I have been doing some research on them and have been curious if I got a fake a while back. I got it off Ebay for 70$, barely used. Looked fine.

But recently I have been worrying myself. So help me out. I would take pictures but you have seen them all already, if you know about the fake/real SM57 stuff. And outwardly my 57 looks very similar to my friend's 57's, and I know his are legit.

A few clues that concern me:

The XLR connection at the bottom has an A at the top. What I have read is that A is not a common 57 marking there.

The inside, small board on the capsule side is white, and labeled NF in white. From what I see the board is usually brown/orange and the writing is stamped in red.

There is no serial code on the inside, near the threading.

The writing on the grill looks thinner, more like the "fakes" I see in articles compared to the real 57's.

However:

The box I got for it does note a serial number, looks like it was made 2014/06/12, denoted Made in Mexico, denotes Mic clip, bag, and tie as included accessories, which were included.

I got warranty and registrations slips as well.

The diaphragm read 18.6 ohms.

The wires are green and yellow.
---
I am waiting on that friend I mentioned earlier to get back from a trip before I do an audio and better visual comparison. But any suggestions on whether or not I got a fake or not, to help ease my mind?

Thanks so much.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 27, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
The box I got for it does note a serial number, looks like it was made 2014/06/12, denoted Made in Mexico, denotes Mic clip, bag, and tie as included accessories, which were included.

The fake SM57s on ebay do have those, they're pretty convincing fakes. Usually contain a full package. Just saying that that is not in any way indicative of an authentic product. Also, fake SM57 are up on ebay all the time, so I wouldn't recommend you buy them from there.

As far as that particular mic being fake, sorry, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you. Just know that there is a good chance it is fake, and I didn't spot anything obvious that would prove it authentic from your description.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
It's so hard to see any difference. You'd think that with all the care they use to make them look so good they could put in a good capsule and make it sound good. Another thing I heard as a tell tale sign of the fakes is that on the bottom where you plug in the XLR cable it should be on on solid piece around the edge of the microphone. If it's a fake, they have two ridges, one inside the other. See this link.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8347.0
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Sorry for the bump.

Still waiting to do audio comparisons. But I have checked between my friend's 57's (I didn't have time nor my 57 to do audio comparison), as well as a 57 from the store I work at, and it seems that the more recent production of 57's have the same white/light green boards and light stamping rather than the orange board and red stamping I had seen on the internet. Writing looks identical on the grill.
Yes, I have seen them up close and they do a great job on the fake mics. The boxes and paperwork (instructions, guarantees, serial numbers) all look perfectly legit. I tested a friends Shure 87A condenser against my 87A. He bought his on Ebay for half the normal price and not only did it sound bad it wasn't even a condenser mic like a real 87A is. The box and the microphone looked and felt perfect but when I turned off the phantom power on the board my mic stopped working and his didn't. His 87A had a cheap dynamic capsule in it.

I understand that SM58, Beta 58 and all modals of the Shure 87 are one of most faked items on Ebay and Amazon. Unfortunately this has been going on for a number of years now and they are working their way into the used market.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 1, 2016,
Best way to find out is to try recording drums with it. If the audio peaks, and you can't get it to mid level, then it's probably a lesser quality mic. The SM57 can easily handle drums in recording.
^Yeah I am hoping I can do some comparisons with it soon. I have recorded quite a bit with the 57 I have (fake or not), you can check out a lot of it from the link in my signature. The 2016 Rig Rundown is probably the best quality I have done recently.

It has been used to mic loud guitar cabs and drums at one time and I can always get it to a reasonable gain level, although maybe some of the discrepancies I have been hearing are due to the fake 57. I am using budget software though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 2, 2016,
Well I did the comparison with the music store's stock SM57 and mine and I could not tell a difference. I looped a short progression on an electric guitar with a looper pedal and it sounded identical. I did hear some odd popping on both mics but that was the cable/gain staging methinks. I also checked voice and wind-capsule saturation and it sounded identical.

So either I have a fake SM57 which the bootleggers copied exactly, or I have a real SM57. Visually the two seem very similar and feel to be the same weight.
Quote by Will Lane
Well I did the comparison with the music store's stock SM57 and mine and I could not tell a difference. I looped a short progression on an electric guitar with a looper pedal and it sounded identical. I did hear some odd popping on both mics but that was the cable/gain staging methinks. I also checked voice and wind-capsule saturation and it sounded identical.

So either I have a fake SM57 which the bootleggers copied exactly, or I have a real SM57. Visually the two seem very similar and feel to be the same weight.

You have a real SM57. Stop driving yourself crazy thinking of ways that it could possibly be a fake and just enjoy it
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite