Hey guys. I am in the market to upgrade my crappy Ibanez jumpstart electric guitar that I got probably 10-12 years ago as a kid. I recently picked up playing the guitar again and taking online lessons through www.guitartricks.com to give me a good beginning set of skills to go with. At first, I wanted to buy one single guitar that will suit all my needs of playing anything from classic to heavy rock (breaking benjamin, linking park, etc.). I recently started thinking of just buying a guitar for my heavy rock needs as that is the music I am more interested in playing and it will be less of a pain to keep switching from standard tunings to drop tunings. Eventually I will buy a better guitar for playing all the other type of music I want to play.

I have been doing a lot of research and talking to a few people about what I should consider getting. To start with I just ordered a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt amp. For guitars, I seem to be looking at ESP and Epiphone. I was also looking at PRS but know that at the moment I suck (lol) and maybe I shouldn't be dropping big bucks on a guitar if I don't even know how to play well. When I go look at ESP and Epiphany models online, it gets overwhelming seeing all the different models there are and what the differences are.

Anyways, you guys help me pick out an electric guitar based what I posted. I am open to any suggestions not only ESP and Epiphany. If you can list a model of whatever brand you suggest that would be great too. Thanks!
Quote by sanzz18
Hey guys. I am in the market to upgrade my crappy Ibanez jumpstart electric guitar that I got probably 10-12 years ago as a kid. I recently picked up playing the guitar again and taking online lessons through www.guitartricks.com to give me a good beginning set of skills to go with. At first, I wanted to buy one single guitar that will suit all my needs of playing anything from classic to heavy rock (breaking benjamin, linking park, etc.). I recently started thinking of just buying a guitar for my heavy rock needs as that is the music I am more interested in playing and it will be less of a pain to keep switching from standard tunings to drop tunings. Eventually I will buy a better guitar for playing all the other type of music I want to play.

I have been doing a lot of research and talking to a few people about what I should consider getting. To start with I just ordered a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt amp. For guitars, I seem to be looking at ESP and Epiphone. I was also looking at PRS but know that at the moment I suck (lol) and maybe I shouldn't be dropping big bucks on a guitar if I don't even know how to play well. When I go look at ESP and Epiphany models online, it gets overwhelming seeing all the different models there are and what the differences are.

Anyways, you guys help me pick out an electric guitar based what I posted. I am open to any suggestions not only ESP and Epiphany. If you can list a model of whatever brand you suggest that would be great too. Thanks!

The PRS SE range is very affordable - SE standards are around the same price point as the upper-middle price Epiphones, and the quality is excellent.
Worth looking at the SE custom/standard 24. 24 fret necks. The trem will make changing tunings a bit more awkward(though you could block it), but again, they're affordable, and damn good.

If you can be a bit more precise with your budget and where you live(roughly, "America" or "Khazahkstan"is fine), we can offer more suggestions.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Feb 27, 2016,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The PRS SE range is very affordable - SE standards are around the same price point as the upper-middle price Epiphones, and the quality is excellent.
Worth looking at the SE custom/standard 24. 24 fret necks. The trem will make changing tunings a bit more awkward(though you could block it), but again, they're affordable, and damn good.

If you can be a bit more precise with your budget and where you live(roughly, "America" or "Khazahkstan"is fine), we can offer more suggestions.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely consider the SE custom standard 24. Just to think about the flip-side, what if I did not want the trem or even get one and block it. What would your suggestion be at that point?
It depends.

If you can live with 22 frets, I'd look at the hardtail SE standards, Epiphone Les Pauls(Plus Top Pro gives a decent bang for your buck).

Though if you feel you need 24, you'll be looking into the Ibanez RG/S/AR220(I think) which are around the price point, and in hardtail versions.

Jackson are a little bit more trem-happy, but there are some (such as the DK2QHT Pro hardtail) not excessively above that price point, which I'd say are worth a look.

I don't really have much experience with ESP/LTD, but they do seem to have a reputation as being decent quality.

Bear in mind this is influenced by my own personal taste and experience, so I've probably missed a few possibilities.
Quote by Diemon Dave
You shouldn't have bought that spider amp.You should have bought a vox or a blackstar,to begin with.If you dont play metal,yamaha pacifica or epiphone might be ok,but get a guitar with humbuckers.
if at all possible go to a guitar shop and take some time t play as many different guitars as you can. this will be the best way for you to figure out what style of guitar is most comfortable for you. of course getting a guitar that works for the styles of music that you pay is also a good idea. ESP/LTD makes a wide range of guitars as does epiphone. both are good places to start. also don't be so worried about not being a good player so not being "worthy of a more expensive guitar. that's nonsense
Quote by frecebutmito
You shouldn't have bought that spider amp.You should have bought a vox or a blackstar,to begin with.If you dont play metal,yamaha pacifica or epiphone might be ok,but get a guitar with humbuckers.

Why shouldn't I have bought the spider amp? A lot of people (not just guitar center staff) but trust worthy people who are in some pretty good bands that my cousin knows said to get a good brand name amp with some effects to start with (line 6 spiders and peavy vypyrs). Anyways, yeah, I was definitely getting a guitar with humbuckers.

Quote by monwobobbo
if at all possible go to a guitar shop and take some time t play as many different guitars as you can. this will be the best way for you to figure out what style of guitar is most comfortable for you. of course getting a guitar that works for the styles of music that you pay is also a good idea. ESP/LTD makes a wide range of guitars as does epiphone. both are good places to start. also don't be so worried about not being a good player so not being "worthy of a more expensive guitar. that's nonsense

Yeah, I did and can go back to the guitar center near me and play all the different guitars I can but the thing is, I am so inexperienced I don't know exactly what "comfortable for me" would feel like. I do know I am not going to get a strat at this point because I prefer heavier rock over most other types. I will get something like that in the future just to mess around with and play stuff like RHCP, classic rock, rock on standard tuning and such. Literally all I know how to do is go to the store and say yeah those have two humbuckers like I was told to get but that is the extent of my knowledge of guitar technology. Questions I have is it worth me getting a trem and blocking or just right from the bang not getting one with a trem? And once I decide to do drop tuning on a guitar should I pretty much stay like that and keep it at Drop D, C, B and whatever else?
I bought my schecter hellraiser c1-fr for 375$ used and I love it. Probably be able to find one without a FR tremolo cheaper as it is a pain for beginners to tune. Before i bought it i was looking at an Ibanez RG450DX which is also a great inexpensive guitar to learn on. If you go with epiphone i would get an epiphone les paul tribute. It has gibson pickups in it along with some other great features like a gibson lp. Hope this helps.
Last edited by HarleyDC at Feb 27, 2016,
Quote by sanzz18
Why shouldn't I have bought the spider amp? A lot of people (not just guitar center staff) but trust worthy people who are in some pretty good bands that my cousin knows said to get a good brand name amp with some effects to start with (line 6 spiders and peavy vypyrs). Anyways, yeah, I was definitely getting a guitar with humbuckers.

Yeah, I did and can go back to the guitar center near me and play all the different guitars I can but the thing is, I am so inexperienced I don't know exactly what "comfortable for me" would feel like. I do know I am not going to get a strat at this point because I prefer heavier rock over most other types. I will get something like that in the future just to mess around with and play stuff like RHCP, classic rock, rock on standard tuning and such. Literally all I know how to do is go to the store and say yeah those have two humbuckers like I was told to get but that is the extent of my knowledge of guitar technology. Questions I have is it worth me getting a trem and blocking or just right from the bang not getting one with a trem? And once I decide to do drop tuning on a guitar should I pretty much stay like that and keep it at Drop D, C, B and whatever else?

ok well the only way to get experience is to do it. buying guitars should be way more about the hands and the ears than the eyes. beginners tend to shop with their eyes and of course just blindly buy a guitar similar to whatever guitar hero they are into. sometimes this works often not so much. when you try guitars does your hand feel good on the neck, design feel right and of course does it sound good. not every style of guitar suits every player. as much as i love the sound of a Les Paul they don't really work for me as a player (owned 2 couldn't bond with either, played many over the years) on the other hand i love strats as tehy work perfectly for me. (by the way they can do heavy rock check out my song Valley Of Gwangi link in profile)

trems probably are more of a distraction than useful to beginners. as for tunings well that depends going from say E to B may cause intonation issues so it depends on how guitar is set up. E to Drop D no biggie. the bigger the change the more likely you will have issues. guitars with trems are a pain in the ass to change tunings.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok well the only way to get experience is to do it. buying guitars should be way more about the hands and the ears than the eyes. beginners tend to shop with their eyes and of course just blindly buy a guitar similar to whatever guitar hero they are into. sometimes this works often not so much. when you try guitars does your hand feel good on the neck, design feel right and of course does it sound good. not every style of guitar suits every player. as much as i love the sound of a Les Paul they don't really work for me as a player (owned 2 couldn't bond with either, played many over the years) on the other hand i love strats as tehy work perfectly for me. (by the way they can do heavy rock check out my song Valley Of Gwangi link in profile)

trems probably are more of a distraction than useful to beginners. as for tunings well that depends going from say E to B may cause intonation issues so it depends on how guitar is set up. E to Drop D no biggie. the bigger the change the more likely you will have issues. guitars with trems are a pain in the ass to change tunings.

Yeah that is exactly what I am trying not to do is shop with my eyes. I actually don't pay attention to what guitar heros that I like play. I guess I will go back and try to do exactly as you say and feel and hear the guitars. I should have rephrased about the strat, I know that any good guitar (start) can play any type of music if you set it up right. People playing on Youtube definitely proves that. Thanks a lot for all your help man.
Quote by sanzz18
Yeah that is exactly what I am trying not to do is shop with my eyes. I actually don't pay attention to what guitar heros that I like play. I guess I will go back and try to do exactly as you say and feel and hear the guitars. I should have rephrased about the strat, I know that any good guitar (start) can play any type of music if you set it up right. People playing on Youtube definitely proves that. Thanks a lot for all your help man.

no problem. strats aren't for everyone and aren't the first choice for metal so no biggie. glad to hear that you are trying to keep an open mind. i've bought more than 1 guitar over the years that i never even considered because i sat down and tried one just cuz. my most recent one was a BC Rich Eagle, tried it and said hey this can cover my Les Paul needs tonally (can't play LPs for shit)
Quote by monwobobbo

With regards to the tuning, maybe it would be worth getting TS something like a Digitech Drop to handle that? The guitar stays is standard/drop D, and the pedal handles the rest.

Would certainly avoid the intonation issues.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by sanzz18

Well, it depends if you end up playing stuff in drop tunings. Depending on your budget, you could have a couple guitars that hone in on certain ones. I mean, the pedal can be an option, but depending on the tunings you use, it may not always be the best.

Used guitars can get you a nice axe for cheap, so for a thought.

If you're not going to use the trem bar, probably best to avoid it, especially anything with a floating bridge (Floyd Rose, Ibanez Edge, Kahler, etc). They're good investments if you need one, but if not seem to be a pain. I don't know how true it is, but I thought I read they can have trouble with thicker gauge strings, and said strings are recommended when using D Standard/Drop C and lower.

I just bought a couple guitars, and I went into Guitar Center regularly. I tried all sorts of brands to get my own impressions of them. Dirt cheap, mid-range...some 7's and even an Ibanez RG8. Tried them multiple times. I tried a genuine Fender strat to see how it felt comparable to my budget Squire. I didn't notice everything at first, but over time, I got a better understanding of how things felt. I remember a Jackson JS32Q had a neck that felt really good, so I played around with various Jacksons over time. I also played with a Schecter Demon 7, which made me want to go down the Schecter route for a guitar. The BC Rich Mockingbird had an odd design, but felt very comfortable when I sat down with it on my lap. You can like more than one guitar too.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Last edited by bjgrifter at Feb 28, 2016,
no problem. strats aren't for everyone and aren't the first choice for metal so no biggie. glad to hear that you are trying to keep an open mind. i've bought more than 1 guitar over the years that i never even considered because i sat down and tried one just cuz. my most recent one was a BC Rich Eagle, tried it and said hey this can cover my Les Paul needs tonally (can't play LPs for shit)

Thanks again.

With regards to the tuning, maybe it would be worth getting TS something like a Digitech Drop to handle that? The guitar stays is standard/drop D, and the pedal handles the rest.

Would certainly avoid the intonation issues.

Very interesting. I am new to all the electronics and effect pedals. I did not know they made one to drop your tuning without having to tune away from standard/drop d.

Well, it depends if you end up playing stuff in drop tunings. Depending on your budget, you could have a couple guitars that hone in on certain ones. I mean, the pedal can be an option, but depending on the tunings you use, it may not always be the best.

Used guitars can get you a nice axe for cheap, so for a thought.

If you're not going to use the trem bar, probably best to avoid it, especially anything with a floating bridge (Floyd Rose, Ibanez Edge, Kahler, etc). They're good investments if you need one, but if not seem to be a pain. I don't know how true it is, but I thought I read they can have trouble with thicker gauge strings, and said strings are recommended when using D Standard/Drop C and lower.

I just bought a couple guitars, and I went into Guitar Center regularly. I tried all sorts of brands to get my own impressions of them. Dirt cheap, mid-range...some 7's and even an Ibanez RG8. Tried them multiple times. I tried a genuine Fender strat to see how it felt comparable to my budget Squire. I didn't notice everything at first, but over time, I got a better understanding of how things felt. I remember a Jackson JS32Q had a neck that felt really good, so I played around with various Jacksons over time. I also played with a Schecter Demon 7, which made me want to go down the Schecter route for a guitar. The BC Rich Mockingbird had an odd design, but felt very comfortable when I sat down with it on my lap. You can like more than one guitar too.

Yeah, I have been looking at used guitars as well as Stock B ESPs on eBay that are brand new. What is your take on Stock B guitars? I just took a look at the Schecters and they are really nice and not badly priced either.

I can't wait to go back to guitar center and spend some QT with some of these guitars and pay attention to the other aspects rather than just looks and such.
Quote by sanzz18
Thanks again.

Very interesting. I am new to all the electronics and effect pedals. I did not know they made one to drop your tuning without having to tune away from standard/drop d.

Yeah, I have been looking at used guitars as well as Stock B ESPs on eBay that are brand new. What is your take on Stock B guitars? I just took a look at the Schecters and they are really nice and not badly priced either.

I can't wait to go back to guitar center and spend some QT with some of these guitars and pay attention to the other aspects rather than just looks and such.

B stock guitar are usually just fine but have a ding or blemish that prevents them from being sold as normal stock. if i bought one i'd want to know what caused it to be B stock before buying to make sure i could live with it.
Quote by sanzz18

You'll find most people here will recommend the Peavey Vyper amps over Line6, and I'd be one of them.

If you can try them both you'll probably agree, I had a 2x12 Spider 3 it sounded OK until you put a little volume to it then it became very thin. I've also known several people who have had quality issues with the Spyders again including myself. I had a close friend that bought a Spider IV and it crapped out in 3 months, the replacement lasted 8 months,the second replacement had issues in just over 6, the third replacement he sold as soon as he got it. If your happy with it when it arrives then keep it but I'd definitely try a Peavey you may find yourself returning the Line6!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Two weeks ago i bought a brand new Esp ltd ec-1000 and i play through a vypyr and all i can say its the best se up to find your tone cause its offer a large variation of tone!
-Esp Ltd Ec-1000 blk (EMG 60/81)
-Peavey vypyr vip 1
Quote by frecebutmito

Second that.
As far as line 6 and peavey goes, I haven't had success in the tones and quality of these amps. Personally, I like to spend a little more into my amps than my guitars. Vox has a 15 wat 2X12 thats spectacular for only $800
messed up big with the line 6.

as for a good heavy rock humbucker guitar, that ain't too expensive, i would probably pick a kramer.
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Line 6 does a lot of good products, but the non valve spiders aren't really among them.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
I would not drop money on a ESP if I had a Spider amp.

