I went to Guitar Center with the idea of seeing what kind of Telecaster might suit me. I played a bunch, but nothing really seemed all that great. For the heck of it, at the very end, I pulled a J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster off the wall and plugged it into to Blues Jr. amp. I loved the feel of the neck and the guitar sounded great to me. Unfortunately, this was close to when I had to leave, so I didn't get as much time with it as I would have liked. I'm not that familiar with Jazzmasters and never gave them a second thought until yesterday. I have a few questions for those with more experience with these guitars.

1. I really liked the sound of the pickups, but they looked different from any standard types I've run across (soapbar or dogear P90's, standard humbuckers, strat singlecoils, etc.). What exactly are these pickups and are they found on any other (Fender) guitar?

2. My first instinct is that I probably wouldn't use the rhythm circuit much (at all?). Is there a Jazzmaster that has all the other features but not the rhythm circuit? I hate to pay for something I'll never use.

3. I've seen a lot of discussion about strings slipping out of the bridge if you play hard. How much of this is an issue in real life?

4. Apart from Fender and Squier, are there any other models from other manufacturers that are close enough to a Jazzmaster to warrant a test drive?
Last edited by jds2 at Feb 28, 2016,
Quote by jds2
I went to Guitar Center with the idea of seeing what kind of Telecaster might suit me. I played a bunch, but nothing really seemed all that great. For the heck of it, at the very end, I pulled a J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster off the wall and plugged it into to Blues Jr. amp. I loved the feel of the neck and the guitar sounded great to me. Unfortunately, this was close to when I had to leave, so I didn't get as much time with it as I would have liked. I'm not that familiar with Jazzmasters and never gave them a second thought until yesterday. I have a few questions for those with more experience with these guitars.

1. I really liked the sound of the pickups, but they looked different from any standard types I've run across (soapbar or dogear P90's, standard humbuckers, strat singlecoils, etc.). What exactly are these pickups and are they found on any other (Fender) guitar?

2. My first instinct is that I probably wouldn't use the rhythm circuit much (at all?). Is there a Jazzmaster that has all the other features but not the rhythm circuit? I hate to pay for something I'll never use.

3. I've seen a lot of discussion about strings slipping out of the bridge if you play hard. How much of this is an issue in real life?

4. Apart from Fender and Squier, are there any other models from other manufacturers that are close enough to a Jazzmaster to warrant a test drive?

1 those pickups were specifically desinged for the jazzmaster and aren't the same as p90s. no other fenders use them.

2 not an expert but if you want an actual jazzmaster then they have that circuit. don't be so sure you'd never use it as it lends to a fair amount of tonal variations. don't be put off by the name it's a tonal circuit.

3 yes but again who exactly i couldn't tell you.
The pickups on a Jazzmaster are singlecoils, like a Strat's, just wider and lower in profile. They're a bit hotter than Strat pickups and I'm told they have a wider frequency response, though I'm not entirely sure that's a meaningful statement.

You won't be "paying for the rhythm circuit". It's a couple pots and a switch. It doesn't make any real difference to the amount of guitar you get for the money. I don't think there's a Jazzmaster with proper JM pickups that omits it, but I could be wrong. I believe J Mascis blocks the rhythm switch on his with a bit of eraser, for what it's worth.

On the J Mascis JM there's no issue of the strings slipping out of the bridge. That's an issue with the vintage style JM bridge, and in particular with the Vintage Modified Squier ones because the grooves on those are tiny. It's also an easy fix since you can chuck a Mustang bridge in there. The J Mascis model (and I believe a couple low-mid range Fender ones) uses a Tune-O-Matic style bridge instead which is also more stable and I'd say the more sensible choice unless you really want the full classic JM mojo.

Alternatives to offsets aren't really my area of expertise, but I think Reverend might have one or two. That's dannyalcatraz' realm, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Are the pickups the same between the VM and the JM Jazzmasters?
Quote by jds2
Are the pickups the same between the VM and the JM Jazzmasters?

no the pickups aren't exactly the same. as with any squier the ones tey use a a lower budget version.

the jazzmaster pickups were designed to have wider frequency range presumably since they were intended for jazz. they have a different sound than strat or tele pickups and don't have as much snarl as a p-90.
The VM I believe has Duncan Designed pickups that are more or less regular JM pups but possibly a tad hotter.

The JM I saw a rumour that they're basically P-90s in disguise under there (i.e. they have bar magnets under the poles instead of the poles themselves being the magnets) but I don't know that for sure.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
The pickups on the Mascis model are nothing like actual Jazzmaster pickups. I say this with authority because one is sitting a table in front of me--I have the guitar, I changed the pickups. They're basically P90s. They're fine pickups, more growl and mids than a Jazzmaster normally has, but I replaced them with Antiquities. And yeah, can confirm, I have never had a string pop out of a saddle, and I strum much too hard.

As far as I'm concerned, the rhythm circuit has two uses:
1: an octave fuzz preset, and
2: a mute.
So if either of those seems handy, you'll get plenty of use out of it. Either way, like K33nbl4d3 said, you're not paying extra for it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Go for it! Most JM buyers never look back.. plus the model in question are one of, if not the best looking ones IMO