Currently I'm playing with a Spider 4 15 watt (i know its shit). I'm looking for something versatile.

I want something I can jam Pink Floyd, QOTSA, Pantera, Tool, etc. without breaking the bank.

My question is: Is there a good budget amp (lets say $500) or should I invest in a multi effects and a cheaper amp with a decent clean?
Maybe look for a second hand Spider Valve or new Peavey Vyper, Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube or Fender Mustang. They are all versatile amps with effects and amp models built in. I think all have separate foot controllers that you can pick up. I'd look for an SV or Cube personally.

Is this for just bedroom use or are you looking to gig? All above are fine for the bedroom use but you'd have to get the beefier versions if you want to gig with them. The SV though is easily loud enough for gigs.

For $500 if you've got your heart set on an amp and separate effects then building a pedal board can get expensive but you should be able to pick up a Zoom multi effects. I hear good things about them on the forum. Or possibly a second hand Boss GT or Line 6 multi effects failing that.

Good luck!
Last edited by Goochster at Feb 26, 2016,
Quote by Goochster
Maybe look for a second hand Spider Valve or new Peavey Vyper, Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube or Fender Mustang. They are all versatile amps with effects and amp models built in. I think all have separate foot controllers that you can pick up. I'd look for an SV or Cube personally.

Is this for just bedroom use or are you looking to gig? All above are fine for the bedroom use but you'd have to get the beefier versions if you want to gig with them. The SV though is easily loud enough for gigs.

For $500 if you've got your heart set on an amp and separate effects then building a pedal board can get expensive but you should be able to pick up a Zoom multi effects. I hear good things about them on the forum. Or possibly a second hand Boss GT or Line 6 multi effects failing that.

Good luck!

+1 to Zoom (either G3 or G5) for a multi effects recommendation, but it is dependent on the choice of amp.

The amps mentioned are all modellers, therefore they have the effects you'll need built in and the effects unit won't be required. I'd recommend any of them (although I have no experience with the Cube).

If however, you were to find a decent tube amp to work with, a Zoom multi effects unit would be a great addition to it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Look into the new VOX Analog Valve Series. They should have plenty of effects and amp sims for you. There are great amps in the $500 USD range but whether or not they can do multiple sounds easily is the question.
i wouldn't buy a modeling amp if you are planning on a processor.

get a DSL40c, XXX/JSX, mayybe a VK*, etc.

*don't pay more than $200 for the VK 112 combo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I had a vypyr 30 but had to sell it for bills...fuckin life man..

If I can pull off a decent metal tone and still get the pretty clean of Floyd and the inbetween trippy dirtiness of QOTSA ill be happy. Its for bedroom jamming. The problem I had with the vypyr was I wasnt impressed with the metal tones. I felt like it lacked punch but I bought it used so it may of been more of a speaker issue (?)

Thats why I was thinking of getting kinda of a beefy cheap amp with a decent multi. Im still fairly new to all the tech talk as far as what it actually sounds like so im just looking for good advice ;D
I would put my money on a used hd500x I find it a lot better for Home use with monitors and sounds great to me , The only down side is that clean sounds don't sounds as good as a real amp but the rest is on par - rock . metal -
Quote by dazzzer30
I would put my money on a used hd500x I find it a lot better for Home use with monitors and sounds great to me , The only down side is that clean sounds don't sounds as good as a real amp but the rest is on par - rock . metal -

+1 the POD HD is a nice unit. pair it with active monitors and you have a nice home setup.

also, if you are gigging you could put it right to the board.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
So basically just hook up the 500 and buy a couple decent speakers and im golden? Interesting..never really heard of that before
Quote by ImDesigner
So basically just hook up the 500 and buy a couple decent speakers and im golden? Interesting..never really heard of that before

powered speakers. you want something with a relatively flat response.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!