interesting... that was kind of my point.
Si
Quote by Gatecrasher53 at #33853772
Jokes aside though, forklifts can't drive through snowy forests. Mostly though these humanoid robots are supposed to capture attention. When was the last time you had news stories about assembly robots and shiz. they're boring these are cool

which is why you give it 8 legs like a spider for maximum stability over terrain

However these things are still not close to getting my job, despite what people might think about my job
Quote by 20Tigers
No a standard forklift probably couldn't drive through snowy fields. But it would be easier to enable a forklift kind of robot to do that through modification than building a bipedal robot and it would be far more efficient...it is less likely to be knocked over, if it powers down it won't fall over etc.

But yeah the humanoid form is something that we find more engaging and more interesting... that was kind of my point.

Only at tasks that require a forklift, though.

The thing about a bipedal robot is that they'd integrate into current human-oriented work environments more easily, so you could persuade companies to take on one or two at a time, and gradually take over the world that way.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Pastafarian96 at #33853806
nope, I fix pianos, or will soon
Nice, regular pianos
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Only at tasks that require a forklift, though.

The thing about a bipedal robot is that they'd integrate into current human-oriented work environments more easily, so you could persuade companies to take on one or two at a time, and gradually take over the world that way.
What do you mean "could persuade companies to take on one or two at a time"? It's not a future possibility it already happens.

Companies already take on robots and often as many as they can. Perhaps you just don't notice because they're NOT humanoid robots but robots that were purpose built to get a job done as efficiently and cost effectively as possible and that DON'T look human.

In fact making them humanoid would just make it more painfully obvious to the workforce that is being replaced and be more likely to incite hatred towards the robots and the people that own the robots. (again a robot in humanoid form is better at evoking human emotional responses toward it - on account of our anthropomorphic instinct)

Not looking human is already making it more easy for them to integrate into our society and gradually take over the world

-----
I remember seeing something recently about how we are close to developing "autonomous weapons". Weapons that are not only unmanned (drones etc) but that can assess threats and make engage/kill decisions autonomously without someone needing to press a button.
Si
Page 1 of 3