Hi! "Obligatory Murder" is a mix of classic death metal with modern elements of metalcore. The riffs are heavy and dirty, so I hope that fans of death metal appreciate this. The song is not really fast (175 bpm) but this tempo add some heaviness to the song.
Tell me what you think about it!

SoundCloud

YouTube
It's a nice song really. But I'm not a big fan of the mix. It does let you hear all the instruments clearly, but still I think cymbals are bit to loud, drums sound very unnatural. I'd also bring down the low end off bass guitar down a bit. Don't think of this as an assault, it's just some constructive criticism. Song is still very good (although I was expecting some vocals too, to be honest haha).
Quote by JackovSlayer
It's a nice song really. But I'm not a big fan of the mix. It does let you hear all the instruments clearly, but still I think cymbals are bit to loud, drums sound very unnatural. I'd also bring down the low end off bass guitar down a bit. Don't think of this as an assault, it's just some constructive criticism. Song is still very good (although I was expecting some vocals too, to be honest haha).

Thank you for your opinion! I'm glad you like the riffs. I appreciate this. I'm still beginner and still have a lot of problems with mixing and mastering. I also hear what you hear but I can't do it sounds good ;/ Unfortunately I'm not good at vocals, but maybe my friend will recording something to this song
Quote by JackovSlayer
We've all been there, it's all good. What did you use for drums? Just curious.

Steven Slate Drums
"Obligatory Murder" is an energetic, groovy track. Your guitar tone is gritty but still very articulate. I liked the breakdown section for 1:34 to about 1:55. The riffs in this track are pretty catchy, but I felt there was a lack of lead playing here which was a bit disappointing. I was hoping the build-up that starts up at about 3:14 would lead to an outro solo. I think this track might also benefit from the addition of vocals.

Could you please check out my track at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1697746 ?
If 175bpm is not fast then what... 398bpm is? Not every song can be 398bpm.

Well I like how there are no frequencies tearing my ears apart when I put the volume loud. I think the bass is a little loud. The rhythm seems a little muddy but I think that is caused from the bass over powering it.

I like the kick drum, it is really punchy and goes right through me. The other parts I cannot say I like so much. The cymbals and hats need to be lowered a little. The snare drum sound could probably be different, looking for more crack instead of this dull thud.

I like the song, usually not a fan of core elements but I didn't find anything in the song that made me cringe. However, I really do think it needs vocals over it, as it stands as an instrumental now probably won't do it.
@silvadolla
Thank you for the review. I'm glad you like it. Sure I can check your track

@apothegm
Haha, no. I mean that the song is not as fast as classic death metal I guess, but maybe I'm wrong ;p You are right with the bass, but I have a problem with it, because the bass is very loud when playing high notes, but when the bass is playing low notes (ex. 0 fret) there is no bass at all, and I had to set voulme litte higher. I'm trying to do it right. Thanks for advices with drums, I think I can do that.

Sorry for my english ;p
Quote by metalcracker95
@silvadolla
Thank you for the review. I'm glad you like it. Sure I can check your track

@apothegm
Haha, no. I mean that the song is not as fast as classic death metal I guess, but maybe I'm wrong ;p You are right with the bass, but I have a problem with it, because the bass is very loud when playing high notes, but when the bass is playing low notes (ex. 0 fret) there is no bass at all, and I had to set voulme litte higher. I'm trying to do it right. Thanks for advices with drums, I think I can do that.

Sorry for my english ;p

What do you use for monitoring? Also, for cutting through the mix and not just being a muddy loose low end, bass usually needs some post-processing.
the drum fills are too artificial. does your DAW have a humanize function? not every hit should be exactly the same volume and perfectly snapped to grid. the snare could use a bit more verb on it, it sounds really dry to me. i'm not really feeling the ride section at 3:22, is there a different sample you could use? the cymbals in general are a little too high in the mix. also remember that a real drummer can't blast at the same volume as the rest of his playing, so lower the velocity of the hits in the blasting section to sound a little more natural

i think the bass is too loud; what's the eq'ing look like on bass and guitar?

that aside, your track has a lot of energy and some good riffs, i'd be interested to hear vocals on top of it.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698118
Last edited by rky at Mar 6, 2016,