Friend of mine is looking for an amp. He currently has a Fender Deville with 6l6 tubes. The guy is a UFO Michael Schenker, Rush, etc type rocker though. I was suggesting he might need an EL-34 setup to get that sound he loves.

I was thinking about recommending the Marshall DSL40C as a good budget option. Any thoughts?
whats the budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i wouldn't blame the tubes as much as the circuit. (which is very mid scooped in comparison to the traditional EL34 amps)

a jet city 50 watt head can do those tones in stride, and has 6L6's.

and costs $399 on musicians friend right now? wow. when did those price drop?

maybe the JC50H and a decent 2x12 cab.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 28, 2016,
here is a JCM800 50watt combo for $599 at GC most are $900+ I have seen. I would jump on that for what your friend wants. Hit it with a boost pedal to get the harder rock styles
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/4210-JCM800-50W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

Way better choice than the DSL40c
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
here is a JCM800 50watt combo for $599 at GC most are $900+ I have seen. I would jump on that for what your friend wants. Hit it with a boost pedal to get the harder rock styles
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/4210-JCM800-50W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

Way better choice than the DSL40c

That was a 4210. They are a horrible amp. That's the one with that dreadful diode clipping and just a 10" speaker. The DSL is a better amp. Personally I'd be looking for a real DSL. ie a JCM2000 DSL100/50
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II and a Marshall DSL40C. I personally prefer the Fender, but the Marshall is a nice amp, with a usable clean channel it is quite versatile. Tones that I get out of it are AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Metallica in the early years.
Quote by Seriden
Friend of mine is looking for an amp. He currently has a Fender Deville with 6l6 tubes. The guy is a UFO Michael Schenker, Rush, etc type rocker though. I was suggesting he might need an EL-34 setup to get that sound he loves.

It's not the tubes; it's the amp's tone stack.
Quote by Cathbard
That was a 4210. They are a horrible amp. That's the one with that dreadful diode clipping and just a 10" speaker. The DSL is a better amp. Personally I'd be looking for a real DSL. ie a JCM2000 DSL100/50

I didn't know that

Yeah a JCM2000 DSL would do right. even the DSL401 would work fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Gab_Azz
I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II and a Marshall DSL40C. I personally prefer the Fender, but the Marshall is a nice amp, with a usable clean channel it is quite versatile. Tones that I get out of it are AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Metallica in the early years.

Yeah, I don't own a Marshall but have been tempted by the DSL40C myself. I actually have two higher end amps (both boogies, one a tremoverb with 34s) but for some reason the DSL40C seemed like it would be fun to own. I know its not in the price range of the JVMs.
Quote by gregs1020
i wouldn't blame the tubes as much as the circuit. (which is very mid scooped in comparison to the traditional EL34 amps)

a jet city 50 watt head can do those tones in stride, and has 6L6's.

and costs $399 on musicians friend right now? wow. when did those price drop?

maybe the JC50H and a decent 2x12 cab.

I really need to score a 2x12 cab so I can jump on head deals like that. Goals for 2016 I guess!
Quote by Gab_Azz
Presumably the Fender would do cleans better than the Marshall, and the Marshall would do drive better than the Fender, but then again I have not had hands-on experience with both amps. But yes, the amp I first think of when listing those bands and the ones in the OP is Marshall, or at least something more high-gain.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 1, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I really need to score a 2x12 cab so I can jump on head deals like that. Goals for 2016 I guess!Presumably the Fender would do cleans better than the Marshall, and the Marshall would do drive better than the Fender, but then again I have not had hands-on experience with both amps. But yes, the amp I first think of when listing those bands and the ones in the OP is Marshall, or at least something more high-gain.

I mentioned the Fender HRD as it is similar to the deville. I think that the DSL40C is a nice midprice tube amp with high gain Marshall sound. It has some flaws, and a cheap speaker which is easy to replace, but overall it is a great gigging amp.
Hello TS.. The Marshall DSL40C is a great amp, but only if you change the speaker. The original Celestion seventy 80 sounds horrible, it just kills the amp.

I just bought the DSL40C and i changed the speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30. Suddenly it sounds like a Marshall again.
Quote by CaptainChris90
Hello TS.. The Marshall DSL40C is a great amp, but only if you change the speaker. The original Celestion seventy 80 sounds horrible, it just kills the amp.

I just bought the DSL40C and i changed the speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30. Suddenly it sounds like a Marshall again.

