Looking to buy a mic since I'm signing and my buddy had me sing through a cheap akg I think that's the name.
Looking for a good mic.
Not to expensive. Used.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
SM58 is the obvious suggestion.

What do you mean by "not too expensive"?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Shure SM58 has been the standard PA microphone for as long as I can remember and I have been playing gigs for 40 years. Not only does it sound great but it's almost indestructible. I still have an SM58 that I bought in 1976 and it works great. I have replaced the windscreen/ball on it numerous times but that's just for cosmetic purposes and only $10-15 dollars. If the $100-120 price for the SM58 is a bit high for you get the Shure PG58. It's half the price but not quite as good tone wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95U7wxPQZdE

BEWARE! Don't buy Shure mics on Ebay. They are almost always fakes made in China and sound awful. They look perfect and come in legit looking boxes with all the extra material (warranty cards, carry pouch, mic collar etc.) but they are very bad microphones. My friend bought a Shure 87a and it isn't even a condenser mic and sounds terrible.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 26, 2016,
I like the Sennheiser e609

Quote by Rickholly74
BEWARE! Don't buy Shure mics on Ebay. They are almost always fakes made in China and sound awful. They look perfect and come in legit looking boxes with all the extra material (warranty cards, carry pouch, mic collar etc.) but they are very bad microphones. My friend bought a Beta 58 and it isn't even a condenser mic and sounds terrible.
58 Betas aren't condenser mikes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 26, 2016,
Thanks I corrected that. I meant the 87A. Must be having a flashback.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I went with a 57 when I was looking for an inexpensive mike. I'm not sure if the 58 works well for instruments, but the 57 does instruments and vocals as well in a pinch. It just doesn't pick up as easily for the vocals, but it still sounds pretty good.
sm58. battle proven. if you go used, disinfect the thing.

the e609 is a instrument cab mic and the op wants to sing.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 26, 2016,
Oh yeah. Sorry, not used to people asking about vocals mikes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Shure 57.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Check out right hook mics. I've been using one for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it. Plus they look sharp. Vintage style mics.
I like the Beta 58A better than the 57 but the 57 is pretty much THE standard.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Sure SM58 is the industry standard. I have 6 of them and some of them are from the late 70's and still work like new about 1/2 were bought used from GC online and I have had no issues.

the SM57 and the SM58 use the exact same diaphragm it is just positioned further back in the casing on the 57 which helps it do high SPL's like you get from close micing instruments a bit better than the 58, but the 58 will mic instruments just fine in a normal situation.

I also use Sennheiser, AKG and Blue mic's they all make good ranges and bad ranges.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate