I was wondering how many of you play other instruments than the standard guitar music staples. I'm sure half of you probably sing or play piano, but what about other stuff?

I play mandolin, bluegrass banjo, Irish tenor banjo, lap steel guitar, pedal steel guitar, fiddle, keyboard (synth), tin whistle, didgeridoo, and ocarina. There are other instruments that I don't have but can play because they play nearly identically to some of those instruments such as Irish bouzouki/cittern/octave mandolin, plectrum banjo, mandola, mandocello, cello banjo, etc. Basically all of those are the same as playing a mandolin or tenor banjo more or less.

I also would like to learn many other instruments such as kora, guzheng, guqin, morin khuur, bağlama, uilleann pipes, cello, alpine zither, accordion, etc but am unable due to constraints on time, size (space), cost, and limited availability. It is difficult to obtain many foreign instruments outside of their relative countries and I don't know enough about instrument quality to be willing to sink good money into an imported instrument I know nothing about in terms of playing, construction, manufacturers, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I can't really afford other instruments even though I'd like to. I have access to an ocarina and some other cool little instruments pretty regularly, but I'm not even close to proficient with them.

I'd love to start upright bass. I love the instrument, but they're very expensive, and probably way difficult. I can still dream.

I'm also interested in other stringed instruments. Lute, banjo and sitar are some I'd like to play. I'd also like to learn a proper wind instrument. And I guess, as a Finnish person, I'd like to learn some stuff on Kantele.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I basically play anything vaguely resembling a guitar that I can get my hands on. While I was teaching myself guitar, I also taught myself banjo (tenor and 5-string), ukulele, mandolin, violin and bass, because they were all dead easy (I borrowed them from other fellow band members before I bought my own). Violin was the hardest because of the bowing.
I bought a Portuguese laud - a kind of steel-string lute - in a street market and learned that (I didn't know what it was, it just looked cool). Not exactly tricky if you tune it like a guitar...
This was all back in the 1960s. I really wanted a sitar (well, it WAS the 1960s....) but couldn't afford one.
And funds (and other contingencies) have prevented me amassing a bigger collection of string instruments since. (I envy the OP, naturally. Yeah I could play all those if you gimme them! )
Cuban tres was a relatively recent addition.

Apart from string instruments, I also play piano (not very well) and drums (ditto). And simple wind instruments like recorder and Irish whistle, again to barely average skill levels. I tried sax once - couldn't even get a note out of it.
Singing... no, not really. It was my lack of vocal skills that led me to pursue music by other means in the first place.
Trumpet is my "main instrument", started it when I was 7. Right now I'm relearning my technique...

My bass and guitar playing sounds good enough for band playing and recording my own demos.

My piano/keyboards and drum playing is pretty poor - still, I would say I could fake my way through in a band and I have actually played a couple of gigs as a drummer.

My goal would be being able to play all (pop/rock) band instruments at a decent level.

I can sing in tune but my technique is not great. Never really practiced singing. I have sung in a choir, and been the lead vocalist in a band when nobody else could/wanted to sing.

Oh, and Kevätuhri mentioned kantele... When I was a child, I went to music play school where we played the 5 string kantele. But yeah, can't really say I can play it well. We only learned to play some basic melodies and two or three chords. And of course we also played some recorder in school...
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Primarily guitar for me (electric and acoustic), and bass. Tried keyboards for awhile, I understand the instrument, voicings etc, but just can't coordinate properly on that. In the end I decided to try and master one instrument (guitar). But I'll listen tio anything.

That's a very long list for you Kirsten. That's cool!
All fretted stringed instruments, keys, and drums.

I LOOOVE me some drums.

Also I dunno if like weird synth electronic stuff and electronic devices count.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
My first instrument was trumpet and I played that from early grammar school right into college. I wasn't bad but there wasn't much opportunity to continue playing it and it's the kind of insrtument you have to keep playing regularly or you lose it fast (breath, lip). I also have basic keyboard skills and with a little practice I'm an OK but very straight drummer.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Guitar, slide guitar, lap steel, bass, drums and a little keyboards, learned everything int he band room in high school, except oboe and bassoon...double reeds were too expensive.

I currently have 2 saxes, one out of commission, 2 xylophones, old 70's Wurlitzer electric piano, Artley Flute, 6 or 7 guitars and 3 or 4 recorders.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
The only other thing I play regularly and proficiently are my ukuleles. I don't practice enough with my lap slide, or my cigar box guitar. I enjoy playing the drums when I get the chance.
I can also play a basic harmonica, and used to play the ocarina, and I never practiced my didgeridoo enough to enjoy it.
Honestly with didgeridoo if you can learn it well enough that you can play it for a girl and have her tell you that she wants you to do that to her, you should be fine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I play piano and sing, yeah.

I think drums are the instrument for me, but I haven't had the space to play them properly for the past few years. I recently bought some bongos and I'm enjoying the shit out of them. Plus drummers get so many gigs its irritating!

Mandolin is next on my list of instruments to buy. I love picking away at the mandolin. Irish trad just bleeds from it.
I can make a recorder make noises but I wouldnt say I play the recorder. I would only say I play an instrument if I can play all 7 modes to all 12 keys and all basic 7th chords on that particular instrument, thus I only play guitar and piano. Drums are pretty fun too, but I havent had time or money to buy random exotic instruments. I just set my keyboard to Banjo and now it sounds like i paly the banjo lol. I would like to learn how to play the saxophone one day, but still, not very exotic.
Yeah but what about monophonic or keyed instruments (either chromatic but heavily keyed or strictly diatonic)? Can't play 12 scales or 7th chords on the Highland pipes, now can you?
You can't. Do other instruments use their own set of scales and chords? I think most instruments can belt out the basic pentatonic scale cant they?
Just guitar.

I played piano but that's gone now.

Just ordered a mandolin so that'll be fun. My sister plays the voilin, so I'm familiar with the tuning. I suck at bowing.

I need to buy a Uke for dat lesson money. People want to play them for some reason. Just play a guitar lol
I consider that I can play an insteument if I know it well enough to play it in a band.

So for me it's just guitar, bass and mandolin. I can tinker with other instruments but I couldn't jump in with a band and play along on them, at least not well
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I would only say I play an instrument if I can play all 7 modes to all 12 keys and all basic 7th chords on that particular instrument

I would say you can play an instrument if you can handle some nice tunes on it and maybe jam with others. I don't really think that knowledge in modes really matter if you play pop or punk or rock, at least it's not a bare necessity.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
You can't. Do other instruments use their own set of scales and chords? I think most instruments can belt out the basic pentatonic scale cant they?

Yeah, except drums, other percussions, instruments with less than 5 tones, etc etc.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Feb 29, 2016,
I have an Oscar Schmidt ukelele which I regrettably haven't played much, a Seagull Merlin dulcimer which I really like, a harmonica (which is fun but I'm pretty bad at it) and my guitars. I've found there is a little bit of "carry over" on strings, which is very cool. I've never had lessons on the dulcimer but am able to play it anyway

I've always admired a well played piano but never had a desire to play. That's a little weird, huh?
Quote by Kevätuhri
I would say you can play an instrument if you can handle some nice tunes on it and maybe jam with others. I don't really think that knowledge in modes really matter if you play pop or punk or rock, at least it's not a bare necessity.

Yeah, I think it's more about being able to make music with that instrument. For example if you had to play it in a band, could you do it?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
My main and primary instrument is the guitar.

As for other instruments that I can play? I have a ukulele from Christmas that I occasionally mess around with. It was pretty easy to pick up, figure out the chords and how to play scales for improv from a guitarist's stand-point. I also used to play violin from elementary through high school, though I never had and interest in getting my own.

Instruments that I want to learn include are bass (more or less techniques on it that aren't commonplace on guitar like slapping/popping), piano/keyboard, mandolin, and sitar. The only thing I've weary about is finding a means to learn sitar as well as finding more Indian music involving sitar. (If anyone has recommendations, let me know)
Skip the username, call me Billy
Piano. Well . . . the used-to piano as it is turning out. I grew up in a house with a gorgeous piano (my mom plays, still). I started playing both guitar and piano at the same time, age 8. But I don't have a piano in this house; there is simply no room for one (I wish there was). So I haven't tickled the ivories in a few years. Which sucks.

There probably would be room for a small piano in this hut if it weren't for seven acoustics, two electrics, a bass and a stack of amps cluttering up the joint.

Great thread, btw.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Awesome man!
I double on Uke (incredibly easy) mandolin, banjo (chicago style, could play a tenor if there was a gun to my head), and electric bass. Definitely the biggest issue I find is balancing my time (and mostly prioritizing...recently I've been focusing on being excellent as a guitarist and proficient in all 12 keys and able to read and get the stereotypical sounds on the others), and not playing every instrument like a guitar (mostly phrasing wise). Most of what I've gleaned from talking to other instrumentalists who double is that first they find a niche, and then learn all the doubles that are sort of adjacent to it stylistically, if that makes sense.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
i play a bit of banjo but i've been hella out of practice

also sold my N/S stick a few months back, so that's kinda a bummer

Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Mar 1, 2016,
^Swipe right, gals.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
hail if you are ever in my area and want your ass to bleed hmu

jk not really