So, I got a new Gibson:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1697014

I wasn´t happy with the binding. The binding on the neck was so sloppily done that I just couldn´t ignore it while playing. I called the shop about maybe marking the price down a bit and they asked for pics. Since my camera sucks and pics of black binding next to black finish don´t really show and the shop is near my place I drove over there today.

First I went to the returns desk. There I saw a sign telling me it wasn´t occupied today and I´d have to go to the service desk. After 10 minutes a "service" employee showed up. According to him most Gibsons were like that. But, about a little rebate he said I´d have to talk to the salespeople in the guitar department. There the person I found told me I´d have to talk to his boss who was currently at his desk in the Custom Shop department. The "boss" again told me that what I was talking about was Gibson´s "individuality" and again, all Gibsons were like that. I did comment that the Les Paul Standard that I had bought at the same store a couple of months ago was perfect and not at all "like that". Nevertheless, the "boss" said he couldn´t help me, I´d have to simply keep or return the guitar.

On my way to return it I saw the same model in one of the shop´s displays. I checked it out and, surprise, considering "all were like mine" this one´s neck-binding was perfect. I got to swap may guitar for the one in the display.

Summary, lazy ass motherfucking "boss" and his ilk don´t give a damn about taking care of customers, even those that spent over 2600 Euros on 2 Gibsons in the past few months. What´s a happy customer if that actually means getting your ass out of your fancy "boss chair" and actually taking a look at your inventory!

Another experience that understrokes my opinion that second hand is the way to go!
Last edited by kentuckyklira at Feb 26, 2016,
Some stores are like that, some are not. Go to the ones that are not.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
fwiw #1 i have a 1968 lp custom black beauty. nothing on that thing is geometrically correct. the tone is awesome though. peek inside a gibson acoustic some day -often you will see bracing and interior craft looking like it was chewed out by beavers.

fwiw #2 gibson is notorious for treating it's affiliates badly. they make it extremely hard to return defective merch, resort to bullying and extortion to force retailers to "push product", demand product placement priorities concerning rival brands, and require a seriously steep buy in. if the store has customer service issues there may also be a back story concerning how difficult it is dealing with gibson corporate.

sorry about your irritation and i hope things work out ok for you.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 26, 2016,
I just remember the first thing I asked when I called the store, it was if they still had a few of those guitars left and the woman said no, not one left. Must be the reason I got another one now!

@ad_works

I know about that. Thomann for example, pretty much one of the very biggest shops, on- and offline, in Europe has stopped doing business with Gibson.

Doesn´t mean that, if there actually hadn´t been a decent one in the shop, they might have given me a 100€ refund and I´d have been OK. I´m not a "one Epiphone in a decade" customer, I´d think keeping people like me happy would be a sensible move.
Because of the Internet and the power of social media, customer service/satisfaction is now more important than ever before. Businesses that fail to grasp that will..well...fail.

Doesn't mean that the customer is always right, no. But if there is a legitimate beef, it is more often better to make the customer happy than to stand on principles and be right. Being right the wrong way can put your store right out of business.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

that sucks glad you got it sorted, though.

I always find it very funny when they say something which is clearly wrong and which you have an answer for (even funnier when it was a guitar they had in stock which was perfect). Glad you got it sorted.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that sucks glad you got it sorted, though.

I always find it very funny when they say something which is clearly wrong and which you have an answer for (even funnier when it was a guitar they had in stock which was perfect). Glad you got it sorted.

I suspect that they put a really good one into the display so that when people check it out they like it and then order one later on.

I just hate getting treated like a fool. Since their Gibson blow out is almost over I guess my gear money will go elsewhere in the next few years.
I would just go to a shop where they treat you better.

There are 3 big ones in the town center of Leeds where I live and one of them is a Music Room so it is over priced and full of shit like violins and ukuleles as well as guitars, so it is full of hipsters and daddy's little princesses who look at you like you just asked to summon satan if you try and buy a guitar in there, the staff also clearly don't know anything about guitars and amps and just give you a blank look if you ask any questions beyond "How much is it".

The PMT has the most choice, it is like the only place I have found in Leeds that stocks anything beyond Fender, Gibson, Squire, Epiphone, Ibanez, Marshall, Blackstar and Orange. They have ESP's, Jacksons, Mesa/Boogie and Peavey and shit but the only time I went in to try anything the member of staff talked to me like a piece of shit and wouldn't let me borrow a thicker pick to try and demo a guitar. (Seriously he gave me the thinnest, floppiest thing I have ever seen, it was like paper). So I haven't been back there.

The last is a Dawson's Music, I am always greeted nicely and talked to like an actual human being, the staff are friendly and helpful and generally know their stuff about the stock, it is where I bought my Les Paul Custom, Ibanez GRG and my Boss pedals and they now know me quite well in there.

They only stock the usual Fender/Squire/Gibson/Epiphone/Ibanez/Marshall/Blackstar/Orange but I guess that's ok since I love Strats, Teles, Les Pauls and RG's.

The point is, try shopping around and find the place with the best service, be friendly and polite in return and build up a rapport with staff, then they will try and go out their way to help you with thing.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by kentuckyklira
I suspect that they put a really good one into the display so that when people check it out they like it and then order one later on.

I just hate getting treated like a fool. Since their Gibson blow out is almost over I guess my gear money will go elsewhere in the next few years.

yeah.

and yeah. i think cathbard has a phrase for that- "don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining". I agree.

Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I would just go to a shop where they treat you better.

I agree that voting with your feet is the best way to get them, but that only works if you live in a big enough city where you have choice.

I also think it's fair enough to flag it up if you have had shoddy service- it serves as a warning for the community.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I agree that voting with your feet is the best way to get them, but that only works if you live in a big enough city where you have choice.

I also think it's fair enough to flag it up if you have had shoddy service- it serves as a warning for the community.

Well, if you're willing & able, the Internet provides all kinds of "shopportunities".

And yes, letting other musicians- AND the store's management- know about bad service is key to changing the situation.

Music Store in Cologne has a long history of treating customers like idiots. But, I guess many people are idiots and too stupid to notice and others are just too timid to complain. Music Store has constantly been expanding over the past few decades. The owner is a millionaire who doesn´t have to make big profit with his music business so I guess he doesn´t care about complaints as long as the sheep keep flocking to his shop because the epiphones are 5 Euros cheaper there than elsewhere.
^ yeah i shopped (online) with musicstore once. never again.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
(a) Well, if you're willing & able, the Internet provides all kinds of "shopportunities".

(b) And yes, letting other musicians- AND the store's management- know about bad service is key to changing the situation.

(a) agreed, but for all you know they're just as bad if you haven't actually been in to see them face to face

(b) it's very embarassing to let the store know. And i don't see why i should have to, especially if it's something really obvious (or even worse, if it seems to be store policy). Apart from anything else if they're that rude before you complain, what makes you think they'll suddenly be really pleasant if you do? a lot of shops try to make it as awkward as possible to complain (much like returning faulty goods), too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?