Hello. I currently own a 2010 Les Paul Studio, and for quite some time I've considered getting a 7-string guitar as many of the stuff I play or want to write use it; a 24 frets neck is also pretty important (the LP has 22).

I want something that's good for the money; when I searched a bit about these before, I found mostly Ibanez options if I recall, but I have this issue: I'm not sure how many 7-string models are available in my country (Israel), and usually what is available is very expensive in comparison to other places.

I want to hear what is considered a good buy for such a guitar, and then I'll consider how to get my hand onto one if a local option is not available.

Thanks in advance.
It all depends on your budget.
Ibanez are generally a good bang for the buck : thin necks, easy access to the higher frets and their fretjobs are decent even on low end models. You might want to swap the pickups out, but other than that, it's a good start.
I personnaly have two schecters, that I enjoy quite a lot : they're on the heavier/chunkier side and resonate and feel quite beautifully. Necks are also pretty fat, and bolt-ons demand some getting used to.
I will second the budget and ibanez. They are good intros to 7 string to determine whether you really want one without breaking the bank.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Tell us your budget then we can recommend which Ibanez to get
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Ibanez Universe.

/thread

In all seriousness, it depends on what's available to you in Israel. What's the used guitar market like over there?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I don't really look to spend more than (the equivalent of) $1,000, so I won't have to add too much extra money considering I'll probably sell the Les Paul.

Through a quick Google search I've found a single 7-string Ibanez model being sold at a local store - the RGIX27FESM, and its asking price is actually pretty close to the $899 one I saw on American websites. But, I don't know whether it's any good.

I then found a store listing all sorts of Schecter 7-string's, but I obviously don't have a specific model in mind as of yet; I'm also not sure I like the fact that the Schecters were said to have fat necks. How do they compare with the Les Paul?

And regarding the used market - I've searched for those in the past, didn't manage to find anything. I could probably find a couple of those if I'll know where to look, but I think that the 7-string market is not strong enough here to find many players reselling theirs.
Quote by Cranbehry
It all depends on your budget.

And where you live. A whole lot of gear that's available in the US is not, elsewhere.
Ugh, here's an example of what I've termed as "very expensive in comparison to other places": I've found a store that sells the ESP E-II Eclipse-7 Black Satin; on Amazon it's sold for $1,399. At the Israeli store it goes for about $2,680.
Sooo...100% markup? Insert bigoted sterotype joke here.

What are some of the bigger brands available in Israel? Or the larger instrument retailers?

If you can tell us which 7-strings are available, we can probably help you sort them by best deal for your money.

Also, have you looked at any of your local luthiers? There may not be many, but with prices like that on the ESP, they may be competitively priced.

As for the used market, don't rule out eBay and Reverb.com. There are many sellers who will ship to Israel, so your ma concern would be the shipping costs & any applicable taxes. I bet that won't double the price on anything worth buying.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 27, 2016,
If you can get a USED Washburn WG587, 7-string that is well made and plays well. a good brand which is overlooked or under the radar, made in China (I was reluctant to buy at first but she feels great, a sleeper that can give other brand a good run for their money) beginner to intermediate level. It doesn't cost you more than $150.. So you can always get better pickups to customize tone to your liking and still won't cost you more than $500 after all is done.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I mentioned above the two models (from Ibanez and ESP) I've found at two different stores; here is the list of guitars available at that store which sells mostly Schecters (those with the gray button are out of stock):

The prices are in Shekels; you can divide them by about 3.9 to get the price in USD.
I would recommend either the Ibanez RGIX27FESM or if you can wait for the PRS SE to come back in stock, that one.

I have always found Shecters a bit "meh"
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Might not be an obvious choice but you could maybe try a Chapman ML7 . Never tried Chapman guitars myself but they seem to have a few fans. They're available in 2 flavours both at £549 GBP. Andertons ship worldwide.
Quote by Killing Hand
Might not be an obvious choice but you could maybe try a Chapman ML7 . Never tried Chapman guitars myself but they seem to have a few fans. They're available in 2 flavours both at £549 GBP. Andertons ship worldwide.

Chapmans are apparently great guitars for the money, haven't managed to play one myself yet but I have been planning to go on a trip down to Guildford and into Anderton's at some point to give them a go.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
I don't know if I'll go with a Chapman. I've read about his guitars recently and I wasn't sure they seem like a safe bet.

Thing is, I've listened to a couple of demonstrations of the PRS, and while the cleans sounded rather good, all of these showcased a very muddy distortion tone except for the one which had the stock pickups switched.

The Schecters? I'm still not sure about these, as what I've seen seemed to have the same problem (with their stock pickups at least).

The other issue is that I'd also prefer the guitar to have a vibrato bridge, but not a Floyd Rose (I'm actually not familiar with the more subtle ones and how well they keep in tune, but I'm not looking for a dive-bombing floating bridge with the cumbersome double locking retrofitting). The only ones other other than the FR Schecters with a vibrato bridge in that list are the Music Mans, the type of which I don't know and the cost of these guitars is double or more than I'm looking to spend.
What do you guys say about the Ibanez RG7620? There's this eBay seller from Japan that keeps coming up in my search and they have this model; what I've read about it tout it as really great, but I'm not sure whether this price is good. It doesn't state a year, but this model is said to has been in production from 1998 to 2002.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RG7-620-Black-7-string-Used-Electric-Guitar-w-SoftCase-/141913258212?nav=SEARCH

The shipment is stated to be another $71 for me (I don't know why different guitars from the same area show extremely different shipping charges, but $71 seems fine in comparison to other numbers which have come up), but nothing is stated under this one for customs.

The item description seems to has been Google Translated, but I presume it states it's in good condition.