How much did it cost to do that? Did you do it yourself or have it done professionally? Is that a standard mod for this amp? Is there a higher end version of this amp that comes with the Vintage 30, or perhaps there may be a head version where you just get the cab I suppose?
I am actually wondering if this is just not a case for getting a Sansamp GT-2 or Classic pedal or something like the Carl Martin Plexi and running that through the clean Fender amp?
$200 and he's done, still keeping a great amp. Those pedals sound fantastic, I can vouch for that.
Quote by diabolical
I am actually wondering if this is just not a case for getting a Sansamp GT-2 or Classic pedal or something like the Carl Martin Plexi and running that through the clean Fender amp?
$200 and he's done, still keeping a great amp. Those pedals sound fantastic, I can vouch for that.

I'd definitely look at the Wampler series of pedals (from the Plextortion to the Plexi-drive, etc.). Those things will take a nice clean Fender and make it Marshally mean and nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9JPoyPWzDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xowurjgYZzM
Quote by Seriden
How much did it cost to do that? Did you do it yourself or have it done professionally? Is that a standard mod for this amp? Is there a higher end version of this amp that comes with the Vintage 30, or perhaps there may be a head version where you just get the cab I suppose?

When i bought it i had the dealer do it for me, but its really easy to do it yourself. The DSL combos dont come with the V30, but there is a version that comes with a creamback.
There are 2 heads i think, a 15W(dosent come with a effects loop) and a 100(that has a effects loop) So you could buy a V30 loaded cab and just get the head, but that would cost more.
Quote by CaptainChris90
When i bought it i had the dealer do it for me, but its really easy to do it yourself. The DSL combos dont come with the V30, but there is a version that comes with a creamback.
There are 2 heads i think, a 15W(dosent come with a effects loop) and a 100(that has a effects loop) So you could buy a V30 loaded cab and just get the head, but that would cost more.

The older JCM2000 DSL series are better amps and are quite cheap used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've owned the old JCM 2000 and i must say the new DSL are better overall, but you need to know how to tweak them. The clean/crunch on the old Jcm2000 sucked donkeyass.
Quote by CaptainChris90
I've owned the old JCM 2000 and i must say the new DSL are better overall, but you need to know how to tweak them. The clean/crunch on the old Jcm2000 sucked donkeyass.

You have obviously not played a proper working JCM DSL then. The new DSL can be tweaked, but you can get a used JCM for cheaper and it is a better amp on all channels and modes.

And there are plenty of pro players that use just the classic channel on them with good results like Gary Moore and Joe Bonamassa to name a couple.

Is it the right amp for everyone, not at all but at it's price point and sound quality for that Marshal sound, it is really hard to top
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes i have dude. There are differences between the old and new, but the new isnt a bad amp.

He can buy the new or the old and still get a great amp, but i think the new one has a better clean channel.
I've played on a stage running both a new DSL100 and a JCM2000 DSL100, both running through stock 1960A cabs. The JCM2000 kicked the new one's arse totally. No contest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've played on a stage running both a new DSL100 and a JCM2000 DSL100, both running through stock 1960A cabs. The JCM2000 kicked the new one's arse totally. No contest.

Any experience with the JCM2000 DSL401 (the combo)?
Quote by Seriden
Any experience with the JCM2000 DSL401 (the combo)?

it is a nice combo, but it is a little different than the DSL100 and 50
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 401 is a better blues amp. They are quite different amps especially if you are driving them into power amp distortion. I am a fan of EL84 breakup though.
But the main difference is that the 40C is Chinese and the 401 is English - and you can tell. The 401 uses higher quality components and is simply built better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The 401 is a better blues amp. They are quite different amps especially if you are driving them into power amp distortion. I am a fan of EL84 breakup though.
But the main difference is that the 40C is Chinese and the 401 is English - and you can tell. The 401 uses higher quality components and is simply built better.

Oh, the 401 is an EL84 amp. Got it. I would probably stick with the 40C as I like the EL34s better based on my own experience.
Quote by Seriden
Oh, the 401 is an EL84 amp. Got it. I would probably stick with the 40C as I like the EL34s better based on my own experience.

It has to more with the preamp of the circuit not the power section (tube type) being used

I have a Krank 1980Jr which is a hot rod JCM 800 type circuit and it uses 6L6 tubes and sounds very british
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 6, 2016,
The DSL40C is an all rounder amp with a good clean channel, nice crunch tone, and also good distortion channel. It is an amp you buy as a first tube amp to improve over anything more in the beginner level. This amp would give you versatility with the range of tones available. You can use it in any situation if you have this amp only.