Page 1 of 2
Hello,

I'm looking for something different than a fender strat or gibson les paul. I noticed the duesenberg starplayer tv en really love it. It's a semi hollow which is something different and it has a p90 with humbucker, and it soudns great.

I own a les paul and strat, and don't want to make any rash decisions which I always do when buying a guitar. Luckily it came out really well both times, but I don't want to end up with a similar sounding/feeling guitar.

What are your opinions on duesenberg (starplayer tv) guitars?
I have not played one but I think they look awesome the appear to be well crafted and Joe Walsh plays them that's a good enough endorsement for me, I want the Outlaw with the alligator texture on the top that thing is awesome.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Duesenberg guitars are quite nice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if you are looking for something a 'bit' different that is a little obscure, danny is who you need to talk to... lol. he has like 20 odd some guitars, i have 20 or so too, and we only have one brand overlapping and the guitars are washburns but they very different IIRC.* i am the traditional gibson/fender/ibanez kind of guy, and danny is the master of obscure, not just obscure, nice obscure. i am the more traditional.

*on a side note, damn its hard to get rid of a washburn these days i have been trying on and off for a year or so... haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Aww...yer makin' me blush!

But yeah, the universe of "different" but still quality guitars is pretty amazing head days. Duesenbergs are definitely quality guitars, but are not all that "different". They kind of remind me of slightly tricked-out high-end Gretsches & Gibsons.

What is your budget?
How different do you want?
Are you looking for North American/MIJ/European etc. handmades, or are better MiK production also on your radar?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

this isn't way out there, but there is a MIJ tele (double bound hard v profile neck) at my church. it has a p90 in the neck and a bigsby. brilliant guitar. it sounds sooo yummy, or maybe that is just the matchless and fralin p90 (lolzz).

it is classic but just a little tweaked to some badassery. and its not a LP or a strat. everybody needs a tele.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Good point- a well made but otherwise mainstream axe can indeed be tweaked into stratospheric awesomeness with the right electronics or hardware changes.

Duesenburg looks sweet ..... have you thought of calling them and asking if it sounds like what you all ready have ??..... and if it does ask what they got that's different , never had the chance to play one but would love too
Here's a Duesenberg in action.
https://vk.com/video-28150569_168750593

Buy one, and you'll be in interesting company, to be sure.
http://duesenbergusa.com/artist/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 27, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
danny is the master of obscure,

Took the woids right outa my mouf.
I've played a lot of these. I think the markup on them is huge. If you have something specific in mind there might be much better options.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Like there's not a big markup on Gibsons?

Still, you have a point. Duesenbergs are probably more consistently better made than Gibsons, and possibly comparable Gretsches (though not by as much, I'd bet).

But a PRS or Carvin in the same price range would be an even better buy in certain ways, but won't have that same...vibe.

Hmmm...a D'Angelico, maybe?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Like there's not a big markup on Gibsons?

Still, you have a point. Duesenbergs are probably more consistently better made than Gibsons, and possibly comparable Gretsches (though not by as much, I'd bet).

But a PRS or Carvin in the same price range would be an even better buy in certain ways, but won't have that same...vibe.

Hmmm...a D'Angelico, maybe?

so the issue is that if you pay 3k for a gibson or a fender you are 99 percent guaranteed that you are getting an instrument made and finished in america.

Duesenbergs are made in Korea

from the wikipedia

Duesenbergs combine Korean-made woodwork with German assembly, while components come from various Far Eastern and German Sources.[7]

If this doesn't matter to you then go right ahead an buy one. But it is something that they are not very forthright with on their website.
Quote by AcousticMirror
so the issue is that if you pay 3k for a gibson or a fender you are 99 percent guaranteed that you are getting an instrument made and finished in america.

from the wikipedia

Duesenbergs combine Korean-made woodwork with German assembly, while components come from various Far Eastern and German Sources.[7]

If this doesn't matter to you then go right ahead an buy one. But it is something that they are not very forthright with on their website.

FWIW, my PRS SE custom could probably be described as having Korean-made woodwork, and IMO, it's better - in terms of fit & finish - than my 60's tribute Gibson(made and finished in America), which cost more than the PRS.

They do sound different, though, and not in a bad way

As for OP, IIRC for roughly the same price a thinline Tele with P90's could be an option, and putting a Bigsby on shouldn't bump the cost too high. Not an exact equivalent spec, but something to look at.
Don't get too nitpicky about where the parts were made. Dig deeply enough, and you'll probably find a lot of even high end guitars have parts not made at the company HQ.

Part of the issue in the Gibson raid fiasco was that there was a discrepancy between whether the ebony they imported for fingerboards was finished woodwork or blanks, which have different import/export regs they must conform to.

Long story short, if you see a post-raid Gibson (or any other brand) guitar made with fingerboards made from ebony sourced from India or Madagascar, those parts had to be made in those countries by law to be legally exported. IOW, not 100% made in the USA.

Now, that's an extreme example, but the core point is that many guitars "made in _______" will include at least some parts manufactured in other countries. Some- but not all- make that VERY clear.

And seeing as how Duesenbergs don't leave Korea as functional instruments- indeed, they can't, since not all of the parts are available there- I wouldn't say they're "made in Korea." Like the wiki said, they're made by Germans (probably in Germany) using parts sourced from other countries.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Don't get too nitpicky about where the parts were made. Dig deeply enough, and you'll probably find a lot of even high end guitars have parts not made at the company HQ.

Part of the issue in the Gibson raid fiasco was that there was a discrepancy between whether the ebony they imported for fingerboards was finished woodwork or blanks, which have different import/export regs they must conform to.

Long story short, if you see a post-raid Gibson (or any other brand) guitar made with fingerboards made from ebony sourced from India or Madagascar, those parts had to be made in those countries by law to be legally exported. IOW, not 100% made in the USA.

Now, that's an extreme example, but the core point is that many guitars "made in _______" will include at least some parts manufactured in other countries. Some- but not all- make that VERY clear.

And seeing as how Duesenbergs don't leave Korea as functional instruments- indeed, they can't, since not all of the parts are available there- I wouldn't say they're "made in Korea." Like the wiki said, they're made by Germans (probably in Germany) using parts sourced from other countries.

it's been confirmed that they are only final assembled outside of Korea. all bodies necks are made there.

which like i said is fine but they don't disclose it unless forced too which is shady.

and to the guy above...a prs se isn't a 3k+ guitar.
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's been confirmed that they are only final assembled outside of Korea. all bodies necks are made there.

...which means they aren't made in Korea.

Quote by AcousticMirror

which like i said is fine but they don't disclose it unless forced too which is shady.

and to the guy above...a prs se isn't a 3k+ guitar.

It's not. But it's damn good, which is why I'm suggesting that you don't write off the Duesenberg before you've even laid hands on one.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's not. But it's damn good, which is why I'm suggesting that you don't write off the Duesenberg before you've even laid hands on one.

I've played all of them.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Sure bud.

1. I can probably guarantee you that I've played more gear then you even knew existed.

2. Duesenbergs are sold by guitar center platinum. any guitar center with a platinum room will literally have all of them.

3. I don't actually care if you want to spend 3k on a guitar from Korea. It's cool if you do. You should at least know what you are getting. Disclosure laws are different in Germany. Hofner does the very same thing.
This is sort of interesting:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/the-troublesome-truth-about-sitka-spruce/14808

Since the Duesenberg tops are spruce (at least I know they are for the Starplayers) then it sounds like there's a very high likelihood that that Spruce comes from Alaska. Possibly it's shipped to Korea to be assembled, but it's still American Spruce.

Long story short - we're splitting hairs here. Personally I'm fine with a guitar that has much of its hardware built in Germany, part of it's body (arguably the most important part, in terms of tone) harvested from the US, and bits and pieces from Asia. I just bought a Starplayer TV and it's tone is unique and incredible - like no other guitar I've owned. And isn't that why we buy a guitar in the first place?

On another note - I paid $3100 for an H.S. Anderson Mad Cat Reissue. Hand built in Japan in small batches. Incredible guitar, incredible craftsmanship, incredible tone. Worth every penny, despite being made in Asia. Just like with any other product, there are cheap, mass produced guitars from Asia that are quite obviously crap and there are carefully manufactured guitars built in Asia that are extraordinary. If you avoid buying a guitar manufactured from Asia because it's manufactured in Asia - that's sort of weird, isn't it?
Last edited by mckracken83 at Dec 28, 2016,
mckracken83

It is terrible how forrests are stripped with no plan for sustainabiliy, I watched a series "Dark Woods Justice" IIRC about the theft of curly maple trees from private property in Washington stste's Olympic Peninsula, it is a very serious problem with tens of thousands of dollars at stake all to feed the musical instument industry and mostly the electric guitar manufacturers. A single tree can fetch $5000 to $10,000 depending on how curly the grain is and the size of the trees, those who are caught poaching trees face some serious prison time.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

There's another ecological issue with spruce forests that's associated with global warming (I know, I know, Trump insists it doesn't exist)...

The trees have a normal pest, a borer beetle, and they've traditionally survived one life cycle of that particular beetle without problems. Thanks to a longer warm cycle, the borers in southernmost forests are able to generate TWO life cycles, and it's the second one that's killing whole forests, and moving progressively northward as the temps go up. It's probably a race between the loggers and the beetles at this point to see which will kill the forests first.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 28, 2016,
Quote by AcousticMirror

from the wikipedia

yeah that's what i was going to say. they're set up (or maybe assembled) in germany, but they're pretty expensive considering they're not totally made there.

I haven't tried them, though, they might be awesome. But i'm not too keen on cagey, coy advertising.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Actually the Duesy's are punched out by Mirr Music Co. S Korea and shipped to Germany for assembly, Mirr Music also makes guitars for Reverend, Nice guitars last I checked, What say you Danny?
nastytroll
Who's down with R.E.V.?
Well, you know me!

Quote by AcousticMirror
1. I can probably guarantee you that I've played more gear then you even knew existed.

This is lame

2. Duesenbergs are sold by guitar center platinum. any guitar center with a platinum room will literally have all of them.

Never even heard of a guitar center platinum, interesting.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Hello,

I'm looking for something different than a fender strat or gibson les paul. I noticed the duesenberg starplayer tv en really love it. It's a semi hollow which is something different and it has a p90 with humbucker, and it soudns great.

I own a les paul and strat, and don't want to make any rash decisions which I always do when buying a guitar. Luckily it came out really well both times, but I don't want to end up with a similar sounding/feeling guitar.

What are your opinions on duesenberg (starplayer tv) guitars?

How about a Tele and an SG???? I kid (kind of)....but Duesenbergs are great guitars, worth a try if you can find one reasonable priced. I've never played a Starfire, but they sure look like a Gretsch "type"...so you might want to also try a Gretsch.
This thread is almost a year old, but whatever. For the money you need to spend on a Starplayer TV, I'd much rather get a Rickenbacker 360 if I was looking for something different than a Gibson or a Fender, but still looking for classic tones.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Most of what goes on a Gibson guitar in terms of hardware isn't made at Gibson and, in fact, not even in the USA. Most of the woods come from international sources, as it always has. Maple caps and necks are an exception. It's Gibson's CNC machines that churn out the body and neck pieces, but that's about it. Ditto Fender. The Gibson Axcess Custom I bought some years ago had a Korean-sourced Floyd Rose OFR onboard, and Floyd Rose still supplies Korean-made FROs to most of it's largest customers.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Just to pick a nit -- it was Indian Rosewood, not ebony, that was involved in that particular dispute, and Gibson had falsified paperwork (whether intentionally or "accidentally"), but you're correct that regulations are different for finished work as opposed to raw wood.

There's simply not much on any USA-made guitar that's sourced in the US. The coil wire for the pickups comes from China, for example, but the pickups are wound at Gibson. The mahogany may come from Fiji or Indonesia these days, but Gibson's CNC machines grind out the body blanks. These days some of the most efficient CNC machines are chinese-sourced, so there's really not a quantitative difference between the finished body blank itself coming from Asia as opposed to having been run on the same machines and from the same wood in Germany.
Quote by AcousticMirror

3. I don't actually care if you want to spend 3k on a guitar from Korea. It's cool if you do. You should at least know what you are getting. Disclosure laws are different in Germany. Hofner does the very same thing.

1. In my case, at least, I can guarantee you haven't.

2. I can show you seven Guitar Centers in the Los Angeles area that don't have Duesies in their Platinum Room. But "we can probably order it if you know the model number." If you want to play Duesies, hang around for the NAMM show later this month in Anaheim or check out the used/vintage show that they have just down the road in one of the Orange County Fairgrounds buildings at the same time. You may be able to see a couple at the LA Amp Show at the Airtel Hotel in Van Nuys the first week of October, or catch one of the other guitar shows that come through.

3. Hofner has been both an importer and an exporter of guitar parts through the years. Hofner supplied necks and bodies for a lot of Carvin's early electrics in the '70's, for example. I personally think Duesenbergs are priced pretty high for what they are, but I have no quibbles with their sourcing.
Just to pick a nit -- it was Indian Rosewood, not ebony, that was involved in that particular dispute, and Gibson had falsified paperwork (whether intentionally or "accidentally"), but you're correct that regulations are different for finished work as opposed to raw wood.

Ack, right. I had done a bunch of research on a variety of Lacey Act cases to diescuss things on another board...just got that detail misremembered.

But there's no doubt in my mind about the deliberate nature of Gibson's actions based on the emails that were part of one of their 2 cases' evidence. Cliff's Notes version: one of their buyers expressed concern about the shadiness of the seller- he had a history of selling both legit & illegal materials (with falsified documents), so the buyers were not even sure as to the overall legality of what they were being offered. Gibson's brass responded buy it anyway,

Quote by Dreadnought

Never even heard of a guitar center platinum, interesting.

Some Guitar Denters have a "platinum room" that houses higher end guitars. At the Sunset store in LA, for example, that's where you'll find some $10K (and up) Les Pauls that have been distressed by well-known beater-uppers and or butt-buffed by Pam Anderson in her prime. The kids who practice their metal licks after school at GCs are not allowed in there unattended, nor before de-lousing.
I K0nijn I

had a Rickenbacker. sold it and bought a Starplayer - i like the Starplayer's tone much better. prob why Duesenbergs get rave reviews from Jason Isbell, John Mayer, Joe Walsh, etc. but hey, what the hell do legends and grammy winning guitarists know about guitars? i'm sure some dudes on some interwebz forums know way more, right?
Quote by mckracken83
I K0nijn I

had a Rickenbacker. sold it and bought a Starplayer - i like the Starplayer's tone much better. prob why Duesenbergs get rave reviews from Jason Isbell, John Mayer, Joe Walsh, etc. but hey, what the hell do legends and grammy winning guitarists know about guitars? i'm sure some dudes on some interwebz forums know way more, right?

Good for you. I liked the Rickenbacker a lot more and it holds value better, hence my suggestion.
No need to talk down like that either. Rickenbacker is at least as respected as a brand - if not more - than Duesenberg. And if you really want to drag award winning and stuff into this, maybe check out how who made Rickenbackers famous early on and how many Grammys they have.
Quote by mckracken83

While I appreciate the contributions of those guitarists through the years, I'm pretty much disinterested in what they prefer as guitars at any given time, particularly given the economic climate surrounding those reviews.

If you like the Starplayer's tone better, fine, and that's certainly enough reason you for to buy one. But you'd be surprised at who's a "dude on the interwebz forums" these days. I'd avoid spitting in the face of folks who may actually know way more than you'd suppose.
With all due respect guys - I'm not the one who was being condescending. Some poor guy started a thread asking for opinions on Duesenbergs - presumably with useful information like "how does it sound?" "how's the build quality?" and so on. What he got instead was a long-winded and unnecessary debate on what parts are made where, and a dick measuring contest about who's had their hands on the most gear.

I certainly understand the insignificance of artist's endorsements of gear in many cases. But I watched the rig rundown for Jason Isbell and if you know anything about this guy you'd know he doesn't much give a shit about anything outside of how the gear sounds. He adores the guitar and gets a tremendous, unique tone from it. The guy tours incessantly with them (which would indicate their build quality is excellent) and plays the hell out of them, and as far as I know he is not sponsored by them nor does he have a relationship with the company. Joe Walsh also strikes me as a guy who could give a shit about who's paying him to endorse what. The fact that the instrument gets such heavy praise from these types of artists is noteworthy, IMO.

In any case, like I said - just feel like the guy who started this thread was getting a lot of useless noise and posturing instead of legit info. I think people out here on the forums deserve better, that's all.
Page 1 of 2