Page 1 of 3
Note: I know that trends cannot be objectively better than any other trend.

Looking back at the 90s/early 2000s, I can't help but notice how god awful the fashion was. Ill fitting clothing and primary colors were all the rage. Are we going to look back at the fashion and trends of this year with disgust and amazement in the same way we think of the fashions of the 90s?

I've put together some examples using women's fashion, as I've never paid any attention to men's styles.

So what's the deal? Have trends made some leaps that have led us to a more timeless design? Or is everything we currently like going to be gross and ugly in 20 years, just as we've seen with the fashion of the 90s?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35 at #33855289

So what's the deal? Have trends made some leaps that have led us to a more timeless design? Or is everything we currently like going to be gross and ugly in 20 years, just as we've seen with the fashion of the 90s?

I think probably the latter. People in the 90's probably thought fashion/style from the 70's was awful.
I don't think the 90's were as good as we all want to remember they were.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Parts of 90s fashion is very similar to now. A more refined and conservative reaction to the bright and loud craziness of the 80s. People now want the hipster/simple look with flannel and less crazy clothes compared to the early 2000s.

Style is based on fads. Give it some time and we'll sweep towards crazy ridiculous fashions as kids try to break away from what was once cool by being different and new.
Quote by JustRooster

Yeah pretty much. "Only 90's kids will get this"

Just fuck off people
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I think this is just the natural cycle of style. We're far enough removed from the 20's-50's that those trends look "classic." The 60's and 70's look "retro." The 80's and 90's look goofy. The 00's styles look outdated. We think current fashion is timeless. In ten years, current fashion will look outdated. The 80's and 90's will look retro, etc.
No. It's not objectively better. Every generation makes awful fashion mistakes and also get things right.

If I could be bothered copying links to images I could find a few pictures of good 90s fashions and hairstyles as well as some really bad examples of current fashions and hairstyles and post them with a statement like "was fashion objectively better in the 90s than today?"

In regards to both of those examples anyway they look more 80s than 90s. Just do an image google search for 90s hairstyles and 80s hairstyles. The pictures you posted look more like 80s hairstyles.
-I'm not defending the 90s just pointing out an observation.
Si
Quote by Angus_Junior35
/snip
Are we going to look back at the fashion and trends of this year with disgust and amazement in the same way we think of the fashions of the 90s?
/snip

Yes.

And at that point, 90's fashion will be retro.
90's fashion was pretty bad but nowhere near as bad as 80's fashion.
Everything in the OP was bad.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I disagree so hard -

An updated version of the 90s has been back for a while in clothes and makeup trends.

Flares are coming back now.

Cardigans like the one you posted in the current picture are out.

I despise the shirt the last girl is wearing. Not really a fan of the coat on the girl before that. The bag and shoes are alright but I wouldn't wear them.

I adore the 2nd outfit from the 90s.

I wish 80s hair was back because then I could let my hair just do its thing instead of trying to tame it into submission.

I personally prefer the colors of 90s makeup (brown lipstick especially) because it works so much better with my skin tone than this year's Pantone colors for example, which are pastels. I believe part of the 90s resuscitation thing was because (or is it the other way around?) last year's Pantone color was Marsala.

If anything from now is looked back on with regret, it will probably be the Instagram makeup look, with layers and layers of flawless foundation and thick brows and crazy contouring/highlighting. It looks amazing on people who do it right and have the right face structure but its ubiquitous now and it's kinda boring that everything is neutrals, I would love to see more color.

Lipgloss is coming back which was definitely a 90s/early 2000s thing. I'm excited for that because matte lipstick makes my lips look disgusting and scaly.

Oh, and Uggs are coming back too. I personally don't have a problem with them but I know most people consider them ugly.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Feb 27, 2016,
90s <------wrong

90's <-----wrong

'90s <-----correct
Check out my band Disturbed
To be fair the 90s examples look like really early 90s like 1992 and people didnt look like that in the early 2000's/ late 90s
Today we have that terrible haircuts where side of the head is cut short and the rest of hairs are relatively long. I want to punch in face everyone who have haircut like that.
Quote by GameSkate
Today we have that terrible haircuts where side of the head is cut short and the rest of hairs are relatively long. I want to punch in face everyone who have haircut like that.

Fade? Mullet? You're not really specific.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by GameSkate at #33855506

That's the best haircut there is.
Free Ali
Quote by StewieSwan
90s <------wrong

90's <-----wrong

'90s <-----correct

This is objectively the most important post in this thread.
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Quote by theogonia777

the skrillex obv
Check out my band Disturbed
you lost me at objectively
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by theogonia777

They both suck, so there's no appreciable difference.
Quote by JustRooster at #33855296

they were pretty shit

I don't get the love
Quote by chrismendiola at #33855527
That's the best haircut there is.

yea
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
yall are late the whole 90s revival is p much old now (aka being sold a plenty at forever 21)

the 70s look & wes anderson character thing is what's passing thru atm and I think after that we are gonna get something kinda funky and weird after (like missy elliot video style futurism) but idk yet

rn

Quote by WCPhils
yea

it looks good on everybody
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Why do women:
  • wear blankets?
  • wear capes?
  • rip their hoodies?

This might belong in the philosophy thread, though.
Free Ali
is comfy
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by guitarxo
Who rips their hoodies?
I was wondering that too. I remember people ripping the thumb holes in them.
Quote by JustRooster

And not just in a fashion sense.
Quote by guitarxo
...Uggs are coming back too. I personally don't have a problem with them but I know most people consider them ugly.

I don't think they ever went away. I like Uggs, as they give me a visual cue that I wouldn't like that person so I don't have to bother finding out.
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 27, 2016,
when did uggs go away? Every girl I know wears them everyday for about 8 months of the year
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
you need new friends

they're fine as driving shoes maybe, or as slippers
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

90s fashion is better by virtue of being dead.
you get to pick and chose which elements of it you want to appreciate or revive
and you can assign whatever meaning to the styles that you want
Quote by Eastwinn
90s fashion is better by virtue of being dead.
you get to pick and chose which elements of it you want to appreciate or revive
and you can assign whatever meaning to the styles that you want

Lack of meter and punctuation really killed this piece for me. The message was good, but I think a stronger sense of canter would really make this poem a lot better.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I think probably the latter. People in the 90's probably thought fashion/style from the 70's was awful.

I thought the makeup/hair styles on chicks were best during the 70s except during the 60s we had a miniskirt and I went through high school with a hard on. I homeroom class and a few devastatingly beautiful girls who always wore short dresses, shit ! 4 long years of saying that every morning except Saturday and Sunday and during the summer.
Page 1 of 3