Page 1 of 2
My question and debate is to compare the Gibson Studio LP against all other LP's. Experience only please. I can get on any site and read and compare tone equality or custom inlays and collectability with the best of 'em Blah blah blah, what do you guys think?
Last edited by Rainwater1 at Feb 26, 2016,
Why though?
I mean if you can research all of it then whats the purpose of the debate, all opinions sans info about the specs of the guitar will be subjective.
I feel like these threads have been done to death, not to mention I think versus threads are banned.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
This topic is done to death. You can find decades worth of posts about them if you just google.

If you dont need fancy looks get a studio. If you do, get a fancier one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I guess vs. would be a bad word. My hope is to generate conversation about the topic, knowing i am communicating in actual time. Communicating with people who have actual experience.
Youre stimulating a conversation on a topic that is already established and has been debated to death. Were not gonna find anything new in this "debate" that you literally couldnt find in a 30 second google search.

Studios and standards are BOTH 2 piece mahogany bodies, maple tops and 1 piece necks. The difference is mostly cosmetic. Swap pickups in the Studio and then youll be even closer to a Standard.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think your idea seems genuine enough to just want answers. The point we are trying to make is that hashing this out all over again is tedious, redundant and time consuming. Honestly if you just use the search bar for UG you'll be able to find past threads and catch yourself up on all the discussion(s).
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese at #33854457
I think your idea seems genuine enough to just want answers. The point we are trying to make is that hashing this out all over again is tedious, redundant and time consuming. Honestly if you just use the search bar for UG you'll be able to find past threads and catch yourself up on all the discussion(s).

Yup
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I do humbly appologize for offending you guys with this post. Did the studio have an ebony neck once upon a time? And i do appreciate your specs, have you played them Both and confirm that the only difference is cosmetic? Supposing they are set up the same?
Last edited by Rainwater1 at Feb 26, 2016,
Quote by Rainwater1 at #33854475
I do humbly appologize for offending you guys with this post. Did the studio have an ebony neck once upon a time? And i do appreciate your specs, have you played them Both and confirm that the only difference is cosmetic? Supposing they are set up the same?

Yes, you could find some studios with Ebony boards.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1255217

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246384

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892846

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/81095-is-there-a-noticeable-difference-between-studio-and-standardtraditional/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/2k6qeu/whats_the_difference_between_a_gibson_les_paul/

There are the answers to the rest of your questions.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Rainwater1

dude what are you trying to get at exactly? so far there are no definitive answers to your ?s.
all studios are not alike for starters. the oldest ones had dot inlays on the neck but had a nice finish. newer ones don't have as nice a finish. of course the pickups aren't as "good" as say a standard. studios also have the least attention to detail in terms of craftsmanship. if you get a good one then they can play and sound just as good as the other models. once you get past the standard then you are looking at better materials used, workmanship etc.

the studio is exactly what it seems, a budget version of the Les Paul. still a decent guitar but missing some of the frills and craftsmanship that goes into the more expensive models. many players have been very happy with their studios. if you want the sound and feel of say a 59 then you'll have to pay for it. if you just want the LP sound and feel then the studio works.
(Invalid img)

LP Studio= no frills, good tone. Done
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
And, of course, there are all the LPclones out there which can deliver analogous performance for an even better price...and may even be better made, to boot.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just go play them and make your decision that way. Talk is cheap and opinions are like... well y'all know. You'll be the one paying for it and playing it, and if you buy based on internet recommendations and end up unsatisfied, what'll you do?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by monwobobbo
dude what are you trying to get at exactly? so far there are no definitive answers to your ?s.
all studios are not alike for starters. the oldest ones had dot inlays on the neck but had a nice finish. newer ones don't have as nice a finish. of course the pickups aren't as "good" as say a standard. studios also have the least attention to detail in terms of craftsmanship. if you get a good one then they can play and sound just as good as the other models. once you get past the standard then you are looking at better materials used, workmanship etc.

the studio is exactly what it seems, a budget version of the Les Paul. still a decent guitar but missing some of the frills and craftsmanship that goes into the more expensive models. many players have been very happy with their studios. if you want the sound and feel of say a 59 then you'll have to pay for it. if you just want the LP sound and feel then the studio works.

Frills and beauty dont appeal to me, I really like your response. Just really looking for someone who can confirm that it does live up to the LP name. Looking to expand my horizons and branch out to a more versatile range. Maybe sounds weird but my first love was metal guitars and ive never picked up a LP. I like low action, fast fretboards, and turning my strings into wet noodles. At the local guitar center a few days ago I got there right when they open as usual and some old dude was playing a LP. It made me feel like an old lady in church and the pastor was speaking directly to me. I cant afford a $2500 guitar. So any tonal equality to the more expensive would seal the deal, i mean i realize the pups will need an upgrade.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Rainwater1
Frills and beauty dont appeal to me, I really like your response. Just really looking for someone who can confirm that it does live up to the LP name. Looking to expand my horizons and branch out to a more versatile range. Maybe sounds weird but my first love was metal guitars and ive never picked up a LP. I like low action, fast fretboards, and turning my strings into wet noodles. At the local guitar center a few days ago I got there right when they open as usual and some old dude was playing a LP. It made me feel like an old lady in church and the pastor was speaking directly to me. I cant afford a $2500 guitar. So any tonal equality to the more expensive would seal the deal, i mean i realize the pups will need an upgrade.

ok. they sound pretty much like a LP should. the stock pickups aren't bad at all and actually sound decent for metal. the feel won't be the same as most "metal" guitars so be aware of that.

oh and i'm one of those "old guys"
The simple answer: better than some, worse than some (this is all subjective of course). There are some fantastic sounding studio's out there. There are some lousy sounding ones out there. Same with any other "series" from Gibson. Some shine in the tone department, others not as much.

Now of course, studio's don't have all the shiny things on them that the higher end models do. If binding, quality flame tops, chrome bucker covers, and in some cases a high gloss nitro finish are a necessary for you, then a studio isn't going to make you happy even if it sounds great.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok. they sound pretty much like a LP should. the stock pickups aren't bad at all and actually sound decent for metal. the feel won't be the same as most "metal" guitars so be aware of that.

oh and i'm one of those "old guys"

Ha! Didnt mean to offend! Everything I do, is or has been influenced by "an old dude". And oneday i hope to be that old dude! I realize it will be a different feel and style. But if i can make magic to my ears, I will adapt. Who knows maybe i have no clue what ive been missing. I mean i play my acoustic (what i learned on) almost daily, its well over 15 years old and has about a mile and a half action and is about as comfortable as a bed of nails.
Quote by ThunderPunk
The simple answer: better than some, worse than some (this is all subjective of course). There are some fantastic sounding studio's out there. There are some lousy sounding ones out there. Same with any other "series" from Gibson. Some shine in the tone department, others not as much.

Now of course, studio's don't have all the shiny things on them that the higher end models do. If binding, quality flame tops, chrome bucker covers, and in some cases a high gloss nitro finish are a necessary for you, then a studio isn't going to make you happy even if it sounds great.

I appreciate your post. I know i should designate a couple hours at GC and hopefully cycle through a few of them. I am noticing a lot of people responding to this thread have an Epiphone LP in their arsenal. Not a bad route either Im guessing. Beauty really doesnt mean anything to me. My favorite guitars are the ones that i see being played by my dads friends and acquaintances that they have been playing for decades, all wore, knicked, well loved on.
the best thing you can do when checking out a gibson is to go somewhere where they have several of the model(s) that you are looking for and play them. i have 6 gibsons atm, (one just sold and i am in the process of unloading another), and mine are pretty nice. even my two lowly gibby LP studios are pretty sweet. gibson is very inconsistent, they are a little more rough than the average guitar in your price bracket. for example there was a small finish run on my LP, i played the guitar and loved it. being not fond of the mark, i went to see if i could find another one that was the same model/color, etc, and the others i tried were incomparably bad as far as tone and fretwork. i don't see how they can walk out of the same factory like that, but they do. however i dearly love gibson.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the best thing you can do when checking out a gibson is to go somewhere where they have several of the model(s) that you are looking for and play them. i have 6 gibsons atm, (one just sold and i am in the process of unloading another), and mine are pretty nice. even my two lowly gibby LP studios are pretty sweet. gibson is very inconsistent, they are a little more rough than the average guitar in your price bracket. for example there was a small finish run on my LP, i played the guitar and loved it. being not fond of the mark, i went to see if i could find another one that was the same model/color, etc, and the others i tried were incomparably bad as far as tone and fretwork. i don't see how they can walk out of the same factory like that, but they do. however i dearly love gibson.

Very good to know! Thank you. I do plan on doing what you recommend. I honestly didnt know about their inconsistancy. Growing up gibson was always a pipe dream. you know expecting the LP to be the best of the best n questions.
Quote by Rainwater1
Very good to know! Thank you. I do plan on doing what you recommend. I honestly didnt know about their inconsistancy. Growing up gibson was always a pipe dream. you know expecting the LP to be the best of the best n questions.

there have been better and worse years. stay far away from the 2015's though. that was one of gibson's biggest mistakes. i have always liked gibson, and i guess i am more accepting of the lack of perfection than others. you can find gibsons now cheaper than ever, but i don't think that the lower end models are as good as they used to be.

play, buy, enjoy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 26, 2016,
Quote by Rainwater1

will highly recommend that you don't get caught up in a name. as mentioned there are other guitars that can do the same job tonally that aren't gibsons. also you may want to try other models such as an SG which you may find suit you better. i have a hard time playing LPs for some reason (owned 2over the years but never bonded with them). i use a BC Rich Eagle for my LP style tones.

by the way what is your budget for buying guitar?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
there have been better and worse years. stay far away from the 2015's though. that was one of gibson's biggest mistakes. i have always liked gibson, and i guess i am more accepting of the lack of perfection than others. you can find gibsons now cheaper than ever, but i don't think that the lower end models are as good as they used to be.

play, buy, enjoy.

Thank you! You are exactly the person I was hoping to talk to with this post! I appreciate more than you know your advice. Thanks for sticking with the post and not killing me for "beating a dead horse" I'm gonna dive into some Gibson and see how i fare!
Quote by Rainwater1
Thank you! You are exactly the person I was hoping to talk to with this post! I appreciate more than you know your advice. Thanks for sticking with the post and not killing me for "beating a dead horse" I'm gonna dive into some Gibson and see how i fare!

no problem. the best thing you can do when trying out a guitar is to be blind. don't look at the logo, or the inlays, etc., etc.,etc get the one that feels best for you. you may be surprised what you end up with.

monowobbo does have a good point though, there are tons of nice clones that are very nice as well for the price. however i haven't had my hands on many, as they aren't in many shops around here. burny grecko (spelling?) make some excellent guitars.

so what is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Rainwater1
My question and debate is to compare the Gibson Studio LP against all other LP's.

No thanks. I've played a Studio and I've played a whole ton of other LPs. That's far too broad a topic. OTOH, I own expensive non-Studio Gibsons and I own inexpensive non-Gibson LPs and after having played all that bunch I own not one Studio.
Quote by monwobobbo
will highly recommend that you don't get caught up in a name. as mentioned there are other guitars that can do the same job tonally that aren't gibsons. also you may want to try other models such as an SG which you may find suit you better. i have a hard time playing LPs for some reason (owned 2over the years but never bonded with them). i use a BC Rich Eagle for my LP style tones.

by the way what is your budget for buying guitar?

Thanks for the advice! I dont wanna get caught up in the name, but definitely intrigued by the sound and the history. I am for sure going to play around with them and see if i can find some common ground with it. What are some other good recommendations if that doesnt work out. I have experience with stratocaster and telecaster, and various other fender but could never build a bond with them. Do absolutely love Ibanez and schecter
Quote by trashedlostfdup
no problem. the best thing you can do when trying out a guitar is to be blind. don't look at the logo, or the inlays, etc., etc.,etc get the one that feels best for you. you may be surprised what you end up with.

monowobbo does have a good point though, there are tons of nice clones that are very nice as well for the price. however i haven't had my hands on many, as they aren't in many shops around here. burny grecko (spelling?) make some excellent guitars.

so what is your budget?

My budget is around $800. Im a huge fan of the blind playing, thats how i fell in love with my RG. I was just killing time, picked it up, and just kept saying wow. Same story with Schecter, i actually had a negative view on them because of the Ibanez Schecter drama. But i picked one up and couldnt put it down. Playability and tone are superior to looks and frill....in my opinion.
Quote by Rainwater1
Thanks for the advice! I dont wanna get caught up in the name, but definitely intrigued by the sound and the history. I am for sure going to play around with them and see if i can find some common ground with it. What are some other good recommendations if that doesnt work out. I have experience with stratocaster and telecaster, and various other fender but could never build a bond with them. Do absolutely love Ibanez and schecter

you may want to look at PRS single cuts. $800 won't get you a new Studio. there are some lower end LPs but those can be very iffy. i'd also look at Gibson SGs as those are great for playing metal as well as rock and blues.

keep an open mind. i've bought a few guitars that would have never ocured to me is i hadn't happened to play them.
Hmmm...$800, fan of metal, wants an LP of some kind after watching someone play one.

If you want 2 humbuckers in a LP shape, there are plenty of good options on your budget.

Godin Core HB- discontinued, but plenty available online
Electra Omega or Omega Prime
Agile (don't know their models)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The studio was designed to be a stripped down LP Standard. Same hardware, same woods (just not as pretty), less bling. It was originally designed to be a cheaper working-man's guitar alternative to the Standard in the early 80's. And the original studio's had dot inlays not trapezoids. the older studios only came with a 50's neck which many people don't like because of the thickness.

I had a LP studio for several years and it was a very good guitar, I wish I wouldn't have sold it now.

For $800 you can get a used Studio and pocket $150-$200
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 27, 2016,
The LP Clones likely won't have the bigger necks if thats an attraction. If it's not and you aren't after a classic LP sound then with your budget I'd say a PRS SE would fit the bill. Their PUs are more modern and a little hotter than PAF types. The scales available are 25 and 24.5 inch with most (but not all) single cut styles offering 24.5 which is close to Gibsons real scale length of 24.6X and not the commonly referred to 24-3/4.
Build quality is excellent.
Another option is an Epiphone Tribute Plus which comes with some nice features not normally found in Epis (solid maple cap- flame is maple veneer much like PRS SEs), quality HW and electronics, Hardshell case as well! This though is basically a Gibson LP at a reduced price and not a modern take on one.
One thing about buying a used Gibson Studio if you find a good one is youll be able to sell it for basically what you bought it for. Gibson's take an initial hit in price when new (as do all new purchases) but tend to not go any lower unless they've been abused.
Good luck.
Moving on.....
one to add on to what ken said, its LOT easier to move a gibson than more uncommon clones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by KenG
The LP Clones likely won't have the bigger necks if thats an attraction. If it's not and you aren't after a classic LP sound then with your budget I'd say a PRS SE would fit the bill. Their PUs are more modern and a little hotter than PAF types. The scales available are 25 and 24.5 inch with most (but not all) single cut styles offering 24.5 which is close to Gibsons real scale length of 24.6X and not the commonly referred to 24-3/4.
Build quality is excellent.
Another option is an Epiphone Tribute Plus which comes with some nice features not normally found in Epis (solid maple cap- flame is maple veneer much like PRS SEs), quality HW and electronics, Hardshell case as well! This though is basically a Gibson LP at a reduced price and not a modern take on one.
One thing about buying a used Gibson Studio if you find a good one is youll be able to sell it for basically what you bought it for. Gibson's take an initial hit in price when new (as do all new purchases) but tend to not go any lower unless they've been abused.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info! Ive been looking at PRS as well, Initially it was the tone of the LP that turned me on to it. I have no desire for the hype or name. Im worried about playability. I want that tone and versatility with the the feel that i love from Ibanez and
Schecter. But absolutely right about Gibson holding its value. Someone recommended i try an SG as well.
Quote by Rainwater1
Thanks for the info! Ive been looking at PRS as well, Initially it was the tone of the LP that turned me on to it. I have no desire for the hype or name. Im worried about playability. I want that tone and versatility with the the feel that i love from Ibanez and
Schecter. But absolutely right about Gibson holding its value. Someone recommended i try an SG as well.

if you are looking PRS, look for the CE versions, they are the same as the CU, just with bolton necks. i have played a couple and thoroughly enjoyed them. rob has one that he mentions frequently as well. they may be a tad over your budget though. maybe $1000 or a little bit over.

however, i wouldn't trade either of my LP's for a PRS .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
one to add on to what ken said, its LOT easier to move a gibson than more uncommon clones.

Of course, the flip-side to that is that in the used market, a clone will be an even better deal for your money.

Quote by Rainwater1
Just really looking for someone who can confirm that it does live up to the LP name.

as 100 people that have played more than a few gibsons and you will get 100 different answers.

the bottom line is that a new studio is more likely to be inferior to a host of other les pauls made by companies other than gibson.

older studios have their own sets of idiosyncrasies. some are really heavy, others have really thick necks, etc.

i found that at the sub $2500 price point, many other companies built and sold "les pauls" that played, felt and sounded like a LP should at a fraction of the prices big G wants for the same features.

but if you want the headstock tax that comes with having a G on the headstock, it's your money.

i suggest you consider other manufacturers. Tokai, Burny, Edwards, Orville, Bacchus, Epiphone, PRS, Greco, Navigator, Ornetts, bla bla bla.

at $800, i'd put my sights on a Bacchus BLS-59, BLS-120 or Tokai LS-50 or LS-60, or Edwards LTS or ALS versions. (used, not new)

good luck in your search.

my opinion on the LP studios (i've had 3 or 4, old guy here) is that there are better guitars at the same price points, new or used.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yeah the PRS CE line is way above anything your thinking about TS, but it is not a LP shape and it sounds a bit different also. But a great guitar if you ever have the chance to try one.

I also have an SG shape and I really like them, but again they don't sound like a LP, they have more of a midrange bark to them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rainwater1
My question and debate is to compare the Gibson Studio LP against all other LP's.

The Studio has a Gibson logo and was originally meant to be a cheap alternative to the Standard in the catalog, just as the Custom was meant to be the expensive version.

It is essentially a 67 year old design that has a clunky neck heel beginning above the 16th fret, a delicate headstock design (LP headstocks are the most broken of all guitars), a crappy finish, no tummy cut, mediocre hardware and decent pickups. If you have large hands, you'll find that the cutaway horn will force your fretting hand to rotate in order to access the higher frets. And yeah, all of your old fart friends play them and adore them because they grew up with them. It's usually a $grand or more (US).

For half that price ($499), you can have a guitar that *looks* the part, but that has a smooth, shaved-away neck heel that allows better comfort in the upper fret areas, that uses neck-through construction (rather than set-neck), that has a much tougher neck-headstock area, that has a bullet-proof finish that will protect the guitar far better and that won't embrittle, check, chip, chalk, discolor and deteriorate over the life of the guitar. It will have a tummy cut, hardware that's an upgrade (Graphtech Tusq nut, NVS2 bridge with String Saver saddles), decent pickups (AlnicoV), a modified cutaway horn, an ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays, triple binding on the body and headstock, single binding on the fretboard, a compound radius (12" - 16") fretboard with jumbo frets (the Studio has a 12" board with mediums or medium-jumbos) and three available neck profiles (standard, wide, thin). It will also have coil taps, nickel hardware and a 3/4" maple cap over a 2-piece solid mahogany body (no cheesing, no chambering). A sample: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3200hsbfmcc.html

For that same $1000 budget you can even get a version custom built with Floyd, 24-fret neck, different scale, a huge choice of finishes and options, stainless frets (much longer wearing) and so on.

I have GibsonLPs that range in age from mid-50's to a 2009 Axcess Custom. I've also got a wide range of guitars that are functionally similar to an LP, some of which were far more expensive than an LP Standard, some much less, from other brand names.

In ever case, I've chosen those guitars over a Gibson Studio (I've never owned a Studio).
Page 1 of 2