Hello,

I'm interested in adding another dirt pedal to my chain in order to get some good, British, Marshall tones. I found out that there are many pedals on the super cheap side of things (<$60 USD used) that claim to do these sorts of things, but I have no idea where they rank among each other and which one would be the best. Here are the ones I've found grouped by what they seem to be aiming for:

Plexi tones and clones: Joyo Golden Face, Joyo Hot Plexi, Tomsline Plexion, Tone City Golden Plexi

MI Audio Crunch Box clones: Mooer Cruncher, Joyo Crunch Distortion, Joyo Deluxe Crunch, Hotone Chunk

Other/Unidentified: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Bluesbreaker II, Marshall Jackhammer, Joyo British Sound

I play a Les Paul-style guitar into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (which is right away probably going to eliminate several of these pedals), and my favorite Marshall players are Joe Satriani, Eric Clapton, SRV, and AC/DC. With this all in mind, which of the above pedals or another that I am not aware of do you think would be the best for me and others in this situation?

Thanks!
While the tone city golden plexi is aimed to be a plexi, it actually rocks the Marshall High gain sound but not so much the subtler crunch sound. With the gain on it quite low you could probably get an AC/DC-ish sound but it really excels at marshall high gain type tone which I think sounds pretty sweet. The tone city also has the Model M which is a slightly more expensive, but still cheap for what it is, pedal that can do some of the more subtle crunch tones you might look for in a plexi. I don't think it really goes as high gain as the golden plexi though.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Why not throw in a few extra bucks and get the actual Crunch Box used? Its an impressive pedal. I use a Fender flavored amp and even with single coils its instant Marshall-y, growly, crunchy awesome!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
GFS Brownie is a decent cheap Marshall in a box $50
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by diabolical
Guvnor or Jackhammer should do it as a front of a tube amp. The Carl Martin Plexi is awesome, that's as close as it gets but it is not the price you're looking at

I agree about the Marshall pedals. Meanwhile, Guv'nor gives a warm overdriven sound while the Jackhammer is more often on the distortion side (more clipped).
Quote by diabolical
Guvnor or Jackhammer should do it as a front of a tube amp.

These are good when they're switched on, but those Marshall pedals have an awful bypass that kills your tone when not in use.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the joyo hot plexi is a bit of a one-trick pony- it basically does early van halen tones (and maybe barely even as heavy as that) and can be very bright. but if it suits your amp it sounds great. but one trick pony.

as sasquatchjosh said, you need to be careful with the names- i haven't tried them but some of those other "plexi"-type pedals you've listed are actually supposed to be a lot higher gain.

i'm not sure the bluesbreaker really sounds that marshally but it might work well for srv.

big problem is with that range of tones, multiple pedals, unless you're willing to do a lot of tweaking on the fly, might be the easiest route.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there were some (very speculative) speculations on the freestompboxes site that the joyo hot plexi might be a clone of the superlead (not sure which one, and I haven't tried the lovepedal version so that's very much hearsay).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Should I also consider the GGG MGV Guv'nor clone kit for $60? I don't mind building it myself, but does it sound good for that high gain Marshall tone?
the original guvnor has a good rep, as far as i'm aware, but i haven't tried it. a lot of the more recent well-regarded MIAB pedals are based on them, too (e.g. crunchbox, to a lesser extent the suhr riot, etc..)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?