Both have one humbucker and some version of a single coil pickup and are priced fairly close. Haven't had a chance to play either one.
honestly with those guitars it comes down to personal preference and feel. Both are going to be extremely well made

That PRS reminds me of the old Dean hardtail in shape, like a stretched PRS body

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you have to ask, probably the Fallout. The Vela is a guitar that you either love or you don't. And it doesn't seem like you love it. It sounds very unique. The humbucker is based on a Teisco del Rey and the single-coil is based on a DeArmond. You're not going to get many traditional tones out of a Vela. The Vela is probably my favorite guitar that's come out in the past few years but you'll probably be disappointed with the Vela if you just want an HS guitar. The Starla pickup doesn't sound like what you typically want from a humbucker and the Type-D doesn't sound like the single-coils that people are used to hearing. The Fallout sounds like what you expect it to sound like. It's a much safer choice.
Quote by Robbgnarly
honestly with those guitars it comes down to personal preference and feel. Both are going to be extremely well made

That PRS reminds me of the old Dean hardtail in shape, like a stretched PRS body

I don't think that resemblance is all that strong.
Velas look like this:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
...onto the meat of the discussion, though...

Both are good, and as was pointed out, the Fallout sounds a bit more mainstream. Both are part of the wave of guitars hitting the market the past 5 or so years equipped with a bridge HB and some kind of P90 oversized singlecoil in the neck. Besides those, off the top of my head, I know of production guitars like the Godin Empire, the Reverend Double Agent & Double Agent OG, Duesenberg Starplayer TV & 49er, Gibson BFG, and the Nik Huber Krautster II. There was a version of the Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster set up that way, but they're hard to find- do a search, and most of the ones you'll see will be HH.*

I'm sure there are more.

Personally, the Reverend Double Agent was my intro to this style of guitar, but I don't have one- I got distracted by other Reverends. Instead, I have a nifty axe made by a luthier. I have to say that it is a fun configuration to play with.

* no I'm not smoking loco weed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFyObBMHYL8&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 27, 2016,
I like my Fallout , it gets gigged more than any other guitar I have , sounds good with all my amps too , some guitars don't

never played that model PRS so I can't comment , my G&L dealer is also a PRS dealer , good quality from both
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Feb 27, 2016,
I currently have a PRS SE Custom 24 with a Gibson Burstbucker in the bridge and a Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and absolutely love it! I also have a PRS SE Tremonti that is stock and it sounds great also, so I have nothing but praise for the PRS line. I'm just not sure if the S2 line is that much better. I've heard great things about the G&L guitars and the idea of a P-90 sounds good to me. My Epiphone Casini Coupe has 2 P-90's and sounds really good and I would think that the G&L P-90 would be better than the Epiphone P-90.
Then go used and get a PRS CE22/24, they are great guitars they are the same as the CU22/24 except they have a bolt-thru maple neck vs a set neck. They are a step above the S2 line
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also, to state the semi-obvious, you could also try this combo out on the cheap by place a HB- or singlecoil-sized P90 in the neck position of a guitar you already own. Uch pickups are available from a fairly decent number of manufacturers.

Quote by heberman
I currently have a PRS SE Custom 24 with a Gibson Burstbucker in the bridge and a Gibson Classic 57 in the neck and absolutely love it! I also have a PRS SE Tremonti that is stock and it sounds great also, so I have nothing but praise for the PRS line. I'm just not sure if the S2 line is that much better. I've heard great things about the G&L guitars and the idea of a P-90 sounds good to me. My Epiphone Casini Coupe has 2 P-90's and sounds really good and I would think that the G&L P-90 would be better than the Epiphone P-90.

the S2 line is a bit better than the SE line by most accounts. the look and feel is very similar between them though. i like the vela on paper but have yet to try one.

that said, the G&L guitars are extremely nice as well. i'm a fan of them.

tough choice, try to sit down and side by side them to see what you think, feel and hear.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't think that resemblance is all that strong.

I think besides the pickguard they look extremely similar on the outline shape. The vela has a slightly more A-symmetrical bottom bout but that's it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
G&L for sure from those choices. ALL PRS guitars sound like absolute shit. They have pickups with flat EQs. Paul says he does it on purpose so u can "find your signature tone" through your amp. He wants the guitar to be a blank slate so you can use your amp to shape your tone. Which is complete rubbish for the gigging musician who sometimes has to borrow or change amps due to break downs or what have you.

PRS makes beautiful instruments that play well and are built like a tank with quality parts for sure. But they sound bad.....like omg the nightmare.....

Ive never played a real G&L before but i heard it was like leo fenders last endeveor or some shit. Basically its a good guitar company is all im saying im probably wrong on that.

But in my honest opinion..... i would just get a cheap plywood chinese guitar that looks good and has those pickup options as you have not said your background or what you will be using it for lmao.

I say this only because i have a cheap plywood chinese guitar that sounds better than some of the strats from fender or w/e copy is out there. Like it nails SRV tone spot on and i plays like amazing butter. Like no joke i can move up and down that neck so fast and easily and the notes are perfectly intonated thanks to my great set up lmao.

In fact its got a vintage trem and i can do all the tricks a floyd rose can even a flutter.....thats a lot of tone in one cheap ass guitar i tell ya what!

Got it for 45 bucks and i bet ill still sound better than those choices lmao.

Do u know how hard people fight for that SRV tone? DO YA!! I didnt even want it but after i heard it i was like did SRV make this guitar with his essence! Like i swear i was him lmao.

My point is this. You dont spend money on tone. You practice for tone....tone is all in the hands.

But yes G&L.....ahem.....