I've been experimenting a lot with different ways to play my electric acoustic guitar. For the record I have an ibanez SGE220CS and I'm happy with it's sound. However I am not happy with the volume it produces when I play. It's too loud when I use a pick and too muffled when I strum with my thumb.

Since a pick produces the best sound I usually go by that. I have several and my 0.38 Dunlop produces the softest volume but it's still too loud. I have done some internet research and I've stumbled upon a plethora of methods to lower the volume, from using a kind of rubber stop in the sound hole to stuffing the guitar with a towel.

Strumming softer seems to work best but that's pretty hard when you want to play a fast paced song; I did however stumble upon a Youtube video with Dave Grohl playing acoustic guitar and it's basically just the volume and sound I'm looking for.

https://youtu.be/YFHD7kuAqu4?t=1m5s

Yay! Gotta love 360p vids. As you can see, he plays at a fast pace and it still sounds great. Clear sound, pretty good stuff.

Anyway, from what I can gather from this vid:
-It seems Dave uses his index finger as a kind of guitar pick folding his hand like he's using a pick.
-He strums behind the sound whole

Monkey see, monkey do so I tried to emulate this but thus far it still provides a much louder sound than I want. (and also much louder than in the vid)

Can anyone help with this? Are my observations correct? Do you have any other advice?

Thank you in advance.
Um, you're going to have to explain the context of "too loud" first. Why is the guitar "too loud"? Where is the guitar, "too loud"? Like that.

As far as a Dave Mattews video goes, both he and the guitar are likely miked. You turn up the vocal channel, and turn down, (er I mean, "attenuate"), the guitar mic or pickup channel(s).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 26, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
Um, you're going to have to explain the context of "too loud" first. Why is the guitar "too loud"? Where is the guitar, "too loud"? Like that.

As far as a Dave Mattews video goes, both he and the guitar are likely miked. You turn up the vocal channel, and turn down, (er I mean, "attenuate"), the guitar mic or pickup channel(s).

With too loud I mean that I really have to shout in order to sing along to my guitar. (I am of course talking about singing without any mikes for me of my guitar)
Whenever I see people busking, which I also like to do, they sing at a normal volume with the guitar supplementing their voice.

Basically I just want to sing along my guitar while performing my own songs. When I use my thumb the volume is right but the tones are somewhat muffle. (They don't 'ring' as much for lack of a better term) When I use a pick the sound is better but a whole lot louder.

I also don't want to disturb my neighbours too much as I live in an apartment.

Thank you for your replie by the way. Really appreciate it.
Last edited by JordyAgain at Feb 27, 2016,
Generally good volume from your guitar is a good thing. One easy solution is to try strumming with your index fingernail and thumbnail. Basically loose the pick but squeeze your fingers as if you were holding one. Strum with you nails instead of the fleshy part of your thumb. It may help if you grow your nails out a little bit. But nails will be a little quieter than a pick.
^^^^ Yes, finger strumming works well, but it is liable to wear out your nails - one reason I sometimes play nylon strings.

You could try a soundhole mute. If you don't want to invest in a feedback buster or lute hole, you can make one from corrugated cardboard. - One disk that jams tightly in the hole, another disk stuck to it that is a bit bigger, that stops it falling into the body.
Last edited by Tony Done at Feb 27, 2016,