Look at LTD (The cheaper version of ESP) for the same stylings but at a more sutable price for the amp. They are decent enough guitars, I used to own a couple but I found I prefer Ibanez for super strats and a Les Paul to an EC.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I really loved my Epiphone Nighthawk custom reissue. It's nice for a beginner guitar because its sound is very versatile. It can sound like a Les Paul or like a Strat, and has some of the advantages of both with the comfort and scale of a Strat but the sustain of a Les Paul.

It's the perfect comfortable guitar to noodle around with while you figure out what sound you like and what you like to play. The neck width is a bit thinner too and makes barre chords that much easier.

You can't go wrong with an Ibanez either. The Gio series is alright in terms of quality very affordable. The super thin, matte finish Ibanez necks make it much easier for your fretting hand to learn barre chords and slides while you build strength and dexterity.
Quote by drewwinkles
As far as line 6 and peavey goes, I haven't had success in the tones and quality of these amps. Personally, I like to spend a little more into my amps than my guitars. Vox has a 15 wat 2X12 thats spectacular for only $800

Agreed I got rid of the Line 6 which I only bought after having to sell all of my gear and dropping out for about 5 years, personally I don't like any of the modelling amps (maybe the Kemper) they just don't sound right to me I gotsa have valves I have 120w 6505+ half stack that rocks but is seldom played and my main amp is a Mesa Dual Recto Roadster 2X12 combo
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

When I started playing, I had a couple cheap Chinese-made Epiphones and a cheap Chinese-made Ibanez acoustic. I did not like the overall quality of any of them. They had intonation and fret buzz issues even after set ups, and the sound I was getting from the pickups on the electrics was real gutless. I would be very wary about getting a Chinese-made Epiphone electric (though for acoustics, I did play an Epiphone Masterbilt that seemed very nice).

I now have a "cheap" Agile 3100, basically a Les Paul clone, made in Korea, and was super-impressed by the little extras -- graphite nut & bridge, ebony fretboard, etc. For a set-neck Les Paul type at that price, the specs were amazing and the reviews were great. The frets were nicely dressed, and I love the tone from the pickups. A lot of people say they swap out the pickups, but I have not felt the need for that. For the same price as an Epiphone, I think it's much better. Maybe Koreans are ahead of China in terms of guitar-making quality, which would indirectly support buying a PRS SE, since those are Korean-made, too.

Apart from the Agile, I have a few other "go-to" guitars, and they are all used Japanese-made from the 80s. You can find a TON of hidden gems from that time period for very cheap. I'm partial to Japanese-made Yamahas and anything made at the Matsumoku factory. For the same price as a new Epiphone, you can get a lot more bang for the buck on a used 80s Aria or Westone or Vantage or Yamaha IMO. And more character.

It's also more environmentally friendly -- Reuse, Repurpose, and Recycle. The best way to conserve nature is to use what's already there rather than getting new stuff built and throwing perfectly good old stuff in a landfill. There are so many great used guitars floating around, I think it's really sad when people pay money for new, cheaply made guitars. I mean, if it's something you just cannot find any other way, sure buy it new (like a Les Paul clone with set neck with ebony fretboard and graphite nut & bridge), but otherwise, go used.

And as long as you don't overpay, you can usually sell a used guitar for what you paid if you decide you don't want to keep it. I've bought about 20 used guitars online in the last couple years, sort of "buy to try" from Ebay and Craigslist and Reverb.com and Music-Go-Round. This bucks the conventional wisdom that you should play a guitar before you buy it. But because I did my homework and only bought guitars that were at a reasonable price, I was able to re-sell them for what I paid and a little more to cover shipping costs, and overall broke even. This allowed me to try a lot of different types of guitars at home, with my own amps and pedals, for as long as I wanted, at essentially no cost. You won't get that deal buying a new guitar at the local shop.
Bernie Sanders for President!
I wouldn't knock Epiphones just for being made in China, mine is and it is a damn good guitar.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb